Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Howto get rid of your old nationality's passport when become a US Citizen?

Howto get rid of your old nationality's passport when become a US Citizen?

Old Sep 19th 2006, 7:03 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Howto get rid of your old nationality's passport when become a US Citizen?

Originally Posted by shahrokh22
Hi Everybody,

This is so surprising to me. Most of you people live in the states and some of you are US Citizen by birth and still you do not have any idea that one of the largest industries in the United States is the Defense Industry and in order to join it you need to surrender your passport (normally to your country of birth embassy) but you dont have to renounce your citizenship if you obtained it by birth.

My wife will have her Master of Science in Computer Information Systems in 7 months and hopefully she will have her Citizenship certificate by then and she will start looking for work in the defense industry (beginning with where I work).
She needs to surrender her passport but Iran's Embassy does not accept passports to be surrendered anymore. And we cannot let it expire, since it will take a long time.
We are looking for a way for my wife to get rid of her passport (and get a receipt from a legal authority) before she attends a job interview (before she has to fill out a security clearance form).

Can she surrender her passport to the judge at her swearing ceremony? Is there any other authority that she can surrender her passport to?
Hi:

Thank you for clarifying the question. You have now given a reason why she is interested. I still don't believe that the presiding officer at the swearing in will take it. [BTW, note I did not say "judge" -- the administration of the oath by Judges is not generally done, with Los Angeles being an exception. A long story].

You might want to contact the Department of Defense [I don't know who] and inquire.

As a weird "out of the box" thought, she might want to file a delcaratory relief action naming DOD as defendant that she is not an Iranian citizen or perhaps an action in the "Nature of Interpleader" naming Iran as a party.

NOTE: the above paragraph is NOT "legal advice" -- just some idle, albeit educated, speculation.

Interesting question.
Old Sep 19th 2006, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

shahrokh22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Howto get rid of your old nationality's passport when become a US Citizen?

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Write an affidavit that you put it through the shredder/flushed it down the toilet/burnt it in the barbecue/posted it to the embassy in Washington. Sign it with a witnessing notary.
Thanks for your suggestion. I think we have to sign an affidavit, in case we could not convince the judge to help us with it.
Old Sep 19th 2006, 7:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

andrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your suggestion. I think we have to sign an affidavit, in case we could not convince the judge to help us with it.
Why would an American judge want your passport?
Old Sep 19th 2006, 7:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

Thank you for clarifying the question. You have now given a reason why she is interested. I still don't believe that the presiding officer at the swearing in will take it. [BTW, note I did not say "judge" -- the administration of the oath by Judges is not generally done, with Los Angeles being an exception. A long story].

You might want to contact the Department of Defense [I don't know who] and inquire.

As a weird "out of the box" thought, she might want to file a delcaratory relief action naming DOD as defendant that she is not an Iranian citizen or perhaps an action in the "Nature of Interpleader" naming Iran as a party.

NOTE: the above paragraph is NOT "legal advice" -- just some idle, albeit educated, speculation.

Interesting question.
Hi Folin,
I almost missed your reply since it was on the second page.
I think what you said is the most proper approach. I have to contact the DOD (DSS in fact) and ask them about this.
Thanks for the tip.

Sincerely Yours,

Shahrokh
Old Sep 19th 2006, 7:25 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by andrea874
Why would an American judge want your passport?
I never said that a judge WANTS anybody's passport. Read the question again, please.
Old Sep 19th 2006, 7:29 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

... in order to join it you need to surrender your passport (normally to your country of birth embassy) but you dont have to renounce your citizenship if you obtained it by birth.
This is quite interesting. I am a UK citizen by birth, a naturalized Canadian, and a naturalized US citizen. Are you suggesting that I would be expected to return my UK passport but maintain my UK citizenship, and that I would have to return my CDN passport *and* renounce my Canadian citizenship in order to work at the DoD? Wow... that's a bit harsh, eh?

Ian
Old Sep 19th 2006, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
This is quite interesting. I am a UK citizen by birth, a naturalized Canadian, and a naturalized US citizen. Are you suggesting that I would be expected to return my UK passport but maintain my UK citizenship, and that I would have to return my CDN passport *and* renounce my Canadian citizenship in order to work at the DoD? Wow... that's a bit harsh, eh?

Ian
Hi Ian,

If you need to obtain a security clearance, ABSOLUTELY.
Old Sep 19th 2006, 8:01 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Y'see... this is why I love this forum. Every day I learn new things!

Ian
Old Sep 19th 2006, 8:03 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Ian,

doing so might not be enough to get security clearance though, or any decent level if you still have ties to your old home country such as relatives, friends, property etc...
Old Sep 19th 2006, 8:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

andrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond repute

I never said that a judge WANTS anybody's passport. Read the question again, please.
I know what youre asking, but I'm saying.. why would an AMERICAN judge have ANY interest in taking your foreign passport and doing anything with it? Its your responsibility to deal with that stuff yourself
Old Sep 19th 2006, 8:14 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Ian,

Unless things have recently been changed, this is not true. My Canadian, now American husband, worked for the US Department of Defense in the 1960's and he is high clearance from both the Canadian and US Governments. He was not asked to surrender his Canadian passport.

He also at the moment has high security clearance with the US Army, he is a Major, as maintains the communications for both the National and State Guard in lower New York State. He has retained both his US and Canadian passports.
Old Sep 19th 2006, 8:15 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Boiler
Trash

Shredder

Or you could recycle?
So why do not my comments meet the requirement?
Old Sep 19th 2006, 8:17 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Everybody,

This is so surprising to me. Most of you people live in the states and some of you are US Citizen by birth and still you do not have any idea that one of the largest industries in the United States is the Defense Industry and in order to join it you need to surrender your passport (normally to your country of birth embassy) but you dont have to renounce your citizenship if you obtained it by birth.
Wow what an elitist attitude you have there. For the most part few American citizens apply for positions within the US Defense Industry and therefore would be unfamiliar with the placement criteria.

Also I just thought of this in regards to my other post, my former son-in-law had to obtain security clearance for his computer position in the US Government in DC. He was not asked to return his Israeli passport nor his Russian passport.
Old Sep 19th 2006, 8:53 pm
L D Jones

Default Re: Howto get rid of your old nationality's passport when become

shahrokh22 wrote:
    >> Hi There,
    >> Does anybody know how to get rid of your old nationality passport when
    >> you become a US Citizen WITHOUT sending it to the Embassy?
    >> Can you hand-in your passport when you attend the swearing ceremony to
    >> the judge and ask him to give you a receipt?
    >> Is there any other way?
    >> Thank You,
    >> Shahrokh22
    >
    > Hi Everybody,
    >
    > This is so surprising to me. Most of you people live in the states and
    > some of you are US Citizen by birth and still you do not have any idea
    > that one of the largest industries in the United States is the Defense
    > Industry and in order to join it you need to surrender your passport
    > (normally to your country of birth embassy) but you dont have to
    > renounce your citizenship if you obtained it by birth.
    >
    > My wife will have her Master of Science in Computer Information Systems
    > in 7 months and hopefully she will have her Citizenship certificate by
    > then and she will start looking for work in the defense industry
    > (beginning with where I work).
    > She needs to surrender her passport but Iran's Embassy does not accept
    > passports to be surrendered anymore. And we cannot let it expire, since
    > it will take a long time.
    > We are looking for a way for my wife to get rid of her passport (and get
    > a receipt from a legal authority) before she attends a job interview
    > (before she has to fill out a security clearance form).
    >
    > Can she surrender her passport to the judge at her swearing ceremony? Is
    > there any other authority that she can surrender her passport to?
    >

It seems odd that she could suddenly become eligible for "defense" jobs
simply by getting rid of her Iranian passport. In any application,
particularly if she intends to obtain a security clearance, I would
expect she will be asked if she is a citizen of another country (or it
will eventually come up in the investigation) and this will determine in
large part whether or not she can be granted a clearance, not the
physical possession of the passport. It could depend on the clearance
and agency involved.

Old Sep 19th 2006, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rete
Wow what an elitist attitude you have there. For the most part few American citizens apply for positions within the US Defense Industry and therefore would be unfamiliar with the placement criteria.

Also I just thought of this in regards to my other post, my former son-in-law had to obtain security clearance for his computer position in the US Government in DC. He was not asked to return his Israeli passport nor his Russian passport.
By any standard, this is IMPRACTICAL. Then why even bother with a clearance if you can keep multiple passports.

Maybe your former son-in-law did not have a clearance. If you try to define the clearance, you will realise that it is impossible to have more than one passport (you can only have a US Passport), since it contradicts the US DOD law.

Please read the security clearance guidelines in this site:

http://usmilitary.about.com/library/...oreignpref.htm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.