Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

How long is the I-130 waiting time for spouse of US citizen??

How long is the I-130 waiting time for spouse of US citizen??

Old Feb 2nd 2001, 2:47 am
Ashish Tambar

Hello Everyone, I filed my I-130 application for my wife (who is in india) to the Vermont
centre in January this year. I live in Buffalo, NY and am a US citizen. Could someone
please tell me how long the waiting list will be for us? I received a notice of receipt
from INS today. How long before i receive the notice of approval? and how long will the
whole process take? Officials at the US embassy in india said, they will process the
papers within a month after they receive them from US. Is there any way to speed up the
process? What should we do next? How long is the total waiting time? Your help wll be very
much appreciated. Thank you, Ashish

Old Feb 2nd 2001, 11:44 am
Alvena Ferreira

Ashish Tambar wrote:
> I filed my I-130 application for my wife (who is in india) to the Vermont centre in
> January this year. I live in Buffalo, NY and am a US citizen. Could someone please tell
> me how long the waiting list will be for us? I received a notice of receipt from INS
> today. How long before i receive the notice of approval? and how long will the whole
> process take? Officials at the US embassy in india said, they will process the papers
> within a month after they receive them from US. Is there any way to speed up the
> process? What should we do next? How long is the total waiting time? Your help wll be
> very much appreciated.

Frankly, you should expect this to take the better part of a year. Once the petition is
approved, it will go to the National Visa Center, and they will ask for you to complete
the I-864 affidavit of support, and then after that is approved, they will forward the
petition on to India consulate. But it may be several months before you even get the
approval notice from Vermont, frankly.

alvena

Old Feb 2nd 2001, 12:35 pm
indiandiva13

Hi Ashish, I was in the same boat as you last year. My spouse is from India as well, so
here's my timeline, I hope this helps: Sent my I-130 into the VSC: April 12, 2000 Recieved
approval from the VSC: November 22, 2000 Recieved the I-864 (aff. of support) from NVC:
January 26, 2000

So, I am expecting my spouse to be here in April. There's a short cut you can take. After
the NVC sends you the case number (BMB number), instead of waiting for the NVC to send the
packet 3 to your wife in India, you can download all the forms and send them to her
directly. This will save you about 6-8 weeks, and this way as soon as the NVC sends you
the packet with the I-864 and the case number, your spouse can forward all the necessary
paperwork to the bombay consulate. Hope this helps! In article
<[email protected]>,

> Hello Everyone, I filed my I-130 application for my wife (who is in india) to the
> Vermont centre in January this year. I live in Buffalo, NY and am a US citizen. Could
> someone please tell me how long the waiting list will
be
> for us? I received a notice of receipt from INS today. How long
before i
> receive the notice of approval? and how long will the whole process take? Officials at
> the US embassy in india said, they will process the papers within a month after they
> receive them from US. Is there any
way
> to speed up the process? What should we do next? How long is the total waiting time?
> Your help wll be very much appreciated. Thank you, Ashish