Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

how to get a Social Security Number?

how to get a Social Security Number?

Old Mar 15th 2002, 10:05 pm
Randy

Default how to get a Social Security Number?

hi, I am a US citizen and my wife, who is from Thailand, and I are applying for AOS.
She currently has an out-of-status (+180 days) visitors visa and is currently working
part time.

My questions are:

-- what is the order of things to do so she can get a social security number?

-- she wants to change her name. Is this something we should even consider doing if
she is applying for AOS? or would this confuse the INS?

thanks in advance!

randy

Old Mar 15th 2002, 10:35 pm
Alvena Ferreira

Default Re: how to get a Social Security Number?

randy wrote:
    > I am a US citizen and my wife, who is from Thailand, and I are applying for AOS.
    > She currently has an out-of-status (+180 days) visitors visa and is currently
    > working part time. My questions are: -- what is the order of things to do so she
    > can get a social security number? -- she wants to change her name. Is this
    > something we should even consider doing if she is applying for AOS? or would this
    > confuse the INS?
    >
1. You must apply for her adjustment of status and can apply also for work
authorization at the same time. She cannot get a SS number until she obtains the
work authorization, and she cannot get the work authorization before you apply for
her adjustment of status. Find details on applying for AOS at the doc steen site,
link is "tourist adjustment."
2. changing her name is not an issue, the marriage certificate explains that
change. Alvena

See the Doc Steen site here:
http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm I am not a lawyer, and this
is not immigration advice. The information I provide is mostly gleaned from old
newsgroup posts and visa links on the internet. If you want or need a lawyer, go to:
http://www.aila.org

Old Mar 16th 2002, 2:35 am
Michael Voight

randy wrote:
    >
    > hi, I am a US citizen and my wife, who is from Thailand, and I are applying for
    > AOS. She currently has an out-of-status (+180 days) visitors visa and is currently
    > working part time.

She can not legally work part time on a visitor's visa, much less an expired one.
What documentation did she use to file I-9 when she got the job? This is could be a
problem. Illegal work can be forgiven. Working on fraudulent documents could get her
in trouble. Working without documents can get the employer in trouble. Lying to the
INS about having a job, in order to avoid the two previous issues, could get her in
worse trouble.

>
    > My questions are:
    >
    > -- what is the order of things to do so she can get a social security number?

If she needs a ss number for work, then she needs an "appropriate" visa or some
other INS work permission like an EAD. She can apply for EAD after or when
applying for AOS.

>
    > -- she wants to change her name. Is this something we should even consider doing if
    > she is applying for AOS? or would this confuse the INS?

INS is NOT confused by people changing their name after marriage. However, in her
case, she should keep the same name throughout the whole INS process.

If she leaves the US prior to her status being adjusted, she will be banned due to
the overstay over 180 days. If she is stopped by the police for any reason in many
jurisdictions, she could be deported. So, you need to file AOS ASAP.

Michael

Old Mar 16th 2002, 6:35 pm
Alvena Ferreira

randy wrote:
    > I'm not sure. I'll have to ask her. She's not working on fraudulent docs. That much
    > I know. Just some part time waitressing.
    >
Just be sure on that issue. Fraudulent docs can be a problem...fraudulent work
without docs is not a problem, because illegal work is forgiven for the spouse of a
US citizenm under the law. Alvena

See the Doc Steen site here:
http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm I am not a lawyer, and this
is not immigration advice. The information I provide is mostly gleaned from old
newsgroup posts and visa links on the internet. If you want or need a lawyer, go to:
http://www.aila.org