How to Get "Into" The States?

Old Dec 15th 2015, 9:10 am
Just Joined

RandomlySet is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How to Get "Into" The States?

I've been looking for years on moving to America, but it appears to be near impossible for a Brit to get out there (unless you marry a US citizen or get a job there).

Unfortunately for me, my current job title is not really in demand over in America. I am an E-Commerce Manager - and as we know, America is known for their sales and service, so my job isn't in demand really.

What would be the best way for me and my partner to get over there? Neither of us have an "in demand" job, don't own a business or have finances to invest over in America, and are not married to Americans.

I'm thinking my best chances are to get a job here in the UK with an American company, and hope that I'd get a promotion out to the States! But so far only had one interview with such company and that was Insight who are based in Sheffield, UK and their Head Office is in Tempe AZ (about 20mins from where we wish to live in Gilbert AZ).

Any advise (or job offers) would be much appreciated.
Old Dec 15th 2015, 10:32 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to Get "Into" The States?

Take a look at the two Pulaski wikis in the US section of the Wikis tab above.

That said, it appears that you have identified the only way you are likely to get a visa to work in the US (transfer by an employer), and unless you have a degree and work in the field of your degree, getting a visa can still be a tough sell. Contrary to popular opinion it is very hard to get a visa to live and work in the US.

As an aside, the US does not offer working visas to unmarried "partners", so hypothetically if one of you got a visa you would probably need to get married assuming the trailing "partner" wanted to work.

Oh, and setting a specific city as where you want to work almost certainly turns an extremely difficult proposition for you into an impossible one. Count your lucky stars if you can wangle a job anywhere in the US.

Last edited by Pulaski; Dec 15th 2015 at 10:40 am.
Old Dec 15th 2015, 12:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Before WW1 there was almost unrestricted immigration to the US (unless you were an "Oriental"). Now it is extremely difficult unless you are highly skilled, married to a citizen or independently wealthy.
Old Dec 15th 2015, 3:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

You spent a couple of days visiting friends in Gilbert and now want to live there? Yikes!
Old Dec 15th 2015, 4:21 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RandomlySet
What would be the best way for me and my partner to get over there? Neither of us have an "in demand" job, don't own a business or have finances to invest over in America, and are not married to Americans.
The best way will be the way that works for you, if there is indeed even a way.

You then go on to list the 3 ways into the USA (work, investment, and marriage), stating you don't qualify for any of those.

My guess is if you can get a job in the UK that will eventually transfer to the USA, then that would be your only (i.e., best) way into the USA. You and your partner would need to be married in order for you to move together. You would have to be open to anywhere in the USA, not just Gilbert.

Rene
Old Dec 15th 2015, 9:18 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
You spent a couple of days visiting friends in Gilbert and now want to live there? Yikes!
I thought the same thing.

Anyway yeah I think the best idea is to get a job with a US company and aim for L-1B, try Amazon but Insight does sound like a better idea.
Old Dec 16th 2015, 4:16 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

I've been looking for years on moving to America, but it appears to be near impossible for a Brit to get out there (unless you marry a US citizen or get a job there).

Unfortunately for me, my current job title is not really in demand over in America. I am an E-Commerce Manager - and as we know, America is known for their sales and service, so my job isn't in demand really.

I'm thinking my best chances are to get a job here in the UK with an American company, and hope that I'd get a promotion out to the States! But so far only had one interview with such company and that was Insight who are based in Sheffield, UK and their Head Office is in Tempe AZ (about 20mins from where we wish to live in Gilbert AZ).

I had a similar idea aged about 21 and now live here in the US, it sounds like work is your best bet from what you have said, but to put timing in context it took me about 10 years to get here, between getting work experience, additional study and then getting a job that led to them transferring me. So it is doable, but it is likely to be a medium to long term plan not a quick one, unless you get lucky.
Old Dec 17th 2015, 10:58 am
Just Joined

We said we'd like to live in Gilbert because it seems nice, and TBH, at least we'd know someone nearby....

What's wrong with Gilbert?

Oh, and we are getting married in the states in 2018 (Vegas), so hopefully if/when I get a chance to move for work, we'll be married.
Old Dec 17th 2015, 2:53 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, and we are getting married in the states in 2018 (Vegas), so hopefully if/when I get a chance to move for work, we'll be married.
Just so you know... depending on the type of visa you get, your spouse may or may not be able to work.

Ian
Old Dec 17th 2015, 3:00 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

There's nothing wrong with Gilbert. I live in Mesa, just over the border from Gilbert.

We are just saying it's hard enough to get a work visa in the first place, so leave your options open as to location.

Rene
Old Dec 17th 2015, 3:02 pm
Just Joined

True. I guess I'm speaking in an "ideal world" scenario....

We would of course settle for pretty much anyway. Oh, and Texas has appeared on our list now
Old Dec 23rd 2015, 2:06 am
Forum Regular

Jayson_Lond is an unknown quantity at this point

I did what you are wanting to do being in a similar job role. If you manage a department and people and spend the company money. If you can find a company that you can work for, for a year and will transfer you it's possible. I actually think it's not too difficult in your line of work. I hope you have a degree. Good luck.