I-485 / ESTA question

Old Sep 6th 2013, 8:49 am
Forum Regular

Samxboy has a reputation beyond reputeSamxboy has a reputation beyond reputeSamxboy has a reputation beyond reputeSamxboy has a reputation beyond reputeSamxboy has a reputation beyond reputeSamxboy has a reputation beyond reputeSamxboy has a reputation beyond reputeSamxboy has a reputation beyond reputeSamxboy has a reputation beyond reputeSamxboy has a reputation beyond reputeSamxboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-485 / ESTA question

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
Why do you reference M-579, which deals with change of status, when the OP has applied to adjust status?

Regards, JEff
Hello, I'm sure you know alot more about this than me...I used that example because based on what I've read a visitor entering the U.S. in WB (B-1) or WT (B-2) status should note that s/he is not eligible to change, extend, or adjust status in the U.S. In other words, s/he must first depart and reenter the country.
If as it appears there is an exception for a close relative then that's all very well. Great news and all that...I did say I was intrigued to know how. Maybe just a little explanation would help others understand.

Best regards,
Old Sep 6th 2013, 9:07 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

My kids likewise hated it when they wanted me to help them with their homework, but instead of telling them the answers I said things that pointed them in the right direction, or away from the wrong direction, but that required them to research and think for themselves to arrive at the answers. As adults they're more understanding than they were when they were teenagers.

Regards, JEff
Originally Posted by Samxboy
Maybe just a little explanation would help others understand.
Old Sep 6th 2013, 9:43 am
Just Joined

Joy-totheworld is an unknown quantity at this point

Very Odd, I thought my last message came through, but it hasn't for some reason!
OK. When the EB2 visa was granted, we were living in Bahrain. We applied for the visa from there, not in the US. As the US Embassy their can't process any kind of immigration for the US, the US immigration authorities told us that upon our entry into the US as tourists, they would change our status and be able to continue the I-485 process at this time. We had to be already in the US for this to happen. My husband has a NATO visa currently, and travels in & out of the US for work, but this ends in early Oct. He was also able to start the biometrics in July as he was here at the time. (Confused yet?).
So, I'm sure that hasn't made anything clearer, just wanted to answer the question earlier.
Joy.
Old Sep 6th 2013, 1:12 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Samxboy
A WB or WT cannot be changed to another visa status...
True... but she's not changing status. She's adjusting status - and there's a difference between the two. You are allowed to adjust status from the VWP if you are an immediate relative of a US citizen and, when you entered the US, you did not have the intent to stay.

Ian

Last edited by ian-mstm; Sep 6th 2013 at 1:22 pm.
Old Sep 9th 2013, 2:53 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

I'm getting a bad feeling about this. EB5 is not an immediate relative category so I really don't see how this person can successfully file a 485 after entry as a WT and be approved. The application may be dead on arrival for the WT traveler. Unlawful presence may not accrue with a timely 485 but that may not be the case if the application is found to be frivolous (no basis for approval). Am I missing something?

Being in a country where the required visa services are not available does not mean the required process can be ignored. You travel to a consulate that will process it. If that was an option then everyone would just move to Pitcairn Island or something.

The OP may need to get out before the 90 days and get the immigrant visa. Is an immigration attorney involved?
Old Sep 9th 2013, 3:36 am
Just Joined

HI,
Your referring to my initial enquiry. My husband has applied for an EB2 with National Interest Waiver, which has been granted. We have followed ALL the USA immigration directives thus far and things are progressing as we expect. It is not an EB5 - that is quite different. FYI, I eventually managed to speak to the USCIS who have confirmed that we need to apply for a 'parole' form (forgot the name right now) the leave for a week or so, but that everything is fine.
Thank you.
Old Sep 9th 2013, 3:48 am
BE Enthusiast

jxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Joy-totheworld
HI,
Your referring to my initial enquiry. My husband has applied for an EB2 with National Interest Waiver, which has been granted. We have followed ALL the USA immigration directives thus far and things are progressing as we expect. It is not an EB5 - that is quite different. FYI, I eventually managed to speak to the USCIS who have confirmed that we need to apply for a 'parole' form (forgot the name right now) the leave for a week or so, but that everything is fine.
Thank you.
I'm sorry but the law clearly says you cannot adjust status.

Please see the INA Section 245(c)(4)

(a) The status of an alien who was inspected and admitted or paroled into the United States 1/ or the status of any other alien having an approved petition for classification as a VAWA self-petitioner 1aa/ may be adjusted by the Attorney General, in his discretion and under such regulations as he may prescribe, to that of an alien lawfully admitted for permanent residence if

(1) the alien makes an application for such adjustment,

(2) the alien is eligible to receive an immigrant visa and is admissible to the United States for permanent residence, and

(3) an immigrant visa is immediately available to him at the time his application is filed.

(c) Other than an alien having an approved petition for classification as a VAWA self-petitioner, subsection (a) shall not be applicable to
(4) an alien (other than an immediate relative as defined in section 201(b) ) who was admitted as a nonimmigrant visitor without a visa under section 212(l) or section 217 ;
Old Sep 9th 2013, 3:56 am
Just Joined

Thank you for the info. To date, we have received letters from USCIS, etc and have done everything they have asked of us. We have not strayed from their requirements in any way. We will continue to do so as each stage is reached.
Old Sep 9th 2013, 4:03 am
BE Enthusiast

jxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for the info. To date, we have received letters from USCIS, etc and have done everything they have asked of us. We have not strayed from their requirements in any way. We will continue to do so as each stage is reached.
You do realize that, unless USCIS makes a mistake, your application should be denied? USCIS was happy to receive your I-485 and Biometric fee. That means nothing. You needed to come in on an immigrant visa. Get an immigration lawyer, it is still not too late to correct the course. You will need to withdraw your AOS, leave before the VWP expires, and apply to notify DOS so that you cna process and immigrant visa. Right now, you are going full speed towards an immigration train wreck.

P.S. I don't mean to be rude. I just think you haven't realized the extent of the problem.
Old Sep 9th 2013, 4:13 am
BE Enthusiast

zerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond repute

Your referring to my initial enquiry. My husband has applied for an EB2 with National Interest Waiver, which has been granted.
I suppose the question is what, exactly, has been granted. If the I-140 has been approved then that's great but it's only one part of the process. I'm as confused as everybody else about how you're going to adjust status from the VWP, since you're apparently not an immediate relative of a USC.

FYI, I eventually managed to speak to the USCIS who have confirmed that we need to apply for a 'parole' form (forgot the name right now) the leave for a week or so, but that everything is fine.
Depending on who you spoke to, this may or may not be accurate information. In particular, the first-level people on the USCIS customer service line frequently don't know what they're talking about. They're not liable if they give you the wrong information. If you haven't done so already I'd run this by an immigration lawyer. (Also, bear in mind that the I-131 usually takes about three months to process.)
Old Sep 9th 2013, 4:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by zerlesen
Depending on who you spoke to, this may or may not be accurate information. In particular, the first-level people on the USCIS customer service line frequently don't know what they're talking about. They're not liable if they give you the wrong information. If you haven't done so already I'd run this by an immigration lawyer. (Also, bear in mind that the I-131 usually takes about three months to process.)
USCIS will only notice a problem when the I-485 gets to the adjudicator and he goes by his checklist, and realizes you are not an immediate relative and you arrived under the VWP.
Old Sep 9th 2013, 4:25 am
Just Joined

Jxv73 - I sent you a private message.
Old Sep 9th 2013, 4:25 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

I'd like to add that on your 91st day, you will become what is known as an illegal alien and are summarily removeable from the US without a hearing. Neither the frivolous I-485 you filed nor the terrible immigration advice you received will insulate you from the 10 year bar that could be imposed on the spot. Also, you may be detained while flight arrangements are made. I'm not saying immigration agents will decide that you are a priority to apprehend over all of the criminals and fence jumpers but that is the category you will be in. If you depart 180 days after day 91 (and you must depart to file the proper applications) you will be barred from coming to the US for 3 years.

I know you think you know better but we know that the law does not allow adjustment from VWP to LPR with an employment based petition. That is a fact. The goal is not to be mean but to clearly convey the seriousness and gravity of the trouble you are in.

Last edited by crg; Sep 9th 2013 at 5:06 am.
Old Sep 9th 2013, 4:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Jxv73 - I sent you a private message.
Be careful with sending PMs there is no way for people to correct inaccurate advice.

I think this is a rather complex and unusual situation. You should consider a one time consultation with an experienced US immigration attorney.
Old Sep 9th 2013, 4:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Be careful with sending PMs there is no way for people to correct inaccurate advice.

I think this is a rather complex and unusual situation. You should consider a one time consultation with an experienced US immigration attorney.
+1

To te OP: Please clarify the sequence of events. I'm confused as to when you entered the US on the VWP. Was that when you applied for your I-485? Or was it to only get your biometrics? If it was only for your biometrics, then what status did you use to enter the US to submit the I-485?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.