Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

HOw long after the interview, u can have social security number?

HOw long after the interview, u can have social security number?

Old May 31st 2007, 12:32 am
Just Joined

navywife87 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default HOw long after the interview, u can have social security number?

I will have a interview next month. I just don't know what is that like to be interviewed . And how long after that they will give me social security ?
Old May 31st 2007, 12:37 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HOw long after the interview, u can have social security number?

Originally Posted by navywife87
I will have a interview next month. I just don't know what is that like to be interviewed . And how long after that they will give me social security ?
You don't say what type of interview, but it doesn't really matter, because the interview has very little to do with it.

Once you have EVEIDENCE of a status that makes you eligible for a Social Security account (Green Card, passport I-551 stamp, EAD card, I-94 endorsing you as a K-1 entrant etc) you can wait about 10 working days (2 weeks) and apply at your local Social Security office with form SS-5.
If they can verify your status immediately, you get the card pretty quickly.
If you're not yet on the system, you just have to wait. SSA will automatically keep checking on you and mail you a card when they can.
Old May 31st 2007, 12:38 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

You will have an interview for what next month?

They won't give you a social security number, you have to apply for it at the social security administration office with a copy of your green card or your I-551 stamp in your passport or your employment authorization document, or a valid visa which entitles you to a social security number.
Old May 31st 2007, 12:42 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rete

They won't give you a social security number, you have to apply for it at the social security administration office with a copy of your green card or your I-551 stamp in your passport or your employment authorization document, or a valid visa which entitles you to a social security number.
I will have an interview to become a permanent resident in June, 7, .
If they approve, how long can I apply for Social security number?
Old May 31st 2007, 12:44 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I will have an interview to become a permanent resident in June, 7, .
If they approve, how long can I apply for Social security number?
Why would you ignore the answer?

If they approve you, apply when you have your Green Card in your hand.
Old May 31st 2007, 12:47 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rete

Thank you that's very helpful
Old May 31st 2007, 2:08 am

mdyoung is an unknown quantity at this point

An individual applying for a work authorized SSN must present evidence at an SSA office to establish his or her age, identity and current lawful employment authorized status. An alien granted permanent residency status is eligible to be issued an unrestricted SSN card

RM 00203.410 Evidence of Alien Status for an SSN Card for an Alien Lawfully Admitted for Permanent Residence:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203410

NOTE: Some LAPR aliens have conditional 2-year I-551s (Alien Registration Receipt Card), subject to the limitation that they must apply for removal of the conditional basis 90 days before the second anniversary of the admittance date to the United States. A conditional I-551 is identified by an expiration date 2 years later than the admittance/adjudication date is acceptable proof of permanent residency.

The applicant needs to provide at least two documents as evidence to establish age, identity and current lawful employment authorized status. If one document is used for identity and employment authorized, another has to be provided for age.

When requesting an SSN card, the documents presented, as evidence must be either originals or copies certified by the issuing agency. SSA will not accept uncertified or notarized photocopies as evidence.

"If the applicant has no immediate need for the SSN and the translation can be done promptly or the foreign language document is the only evidence available; have the document translated by an authorized translator and use the document as evidence. If the applicant has a pressing need for an SSN, and evidence other than the foreign language document is available; request other evidence and process the application without the foreign language document."

RM 00203.040 Reviewing SSN Evidence:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203040#B3

GN 00301.340 Authorized Translators Defined:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0200301340

If a foreign-born person has the foreign birth certificate (BC) in his/her possession or can easily obtain a copy, he or she must submit it as proof of age. When a person is foreign-born, a BC may not exist, may not have been recorded shortly after birth, or the probative value of the document may not be high. In these situations, SSA can accept alternative evidence of age in order of probative value. The alternative evidence of age may be less than a year old, e.g., a DHS document or passport.

You can find detailed information regarding evidence that establishes age on the SSA Website at:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203110

The documents acceptable as evidence of identity are now based on three factors: (1) the applicant’s age, (2) the applicant’s citizenship/alien status, and (3) the relative probative value of documents.

Primary Evidence of identity for an alien:

-- Form I-551, Permanent Resident Card (includes temporary I-551 stamp in combination with an unexpired foreign passport when the I-551 Permanent Resident Card has not yet been issued)

You can find detailed information regarding evidence that establishes identity on the SSA Website at:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203200#E

Employment Authorization Documents:

-- I-551 (Stamp or card)

SSA will not accept an application filing receipt or notice of action in place of an immigration document.

Take the required documents, to the nearest Social Security office. Individuals age 12 or older applying for an original SSN and card must apply in person at one of our offices.

You can obtain the address and directions to the nearest Social Security office from the Social Security Office Locator, which is available on the Internet at:

http://www.ssa.gov/locator

Note: Individuals that live or receive mail in the Brooklyn, NY, Queens, NY and Las Vegas,NV areas must apply in person at a Card Center:

http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/...p?p_faqid=1412

When an alien requests an SSN or replacement/corrected SSN card, SSA will verify his or her documents/current status with the appropriate Bureau of the Department of Homeland Security. If the initial verification is not available through the Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlements (SAVE) system, SSA may need to send Form G-845 for manual verification.

For applications submitted after 01/06/2007 SSA offices can submit an additional electronic verification request, that in most cases eliminates the need for a Form G-845 to be sent.

If your status does not verify through the initial SAVE request be sure that the secondary request has been made and return to the SSA office no more than once a week to see if the SSA office has received a response from the secondary verification request.

If immigration requests to see copies of your documents, the SSA office will send them along with Form G-845 for manual verification of your status. In that case give it 2 weeks and then start checking with the SSA office once a week to see if the G-845 has come back. Be sure to take your documents whenever going into the SSA office to check.

All cards are mailed from Social Security Headquarters in Baltimore, Maryland to the postal address provided on the application.

You may find SSN and employment information on the Internal Revenue Service Website at:

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/...129227,00.html