Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

How long should I wait before launching an inquiry?

How long should I wait before launching an inquiry?

Old Dec 9th 2005, 8:09 am
Just Joined

Sara Jones is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How long should I wait before launching an inquiry?

Just wondering how many days after approval should I wait for the green card in the mail before launching an inquiry?

Last edited by Sara Jones; Dec 9th 2005 at 8:13 am.
Old Dec 9th 2005, 8:25 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long should I wait before launching an inquiry?

Originally Posted by Sara Jones
Just wondering how many days after approval should I wait for the green card in the mail before launching an inquiry?
Oh... by all means, wait at least 5 days. If you inquire any sooner than that, they'll think you're being pushy!

Ian
Old Dec 9th 2005, 8:26 am
Just Joined

Sara Jones is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Oh... by all means, wait at least 5 days. If you inquire any sooner than that, they'll think you're being pushy!

Ian
5 days!! I thought we had to wait 30-60 days or something. How soon are most people getting theirs? I am in New York.
Old Dec 9th 2005, 8:59 am
THE Member

Seanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud of

5 days!! I thought we had to wait 30-60 days or something. How soon are most people getting theirs? I am in New York.
I'm not a rocket scientist, but I think Ian was being sarcastic. just be patient, and give it at least a few weeks. USCIS recently issued a recall for over 30 000 GC (I think it was) which need to be re-issued, so that might slow processing down for a lot of service centers too.

-Sean
Old Dec 9th 2005, 9:23 am
Banned

Matthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond repute

I would say if it hasn't arrived at the 6 month mark after the approval date, contact the Service Center and ask them to look in their PONDS Unit. When greencards are returned to a Service Center by the post office (as non deliverable) they go to a Service Center's PONDS Unit where they “usually” keep them for 6 months (I think I recall one of the Service Centers saying they keep them for a bit longer than that, but I can’t remember if that was the NSC or one of the other Service Centers…. I’d really have to dig out my tour notes to know for sure). If left unclaimed, they are then destroyed.
Old Dec 9th 2005, 12:57 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

They usually arrive within a week, so no that sarcastic. But there may be current delays for the reson mentioned.