Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

how much for the medical exam in USA?

how much for the medical exam in USA?

Old Apr 24th 2003, 2:16 am
BE Enthusiast

anggraeni is just really niceanggraeni is just really niceanggraeni is just really niceanggraeni is just really niceanggraeni is just really niceanggraeni is just really niceanggraeni is just really niceanggraeni is just really nice
Default how much for the medical exam in USA?

hi everybody.

we are about to have my medical exam for my adjustment of status requirement. the questiona are:

1. can it be done before the wedding?
2. if it can be done before the wedding, means i am not in his insurance yet so we have to pay full. how much do you pay for the tests? i am looking for some clues.

thanks friends, any inputs are welcomed. by the way, we are going to get married in may 2nd! yihaaaaaa!!! :P

have a nice day!
anggraeni and douglas
Old Apr 24th 2003, 2:37 am
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

I haven't heard of anyone's medical insurance that was willing to cover the cost of a BCIS medical so this probably isn't an issue. ( If anyone has managed to wangle this I'd be grateful to know how as I can do it for my daughter's medical).

I don't know of any reason why you couldn't have it done before getting married but it's only good for 1 year I believe so if processing takes longer than this (including the possible marriage interview, though I believe that this may be waivered for a K-1) it is likely that you will be required to submit a new medical at the interview.

Cost - depends where you live and where you go. Medicals appear to be pretty reasonable here by average standards. $100/200 not including x-ray, although my x-ray was only $30 and was ready the same day.

Several people have reported paying considerably more - $500/800.

My figure did not include any vaccinations as I did not need any but was for the full BCIS medical as I AOS'ed in the US.
Old Apr 24th 2003, 2:41 am
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

Main tips - call around for quotes . Ask them if they provide you with a copy of whatever is in the "sealed brown envelope". ( Some do and some don't, mine did and I found it helpful to know even though I didn't have any reason to suspect anything may be wrong).

Some of the K-1 er's ( and former K-1er's) can no doubt answer this more accurately but I believe that some of them did not have to submit a full medical just a vaccination supplement ? As they had already undergone a medical prior to issuance of the fiancee/fiance visa.
Old Apr 24th 2003, 2:42 am
BE Enthusiast

mrsm is an unknown quantity at this point

I recommend you you shop around the assigned BCIS doctors in your area. I only had two to choose from in my area but it still cost me $470 (I don't have insurance either)! I had to have my MMR and DPT vaccinations again. You may not have to have them if you have your immunization records from childhood on hand. The medical itself was very easy otherwise, I had the vaccinations, two lots of blood drawn for testing of HIV and other STD's and a TB skin test. Had my reflexes tested and that was that. I didn't have to "disrobe" as they say, just rolled my sleeve up. I went back after two days for TB skin test results, then had to wait a week for the blood tests to come back - all negative. I didn't need to have an X-ray due to the TB skin test. The medical itself was $357, and I later got a bill for $113 for the lab work. Most people haven't paid that much, it varies on where you are in the US, so shop around.
Good Luck with everything!
Old Apr 24th 2003, 2:47 am
BE Enthusiast

anggraeni is just really niceanggraeni is just really niceanggraeni is just really niceanggraeni is just really niceanggraeni is just really niceanggraeni is just really niceanggraeni is just really niceanggraeni is just really nice

thanks, guys. so my fiance really has to pay full. ok. and yes thank you for your idea, we will shop around, although there are only 2 places near my city. but we will call more to find out.

any more inputs?

anggraeni
Old Apr 24th 2003, 11:38 am
Ron

Default Re: how much for the medical exam in USA?

Depends on the coverage whether the physical would be covered. Mine covers
routine physicals IF the MD is a "preferred provider". I'll have to dig up
my explanation of benefits to make sure.

"lairdside" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > I haven't heard of anyone's medical insurance that was willing to cover
    > the cost of a BCIS medical so this probably isn't an issue. ( If anyone
    > has managed to wangle this I'd be grateful to know how as I can do it
    > for my daughter's medical).
    > I don't know of any reason why you couldn't have it done before getting
    > married but it's only good for 1 year I believe so if processing takes
    > longer than this (including the possible marriage interview, though I
    > believe that this may be waivered for a K-1) it is likely that you will
    > be required to submit a new medical at the interview.
    > Cost - depends where you live and where you go. Medicals appear to be
    > pretty reasonable here by average standards. $100/200 not including
    > x-ray, although my x-ray was only $30 and was ready the same day.
    > Several people have reported paying considerably more - $500/800.
    > My figure did not include any vaccinations as I did not need any but was
    > for the full BCIS medical as I AOS'ed in the US.
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com