Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

I 130 Approved April, just found out...HELP IM LOST

I 130 Approved April, just found out...HELP IM LOST

Old Nov 5th 2005, 6:13 pm
Forum Regular

Alicia&Driss is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I 130 Approved April, just found out...HELP IM LOST

Hey All..........I have a big BIG question if someone could please help me!!!
My husbands I 130 was approved in April and we didnt know! We got so tired of checking the online status...and working all the time, we forgot to check and wasn't really worried about it cause we figured we would get something in the mail. BUT we didnt!!!! Tonight we were getting ready to send his passport to get it renewed, and had the papers out so we thought we would check..........AND GUESS WHAT... APPROVED. We are really happy.....but totally confused. Cause since we dont have the letter we dont know if we were suppose to do something that maybe we missed, or what comes next....We are just totally lost. Does anyone know what comes next?????? Thanks yall
Old Nov 6th 2005, 2:33 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I 130 Approved April, just found out...HELP IM LOST

Originally Posted by Alicia&Driss
Hey All..........I have a big BIG question if someone could please help me!!!
My husbands I 130 was approved in April and we didnt know! We got so tired of checking the online status...and working all the time, we forgot to check and wasn't really worried about it cause we figured we would get something in the mail. BUT we didnt!!!! Tonight we were getting ready to send his passport to get it renewed, and had the papers out so we thought we would check..........AND GUESS WHAT... APPROVED. We are really happy.....but totally confused. Cause since we dont have the letter we dont know if we were suppose to do something that maybe we missed, or what comes next....We are just totally lost. Does anyone know what comes next?????? Thanks yall
Hi Alicia,

I remember you and Driss! So you never did AOS here after he arrived on his K-3? Normally you would have a choice now, either to AOS here the USA to get his green card interview here, or else for him to return to Casablanca for his immigrant visa processing over there, so he will be a permanent resident upon entry to the USA after that interview. But, since 7 months have passed since his I-130 approval, I'm not sure you can do the Casablanca route anymore...not sure if there is an expiration date on the approval or not.

If you never received an approval on the I-130 in the mail, how did you find out it's approved? The consulate told you?

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Nov 6th 2005, 2:50 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
If you never received an approval on the I-130 in the mail, how did you find out it's approved? The consulate told you?

Best Wishes,
Rene
It seems from her post that they finally remembered to check the status online.

I can empathise with that - first obsessively checking it almost every day and eventually getting so fed up you forget/can't be bothered to check at all!
Old Nov 6th 2005, 5:52 am
Forum Regular

Alicia&Driss is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Rene! I remember you too, glad to see your still here!!! Elvira is Exactly right, we use to check on line almost daily......then they sent our case to California....kept checking even more but no approval. Then in April we got a letter in the mail from New Hampshire. It wanted us to pay $70.00 for Biometrics, and when I called the 1800# for USCIS they told me just to send a paper stating Driss was here and that we would file for AOS when the I130 was approved. (Because at this point it wasn't approved.) After that we just figured that we would get a letter. And we have been working many hours and time together so valuable, we forgot to check online.
Well his passport is expired, so we finally got around to sending it to get an extension. We were hoping to travel to NY to do this, but right now it just seems impossible, so we went on line to check about mailing it. And while on line we remembered to check the I130. And low and behold it had been approved since April 23rd.
We were up all night going through papers!!! Well truthfully, I forgot about the AOS stuff too, So we have nothing done!!!!! And we really dont know what to do from what I read we need to do file an I485, Approximately how long does the AOS process take before an interview?? Should we go ahead and send the passport, and get it renewed?? Or wait and goto the interview with an expired one??
Thanks for your responses!!! BTW Rene, how are you and your husband doing? I hope everything is great for you both! Has he gotten use to the fast life here??
Old Nov 6th 2005, 11:04 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Hi Alicia,

I remember you and Driss! So you never did AOS here after he arrived on his K-3? Normally you would have a choice now, either to AOS here the USA to get his green card interview here, or else for him to return to Casablanca for his immigrant visa processing over there, so he will be a permanent resident upon entry to the USA after that interview. But, since 7 months have passed since his I-130 approval, I'm not sure you can do the Casablanca route anymore...not sure if there is an expiration date on the approval or not.

Best Wishes,
Rene
You have a year from the time you get the letter from NVC saying that they have your 130 file.
Old Nov 6th 2005, 11:40 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alicia&Driss
Hello Rene! I remember you too, glad to see your still here!!! Elvira is Exactly right, we use to check on line almost daily......then they sent our case to California....kept checking even more but no approval. Then in April we got a letter in the mail from New Hampshire. It wanted us to pay $70.00 for Biometrics, and when I called the 1800# for USCIS they told me just to send a paper stating Driss was here and that we would file for AOS when the I130 was approved. (Because at this point it wasn't approved.) After that we just figured that we would get a letter. And we have been working many hours and time together so valuable, we forgot to check online.
Well his passport is expired, so we finally got around to sending it to get an extension. We were hoping to travel to NY to do this, but right now it just seems impossible, so we went on line to check about mailing it. And while on line we remembered to check the I130. And low and behold it had been approved since April 23rd.
We were up all night going through papers!!! Well truthfully, I forgot about the AOS stuff too, So we have nothing done!!!!! And we really dont know what to do from what I read we need to do file an I485, Approximately how long does the AOS process take before an interview?? Should we go ahead and send the passport, and get it renewed?? Or wait and goto the interview with an expired one??
Thanks for your responses!!! BTW Rene, how are you and your husband doing? I hope everything is great for you both! Has he gotten use to the fast life here??
Hi Alicia,

If you still want to file AOS here, read up on it at www.uscis.gov, how do I adjust my status to permanent resident? A lot has changed since you were around here last year, so read up on it and then we'll be happy to answer specifics. How long it takes depends on your local office backlog. What's your local office?

Sadegh and I are doing great! He got his green card in July of this year, so we are immigration-free until 2007 when we have to remove conditions. Yes, he's getting used to the fast pace here, and the fact that it's all work, work, work. We can't believe he's been in the USA for a year and 7 months now. Time is really flying by!

Best Wishes,
Rene