Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

I-140 Approved, how long before Applying for I-485?

I-140 Approved, how long before Applying for I-485?

Old Apr 7th 2006, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

powburn is an unknown quantity at this point
Question I-140 Approved, how long before Applying for I-485?

Hi,

Labor Certification Priority date August 2005, approved in 60 days.
I-140 just approved today. Next step should be application for the I-485.

However, according to our lawyer we can't apply for the I-485 until our Priority Date becomes current and according to http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/bu...etin_2868.html
that looks like it'll be in about 9 years time for H1B candidates (employment based 3rd class - May 1st 2001) since the priority date they are processing has only been moving 15 days per calendar month for many months now.

Is our lawyer right that we're stuck in the middle of the Green Card Process for the next 9 years or thereabouts?
Just seems ridiculous amount of time to wait, about twice as long as the whole of the old process used to take.

Our lawyer also keeps mentioning some legislation that will be going before Congress to reduce or remove the throttle on the number of I-485's that can me processed each month. He hasn't been specific though, has anyone else heard of this legislation, I'd dearly like to look it up and check for myself.

Thanks.