Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

How much money allowed to take to usa.

How much money allowed to take to usa.

Old Aug 15th 2009, 4:05 am
Just Joined

ehsanbaluch is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How much money allowed to take to usa.

Hello again.

Well i want to know like how much i can take to usa. My family is like of 4 person. (Me, my husband and two daughter 5 years and 3 years).

Is there any rule regarding the amount to take to usa?
one of my friend told me like its 10,000 $
so is the amount limit for the whole family of per person ?

Thanks and Regards
Old Aug 15th 2009, 5:34 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How much money allowed to take to usa.

Check out this thread: ready to move: what about cash?

~ Jenney
Old Aug 15th 2009, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

Tonyuk is just really niceTonyuk is just really niceTonyuk is just really niceTonyuk is just really niceTonyuk is just really niceTonyuk is just really niceTonyuk is just really niceTonyuk is just really nice

under $10,000 in cash and/or goods, when you fill out customs declaration on plane, i plan on taking $9500 cash to avoid this do not take $10000 or over keep it under
Old Aug 15th 2009, 12:23 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ehsanbaluch
Despite what other people have told you, there is *no* restriction on how much money you can bring into the US with you. However, if you bring in $10,000 or more, you must make an IRS declaration at the port of entry... and that might lead to an IRS audit as part of their effort to combat money laundering.

That said, there is nothing wrong in bringing in as much money as you think you'll need.

Ian
Old Aug 15th 2009, 5:27 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ehsanbaluch
Hello again.

Well i want to know like how much i can take to usa. My family is like of 4 person. (Me, my husband and two daughter 5 years and 3 years).

Thanks and Regards
Hi:

There is NO LIMIT to how much you can bring in. That said, there are reporting requirements which kick in at $10,000. The 1998 Bajakajian case from the Supreme Court is of interest. A currency sniffing dog was patroling the departure lounge in LAX which caused them to be questioned -- guy said he had less than 10K when he, in fact, had 350K. The question was whether or not forfeiture of the 350K was an "excessive fine" prohibited by the Constitution. I recall be surprised by the outcome because Clarence Thomas wrote the decision.
Old Aug 16th 2009, 12:18 am
Pedantic Moron

Michelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

There is NO LIMIT to how much you can bring in. That said, there are reporting requirements which kick in at $10,000. The 1998 Bajakajian case from the Supreme Court is of interest. A currency sniffing dog was patroling the departure lounge in LAX which caused them to be questioned -- guy said he had less than 10K when he, in fact, had 350K. The question was whether or not forfeiture of the 350K was an "excessive fine" prohibited by the Constitution. I recall be surprised by the outcome because Clarence Thomas wrote the decision.
So what was the decision?

When I came over, I brought $17,500 cash with me. I declared it all at the time I landed, as failure to do so risks some or all of the funds being forfeited and confiscated. However, trying to explain what i wanted and then getting the customs officials to understand and find the form I needed to fill in was a nightmare. I would recommend filling the form in ahead of time if you can find it online.
Old Aug 16th 2009, 12:52 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Michelmas
So what was the decision?

When I came over, I brought $17,500 cash with me. I declared it all at the time I landed, as failure to do so risks some or all of the funds being forfeited and confiscated. However, trying to explain what i wanted and then getting the customs officials to understand and find the form I needed to fill in was a nightmare. I would recommend filling the form in ahead of time if you can find it online.
Hi:

Apparently, the guy had the money legitimately -- no illegal purpose, he just lied about it. Total forfeiture was found to be an "excessive fine." As I said, the decision is notable that the author, Clarence Thomas usually agrees with Antonin Scalia. Scalia dissented in this one.
Old Aug 17th 2009, 3:07 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, Clarence sided with the liberal wing of the court!

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

Old Aug 17th 2009, 3:59 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
Wow, Clarence sided with the liberal wing of the court!

Regards, JEff
Maybe he was sleeping & got mixed up.