Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

How long from I-140 approval to Packet 3?

How long from I-140 approval to Packet 3?

Old Feb 22nd 2001, 8:22 am
Berend Ozceri

Could anyone tell me how long it typically takes for the National Visa Center to send the
Packet 3 after an I-140 approval (from CSC in this case)? The priority date is current and
there shouldn't be an interview backlog at the consulate.

Also, the NVC seems to have current Packet 3 forms available online. Does this mean that
one does not need to wait for the official "packet" to arrive to send in the application
to the consulate?

Thanks,

Berend

Old Feb 22nd 2001, 3:12 pm
Joachim Feise

Berend Ozceri wrote:
>
> Could anyone tell me how long it typically takes for the National Visa Center to send
> the Packet 3 after an I-140 approval (from CSC in this case)? The priority date is
> current and there shouldn't be an interview backlog at the consulate.

It all depends on how long it takes CSC to send the file to NVC. That can take from 1 week
to a couple of months. Once the file is at NVC, it usually takes 4-6 weeks.

> Also, the NVC seems to have current Packet 3 forms available online. Does this mean that
> one does not need to wait for the official "packet" to arrive to send in the application
> to the consulate?

At the same time NVC sends you the P3, it sends the file to the consulate. If you send the
P3 forms to the consulate before they get your file, they don't know what to do with the
forms, and they may just discard them. Note that depending on the country, you may get
more forms in your P3 than the ones that are online.

-Joe