Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

How easy/quickly is it to obtain US passport for baby born in US to UK citizens

How easy/quickly is it to obtain US passport for baby born in US to UK citizens

Old Feb 26th 2012, 10:23 pm
Just Joined

LondontoAustin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How easy/quickly is it to obtain US passport for baby born in US to UK citizens

Hello everyone,
I've just joined this forum in order to get useful information from you!
We are moving to Austin through my husband's work in the next couple of months. He is on a L1 visa.
We will be expecting a baby whilst we are in Austin and wondered how easy and quickly it would be to get a US passport for them, especially as we aren't US citizens.
The reason for the urgency is that we would like to return to the UK approx 8 weeks (depending on when the baby decides to appear!!) after the baby is born for a dear friend's wedding.
Do you know what the timeframe and cost would be and also what is needed to obtain a passport, ie birth certificate, what else?
Many thanks in advance
Old Feb 26th 2012, 10:33 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How easy/quickly is it to obtain US passport for baby born in US to UK citizens

Originally Posted by LondontoAustin
Hello everyone,
I've just joined this forum in order to get useful information from you!
We are moving to Austin through my husband's work in the next couple of months. He is on a L1 visa.
We will be expecting a baby whilst we are in Austin and wondered how easy and quickly it would be to get a US passport for them, especially as we aren't US citizens.
The reason for the urgency is that we would like to return to the UK approx 8 weeks (depending on when the baby decides to appear!!) after the baby is born for a dear friend's wedding.
Do you know what the timeframe and cost would be and also what is needed to obtain a passport, ie birth certificate, what else?
Many thanks in advance
It doesn't matter that you and your husband aren't USCs. The baby will be one.

See here: http://travel.state.gov/passport/get...first_830.html

There should be links on that page to information about how to apply, what you need, where you can apply, and how long it takes, including expedited processing information.

When my husband became a USC, he ordered expedited processing and got his US passport back in the mail in about 10 days.

Rene
Old Feb 26th 2012, 11:06 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How easy/quickly is it to obtain US passport for baby born in US to UK citizens

We applied as soon as we got our first sons birth certificate, we did expedited too and it arrived super fast for our trip back to show off the first grandchild.
Get the forms ahead of time, then fill them out as soon as you can after the birth and receipt of the BC
Old Feb 27th 2012, 8:03 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Will your pregnancy be covered under the health insurance?
Old Feb 27th 2012, 4:52 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM
I missed that bit, good question.
Old Feb 27th 2012, 10:13 pm
Just Joined

Thanks all.
Yes, it is all covered through my husband's work health insurance.
Old Feb 28th 2012, 3:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM
Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I missed that bit, good question.
Thanks all.
Yes, it is all covered through my husband's work health insurance.
Sorry to labour a point, and it makes no difference to me whether you're covered or not or if you even answer this, but are you getting coverage when you arrive already pregnant, or is it maternity coverage that'll cover you if you fall pregnant while on the insurance? It's an important - and expensive - difference! Most plans have a 10-month waiting period of exclusion to maternity coverage for this very situation. Please double check, making sure they know you are already pregnant!

Uninsured, a normal delivery could cost upwards of $3,000. Add in a CS or any special care for a few days and $100,000 would not be that unusual.

(Oh, and congrats! )
Old Feb 28th 2012, 3:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

shorrock is on a distinguished road

Many thanks in advance
You will need:
  1. Babies Birth Certificate
  2. Your ID / Passport
  3. Farthers ID / Passport

Depending on the state your childs birth cert could take a few weeks to arrive after the child is registered. i.e we have a 8 week only and it took the hospital 6 days to register the birth and then 10 business days to get the birth cert (washington state).

USA passport, just need babies birth cert and both parents ID. Fill in the paperwork, both parents have to be there when lodging the app (unless you do more paperwork). Once you have the birth cert my daughters USA passport only took 7 business days after submission. I think you can get one within 24/48 hours

8 weeks should be fine applying for a US passport
Old Feb 28th 2012, 8:36 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Shorrock.

GeoffM, many thanks for clarifying your point, and I've spoken to the HR people at my husband's work, and they have confirmed that I will be covered when I arrive being pregnant..
Old Feb 28th 2012, 9:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks Shorrock.

GeoffM, many thanks for clarifying your point, and I've spoken to the HR people at my husband's work, and they have confirmed that I will be covered when I arrive being pregnant..
Excellent, you must have a good package there!
Old Feb 29th 2012, 6:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

shorrock is on a distinguished road

One thing I forgot to mention. Depending on the state you are in you will need to apply for the Birth Cert. In Washington state, you can request it online. WA does not send you a birth cert automatically.

I would get a few of them as you'll need them to get a UK passport at some future date. If you are back in the uk it could be hard to get ahold of one unless you are in country.

Look at registering your child's birth with the UK consulate and the pros and cons of doing so.