Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

how long does it take at U.S. airport on entry?

how long does it take at U.S. airport on entry?

Old Jul 10th 2009, 2:33 pm
Forum Regular

kimbap is just really nicekimbap is just really nicekimbap is just really nicekimbap is just really nicekimbap is just really nicekimbap is just really nicekimbap is just really nicekimbap is just really nice
Default how long does it take at U.S. airport on entry?

I am trying to book flights to the U.S. for my husband, me and baby. He will be arriving with the mysterious packet to activate his spouse visa (or whatever happens, I'm sure I'm not using the correct terminology) Does anyone have any idea how long that takes? Is is just the normal immigration line and the guy at the window? Is it folly to arrive at Newark airport at 11 pm on a Friday night and expect it not to take too long? Will my poor sister not be able to collect us until 1:30 a.m.? ( do i (USC) get in line with him, btw? since they have to know that i am in the country or traveling with him?)
Old Jul 10th 2009, 2:59 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: how long does it take at U.S. airport on entry?

Originally Posted by kimbap
I am trying to book flights to the U.S. for my husband, me and baby. He will be arriving with the mysterious packet to activate his spouse visa (or whatever happens, I'm sure I'm not using the correct terminology) Does anyone have any idea how long that takes? Is is just the normal immigration line and the guy at the window? Is it folly to arrive at Newark airport at 11 pm on a Friday night and expect it not to take too long? Will my poor sister not be able to collect us until 1:30 a.m.? ( do i (USC) get in line with him, btw? since they have to know that i am in the country or traveling with him?)
If you have the envelope, then you have an immigrant [or K non-immigrant] visa. You WILL be sent to secondary inspection. The length of time will vary. I would recommend your sister show up at midnight and bring a book.
Old Jul 10th 2009, 3:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
If you have the envelope, then you have an immigrant [or K non-immigrant] visa. You WILL be sent to secondary inspection. The length of time will vary. I would recommend your sister show up at midnight and bring a book.
Yep, pretty good advice. When my husband went through JFK on his K1 (granted, that was a nonimmigrant visa), it took him quite a while to get through the secondary inspection. However, that was also because he arrived at a very busy time. Hopefully it isn't too busy at Neward at 11pm, but I have no idea when the typical arrival times are for international flights and if there are a lot that will arrive at the same time as you.

It's best to prepare for a wait, IMHO.
Old Jul 10th 2009, 4:07 pm
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute

A lot depends on what other flights are scheduled to arrive around about that time. Some flights produce a lot more secondary inspections that others.

I was unlucky enough to get a customs inspection at the time a flight from the Philippines had just come in. That was an eye opener. You wouldn't believe some of the stuff people had in their luggage.
Old Jul 10th 2009, 6:14 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimbap
Here's some info that might be helpful: Arriving In America: Navigating the POE
Old Jul 10th 2009, 8:25 pm
Just Joined

thenoblesavage is an unknown quantity at this point

Kimbap,

Wait until your hubbie is approved before booking the tickets, don't mess with sod's law! Anyway we leave for the US on the 29th, British Airways to Philadelphia (we could go either there or New York, either way it's a 3 1/2 drive!) and I will be using the US Citizen/Permanent Residence line, I have done without a problem since marrying my wife, especially when you have a young child. I currently work for the UK Border Agency and previously spoke with a colleague (Chief Immigration Officer) who advised that my US citizen wife could enter the UK with me in the UK/EEA line, it's no big deal, you have to keep families together!

Something to look up is the P85 (HMRC), found it by chance yesterday, your hubbie may be entitled to a tax rebate, I'll be applying that's for sure!

Good luck!

James
Old Jul 11th 2009, 7:39 am
Forum Regular

kimbap is just really nicekimbap is just really nicekimbap is just really nicekimbap is just really nicekimbap is just really nicekimbap is just really nicekimbap is just really nicekimbap is just really nice

thanks so much everyone:
based on your advice (and a conversation with my sis!) i think we will book an earlier flight and arrive at jfk in nyc at 7pm hoping to be out by 9-9:30. i know i shouldn't book the tkts, but we have rented our home for aug 1. worst case scenario -- it doesn't come and baby and i leave on the 31 and my husband has to fly out later. it's easier for him to find someplace to stay then all three of us with our masses of bags. it will only cost 70 pounds to change his tkt. booking this late for the end of the summer is SO expensive anyway. so finding a new seat on a plane for 1 person would be easier and cheaper i think. that being said, maybe i will wait until tuesday post appt as the appt is early in the morning anyway.
oh, p.s. meaxuna, sadly that email address: [email protected], didn't work. maybe they've cut it off? i had to send a note by post asking them to add me and baby to his appointment.

p.s. thanks so much for tax advice noble savage! he will get money back. i think we have to get an accountant now since with we are letting the home.
Old Jul 11th 2009, 4:49 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Hi. My husband came here on a K1 last September and arrived at JFK in the afternoon. It took him about an hour from when the plane landed untill he came through immigration. Secondary was very quick for him.
Old Jul 12th 2009, 2:12 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Secondary inspection is the opposite of a hospital emergency room. In secondary, the people with the worst problems wait the longest. Your matter should be cut and dry.