Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

How long have you lived in your new country?

How long have you lived in your new country?

Old Aug 6th 2008, 6:59 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How long have you lived in your new country?

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Gotta spread, but it was gonna be good...
i like you owing me
Old Aug 6th 2008, 7:00 pm
Greatly Missed. RIP

DollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Texas Mom
Been in TX just over two years.
Just got back yesterday from eight weeks in the UK. I am surprised to say that I was home sick for TX and am very happy to be back. Maybe it had something to do with living with my parents again after ten years of standing on my own two feet
Welcome Back!
Old Aug 6th 2008, 7:16 pm
Lurk Lurk Lurk

tinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of light

I've been here for 9 1/2 years. I'm not yet a citizen (got my interview tomorrow), but I've been a permanent resident for about 7 years now.

I do still feel British, although when I go home people tell me I sound American. Yet I still get comments about my British accent here in the US.

(I suppose the fact that I just referred to Britain as "home" is a tell of how I feel! LOL)
Old Aug 6th 2008, 7:19 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
i like you owing me
I'm a spreading fool...
Old Aug 6th 2008, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

peteandvanessa has a spectacular aura aboutpeteandvanessa has a spectacular aura aboutpeteandvanessa has a spectacular aura about

my son lived in Tx for 2 yrs but like you he is much happier in Ca... mind you, i think that's coz of his gf he found there
Actually I meant moving back to the UK was a big mistake. I loved Texas (but I also like CA too, either are preferable to me than the UK)
Old Aug 6th 2008, 7:25 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
I'm a spreading fool...
good
Old Aug 6th 2008, 7:28 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by peteandvanessa
Actually I meant moving back to the UK was a big mistake. I loved Texas (but I also like CA too, either are preferable to me than the UK)
well it takes all sorts and glad that you feel settled as lots of expats that causes a big problem for them, they never can settle..... however that's not a problem for me i'm pleased to say.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 7:56 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

21 years. Paddington Green is probably the only ( or one of few) member on BE that has been in the US longer................... yet I still feel a sense of not exactly fitting in or feeling like this is home for me.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

peteandvanessa has a spectacular aura aboutpeteandvanessa has a spectacular aura aboutpeteandvanessa has a spectacular aura about

well it takes all sorts and glad that you feel settled as lots of expats that causes a big problem for them, they never can settle..... however that's not a problem for me i'm pleased to say.
Yeah, and I was the idiot who thought we wouldn't come back to the US so we didn't protect our first set of green cards (long story), so we are a rare breed that have two sets of green cards.

Settled and happy in California
Old Aug 6th 2008, 8:21 pm
In yonder hills

britex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Lionheart
21 years. Paddington Green is probably the only ( or one of few) member on BE that has been in the US longer................... yet I still feel a sense of not exactly fitting in or feeling like this is home for me.
Perhaps you ought to discard your current av and replace it with one showing you to be wearing a stetson. That might help you connect better ...

---
Old Aug 6th 2008, 8:26 pm
In yonder hills

britex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by peteandvanessa
So what did you like about Texas? Social, food, climate, grid-style roads, 90-100 degrees (F) summer, Yeehawwwing - what? ...

---
Old Aug 6th 2008, 8:29 pm

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point

4 1/2 years living here

finding somewhere where we are so happy was a revelation - I thought it would be harder and I'd be homesick for family/friends/etc ..... I wasnt and havent been.

home is here - its all my kids know of, its where our life is .... and having just spent 3 weeks back in the UK repeatedly commenting with the OH that we never want to go back to live there again. Its just not for us.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by britex01
So what did you like about Texas? Social, food, climate, grid-style roads, 90-100 degrees (F) summer, Yeehawwwing - what? ...

---
Yes all of that, the street we lived on was the friendliest street we have ever lived on in Texas. Here in Cali, we hardly every see our neighbours at all here in California (I find it a little weird). I also miss the thunderstorms (although the occasional Tornado warning was alittle scary)

Last edited by peteandvanessa; Aug 6th 2008 at 8:36 pm.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by islandmom
.... and having just spent 3 weeks back in the UK repeatedly commenting with the OH that we never want to go back to live there again. Its just not for us.
Yep, did that last year too and went back to Blighty for a couple of weeks.................., wet, windy, overpopulated,outrageous prices........and not for me and my family either.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 8:36 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britex01
Perhaps you ought to discard your current av and replace it with one showing you to be wearing a stetson. That might help you connect better ...

---
I'm in California not Texas. Gucci sunglasses, cargo shorts, flip flops and a convertible Mercedes might be more in order.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.