Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

How far in advance does the medical have to be?

How far in advance does the medical have to be?

Old Apr 2nd 2009, 11:20 am
BE Enthusiast

yorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to behold
Default How far in advance does the medical have to be?

Woooooo finally have my interview date for the 27th April yeyyy

Anyway, I was meant to have my medical done in Feb but broke my ankle so had to cancel, have not yet re booked one and was wondering how long the medical has to be done before the interview?

Seeming my interview is on the Monday I was thinking of getting the medical scheduled for the Friday before, seeming I live miles away from London and one trip would be much more convenient! Does anyone know how long it takes the medical results to reach the embassy?

Thanks

Sophie
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 12:10 pm
Twice half his height

Knight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How far in advance does the medical have to be?

I think it takes a couple of days for the results to get to the Embassy. It's certainly not an instant thing like afternoon courier, as far as I am aware.

Getting it done the business day before the interview seems a bit close (but all it will do is delay a decision on the visa - they won't be able to decide 100% until the medical results get back to them).

This also hinges on Knightsbridge having a place for you on the day you want too.
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 2:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

PepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond repute

The medical examination must take place before the visa interview. The medical results will be couriered to the Embassy within 2 – 3 workdays of the examination.
Obviously if you do the medical Friday, it wont get to the embassy till Tuesday or Wednesday. For safety Id try to get the medical done the Wednesday before your interview to assure it gets there Monday at the latest.

And if they need further information from your doctor, it could take a lot longer for them to get the results to the embassy.

However I have heard of people doing Medicals and Interviews on the same day. Im guessing it would just take them longer to get your visa to you because the embassy would have to wait for the medical results.

And as Knight said, they may not have the date you wish to have the interview on. You can ask for a certain date, but they cannot always give you it.
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 5:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

yorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to behold

Thanks,

The Dr has appointments throughout all of April so getting one on that date seems ok. Due to classes etc I can't leave the UK till mid June anyway so don't really mind waiting the extra processing time but It might be a bit more less stressful if I knew if had been approved on the day!

Also, in terms of the medical, I have chronic tonsillitis i.e my tonsils are always enlarged/infected. I have been on the NHS list waiting list to have them out for about 8 months and am still waiting... is this a condition that could result in me failing the medical?

Thanks

Sophie
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 6:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

PepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond repute

there is a form you need to fill in before you go to the medical. It asks if you have illness, or medication etc. If you tick yes to any of those you need to get a letter from your doctor explaining the problem, what medication you've taken/are on for it and what his prognosis is for the future of it.

If your planning on leaving in June you may want to ask your doctor to make sure you get it done before you move to America. Medical care in America is expensive.

Dont forget you also need your vaccine records and medical records from your doctors, and some surgeries make you wait a few weeks for this.
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 6:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks!

Already got up to date with all the vaccinations and have my records (well apart from HPV but I'm opting to get that done in the US).

I've got the form, I'm on antibiotics and am due to go to my Dr tomorrow morning to get a checkup so I will get her to write a letter then! I'm not contagious in anyway its just annoying for me to swallow sometimes

And as for waiting for the NHS well as I am non priority it seems to be taking forever, the only good thing about all of this is that if I can't get them done here by future mother in law is an ENT surgeon and says she will take them out for me as a wedding present

Sophie
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 8:05 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yorkieuk
r, the only good thing about all of this is that if I can't get them done here by future mother in law is an ENT surgeon and says she will take them out for me as a wedding present

Sophie

Well isn't that conveeeenient?!
-Dana Carvey's Church Lady.
4:05
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 8:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by meauxna
Well isn't that conveeeenient?!
-Dana Carvey's Church Lady.
4:05
'We're sorry, but the clip you selected isn't available from your location.'
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 8:56 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

'We're sorry, but the clip you selected isn't available from your location.'
darn, I saw a comment on that page that someone from Sweden couldn't view either.
Oh well, save it for your tonsil recovery time once you're here.
Old Apr 6th 2009, 8:05 pm
Just Joined

jezelf is an unknown quantity at this point

They say four working days for the results to be couriered to the embassy. When I called to book it , they said they had a window the next week.

here's a link to my experience of the medical on my thread for the visa journey if you want an idea of what to expect.

I was hoping my interview was going to be sceduled the same week, but turns out to be a month after the medical.
Old Apr 6th 2009, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

purplecub has much to be proud ofpurplecub has much to be proud ofpurplecub has much to be proud ofpurplecub has much to be proud ofpurplecub has much to be proud ofpurplecub has much to be proud ofpurplecub has much to be proud ofpurplecub has much to be proud ofpurplecub has much to be proud ofpurplecub has much to be proud ofpurplecub has much to be proud of

Yorkie,

As you would like to have only one trip to London, why not try and get your medical arranged for the Friday before as you suggested.

Although the embassy might not have your results in time for your interview, I would imagine that what would happen is that (assuming all is OK with the interview, which I'm sure it will be ) the embassy would then courier your visa to you once they had received your medical info. (I have heard others having to do that for various reasons and I believe it is OK to do it that way round). That way you only have one trip to London
Old Apr 6th 2009, 9:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks all,

I am booking my appointment for the Thursday before, that gives them 2 working days to send the stuff, I don't expect it to be there in time but I have another 7 weeks after the interview that I have to be in the UK so I don't mind having to wait a week or two fro them to send me my passport!!

Now I am just fretting about the medical, does anyone know reasons why you could fail aprt from the obvious (i,e HIV, TB +ve) ?!?!
Old Apr 7th 2009, 1:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks all,

I am booking my appointment for the Thursday before, that gives them 2 working days to send the stuff, I don't expect it to be there in time but I have another 7 weeks after the interview that I have to be in the UK so I don't mind having to wait a week or two fro them to send me my passport!!

Now I am just fretting about the medical, does anyone know reasons why you could fail aprt from the obvious (i,e HIV, TB +ve) ?!?!
The medical is really nice and simple, you go in, give them your form and photos, they give you a short form to sit and fill out and sign.

They will probably take you for your chest x-ray first, thats quite normal. Then if you need vaccinations they may do those next or at the end of the appointment. They'll then take you to the doctor where he'll ask you some simple questions. They'll do your blood test and tell you to sit in the waiting room for 10 minutes so they can make sure you dont faint etc.

then you pay on your way out!

Just make sure you form is filled out and you have vaccine records and medical records from your doctor and the letter from him explaining your illness. plus money to pay the fees.

you should be fine