How Long till.....

Old Oct 18th 2006, 3:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

andrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How Long till.....

Originally Posted by UKintheUSA
Once the foreigner gets their Temporary Green Card, how long till they can apply for US Citizenship? I know my husband won't have his permanent GC for a year or so and we were just talking about him becoming a US Citizen recently. He wants to apply. When can he do this and how long does it normally take? I tried searching and could really not find anything on USCIS's site with my search words. maybe I am searching incorrectly.
Thanks.
Debs
3 yrs after he becomes a PR
Old Oct 18th 2006, 3:10 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andrea874
3 yrs after he becomes a PR
So long as he is still married to you.... else five years.
Old Oct 18th 2006, 3:10 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

2 years and 9 months after the date of approval on his GC ...
he can then APPLY ...
Old Oct 18th 2006, 3:50 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Please note as an aside to these replies that the CPR which is what Garry is (it is not a temporary green card btw) counts as PR status. So it 3 years from the date his I-485 was approved which would be the date on his green card. All other requirements must be met. Obtain a copy of the guide to naturalization from the USCIS website.

Once the foreigner gets their Temporary Green Card, how long till they can apply for US Citizenship? I know my husband won't have his permanent GC for a year or so and we were just talking about him becoming a US Citizen recently. He wants to apply. When can he do this and how long does it normally take? I tried searching and could really not find anything on USCIS's site with my search words. maybe I am searching incorrectly.
Thanks.
Debs
Old Oct 18th 2006, 3:51 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Please note as an aside to these replies that the CPR which is what Garry is (it is not a temporary green card btw) counts as PR status. So it 3 years from the date his I-485 was approved which would be the date on his green card. All other requirements must be met. Obtain a copy of the guide to naturalization from the USCIS website.

Added: Look on the form list for N-400 and you will see the Guide listed.
Old Oct 18th 2006, 4:42 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks.
Debs
From a post of mine, collecting most of the links you need:
http://www.visajourney.com/forums/in...?showtopic=311

USCIS Frequently Asked Questions on Naturalization (becoming a US Citizen):
http://uscis.gov/graphics/faqsgen.htm#naturalization

Naturalization Home Page: http://uscis.gov/graphics/services/natz/index.htm

General Naturalization Requirements
http://uscis.gov/graphics/services/natz/general.htm

Naturalization: Waivers, Exceptions, and Special Cases
Family Members of U.S. Citizens
Spouses of U.S. Citizens
http://uscis.gov/graphics/services/natz/Special.htm

Frequently Asked Questions About Naturalization
http://uscis.gov/graphics/services/natz/faq.htm#Top

In general, if you have been a Permanent Resident for three years and have been married to and living in a valid marital union with the same U.S. citizen spouse for all three years AND you meet the other criteria (Residence and Physical Presence, Good Moral Character, Language etc), you are eligible for naturalization.

So called "conditional residents" are Permanent Residents nonetheless.

5. When does my time as a Permanent Resident begin?

Your time as a Permanent Resident begins on the date you were granted permanent resident status. This date is on your Permanent Resident Card (formerly known as Alien Registration Card). Click here to view a sample card.

Physical Presence Is Important!
"An applicant is eligible to file if, immediately preceding the filing of the application, he or she:

-has been lawfully admitted for permanent residence (see preceding section);
-has resided continuously as a lawful permanent resident in the U.S. for at least 5 years prior to filing with no single absence from the United States of more than one year;
-has been physically present in the United States for at least 30 months out of the previous five years (absences of more than six months but less than one year shall disrupt the applicant's continuity of residence unless the applicant can establish that he or she did not abandon his or her residence during such period)
-has resided within a state or district for at least three months"
(for spouses of US Citizens filing under the "3 year" exception rule, change all "5 year" notes to 3 years)

Note from me: From the day you become a Permanent Resident, start keeping track of ALL time spent out of the US, including dates and dates of travel. Keep this list in one place, where it is easy for you to get at, and it will make completing N-400 much, much easier! Especially good idea for Canadians who cross the border a lot. Everyone should save whatever travel documentation available should it be required.

Fun!
Test Yourself on U.S. History
100 Sample U.S. History Questions with Answers
These are the actual interview questions. Applicants should know all 100 questions, although a random 10 are selected and asked in the interview.
(links inbedded in the thread; click thru)

"There are also exceptions for lawful permanent residents married to U.S. citizens stationed or employed abroad. Some lawful permanent residents may not have to comply with the residence or physical presence requirements when the U.S. citizen spouse is employed by one of the following:"
(see this page for more info)

There are also special rules for children. Please see the preceding links for more information on children and naturalization.

Dual Citizenship FAQ
Dual Nationality and
United States Law
by Rich Wales

http://www.richw.org/dualcit/
Old Oct 18th 2006, 7:21 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
... (it is not a temporary green card btw)...
When you think about it, while the status continues (well, usually)... all green cards are temporary since they all have expiry dates.

Ian