Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Howto get rid of your old nationality's passport when become a US Citizen?

Howto get rid of your old nationality's passport when become a US Citizen?

Old Sep 28th 2006, 5:41 pm
Forum Regular

shahrokh22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Howto get rid of your old nationality's passport when become a US Citizen?

Thanks for your sugesstion. As a matter of fact I did what you just said a few days ago and the security office told me not to worry about it. They explained the process to me and they said that they can destroy the passport and issue a confirmation letter.
I need to thank you, Rene and Folinskyinla, since your suggestions were the most logical ones.

Originally Posted by luivega
Being a British citizen who was formerly married to a person with a high security clearance, whilst he was active duty abroad, and then later working in the defence industry requiring the same clearance I can tell you that it doesn't matter what all the written rules say about foreign passports on any website.

You need to go and talk to the security officer that handles the firm your wife is going to be working for.

It is going to depend on the project she is working on, the skills she has and the clearance required. Each case is handled individually, and the security officer will tell you exactly what she needs to do and the possibilities. Depending on the level of the project, if background checks cannot be done on close family members it doesn't matter if you get up on CNN and denounce your former country, you won't get a high clearance. Secret will probably be the most.

I have a very funny story about US officials going through my parents and my sisters trash, but thats for another time.

Incidentally, I hold a green card, but as a foreign national I could never visit my ex-husband's civilian office. The furthest I could go was the firms parking lot

Anway, to summarise, the key is talking to the firm's security officer and getting precise instructions from him/her.

Andrea
Old Sep 28th 2006, 6:21 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Howto get rid of your old nationality's passport when become a US Citizen?

Originally Posted by shahrokh22
TThey explained the process to me and they said that they can destroy the passport and issue a confirmation letter.
How do they track whether you just got another one?

Just renewed mine, took 9 days from sending the old one to the new one arriving.
Old Sep 28th 2006, 6:29 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler

Just renewed mine, took 9 days from sending the old one to the new one arriving.
From what I understand, it's extremely difficult to get a renewed Iranian passport if you don't have the original one to give back to them. Sadegh was in a situation like this, and it took him 18 months to get a replacement.

Rene
Old Sep 28th 2006, 6:31 pm
Forum Regular

luivega has a reputation beyond reputeluivega has a reputation beyond reputeluivega has a reputation beyond reputeluivega has a reputation beyond reputeluivega has a reputation beyond reputeluivega has a reputation beyond reputeluivega has a reputation beyond reputeluivega has a reputation beyond reputeluivega has a reputation beyond reputeluivega has a reputation beyond reputeluivega has a reputation beyond repute

Its for security clearance. You just don't ever try anything dodgy when you're going for security clearance or you can never get clearance again, and therefore your job options are limited.

Depending on the level you have, they go through your trash, interview your family and friends, old employers, your doctor, your neighbours, have people watch you in your social gatherings. You sent your passport in the mail? They would know. You visited a consulate? They would know.

Andrea (wrapping tin foil on her head)
Old Sep 28th 2006, 6:36 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Noorah101
From what I understand, it's extremely difficult to get a renewed Iranian passport if you don't have the original one to give back to them. Sadegh was in a situation like this, and it took him 18 months to get a replacement.

Rene
So its just an issue for Iranians?
Old Sep 28th 2006, 6:48 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

So its just an issue for Iranians?
Iran and USA are the only countries I have experience with....I don't know about any other countries.

Rene