Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

How early can I apply for a TN visa

How early can I apply for a TN visa

Old Sep 23rd 2016, 12:26 am
Forum Regular

moving is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How early can I apply for a TN visa

Hi folks,

I have a job offer in the US starting on January 2nd, and I am based in Toronto. I plan to drive down in late November, and will be crossing the border in Buffalo. Is that too early. Most of the time the people that I have talked to fly out of Toronto and so they apply on the day they are flying out.

Thanks in advance for all the advice.

Someone all confused.
Old Sep 23rd 2016, 12:47 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How early can I apply for a TN visa

The regs say you can enter up to 10 days prior, which in this case would be the start date of your employment stated in your job offer letter.
Old Sep 23rd 2016, 3:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
The regs say you can enter up to 10 days prior, which in this case would be the start date of your employment stated in your job offer letter.
Do you have a link? I've read that there is no defined timeline but you're more likely to be approved 1 week in advance and more likely to be asked to come back later if you try 2 weeks in advance. 10 days seems to be quoted as a guideline but I haven't been able to find anything official on that.
Old Sep 23rd 2016, 4:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moving
Hi folks,

I have a job offer in the US starting on January 2nd, and I am based in Toronto. I plan to drive down in late November, and will be crossing the border in Buffalo. Is that too early. Most of the time the people that I have talked to fly out of Toronto and so they apply on the day they are flying out.

Thanks in advance for all the advice.

Someone all confused.
I took all my crap down with me on a driving trip. I successfully entered on a Monday to start the following Monday. The officer did check the start date and said something like 'yup that looks ok..'.
Old Sep 26th 2016, 2:06 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

My best friend is working in the US on this visa, has been for a few years now. She said she applied at the border when entering. She said there is a window between when you can apply and when you actually enter, but she just did hers on the day she entered the US and applied at the border.

She said the website for TN visas should tell you what you need to know. Her work did most of it for her, so she's not sure of a lot of it offhand.
Old Sep 26th 2016, 3:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
My best friend is working in the US on this visa, has been for a few years now. She said she applied at the border when entering. She said there is a window between when you can apply and when you actually enter, but she just did hers on the day she entered the US and applied at the border.

She said the website for TN visas should tell you what you need to know. Her work did most of it for her, so she's not sure of a lot of it offhand.
There may be a window but it is not a well-defined window - just a general rule of thumb that seems to depend on the port of entry and possibly also on the individual immigration officer you encounter. It seems that applying 2 weeks before the job starts is too early and the applicant is more likely to be told to come back later. 10 days before seems to be generally OK. Less than 10 days before seems to be better.
Old Sep 27th 2016, 6:19 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I've only just realised that this thread is asking about a visa for the US, not Canada!

So I've moved it to the right section of the forum where hopefully you'll get some clarification.

Good luck.
Old Sep 27th 2016, 12:28 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moving
I plan to drive down in late November, and will be crossing the border in Buffalo. Is that too early.
Yes.

Ian
Old Sep 28th 2016, 2:28 am
Forum Regular

moving is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi folks,

Thanks for the input. 10 days it is then. Cheers.
Old Oct 4th 2016, 9:35 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Do you have a link? I've read that there is no defined timeline but you're more likely to be approved 1 week in advance and more likely to be asked to come back later if you try 2 weeks in advance. 10 days seems to be quoted as a guideline but I haven't been able to find anything official on that.
Good question, in various places in 8 CFR it mentions 10 days for various categories, e.g. 8 CFR 214.2(h)(13) for people in H categories.

The situation with TN is always a bit vague. In the CBP guidance it says application must be made at the same time as application for admission is made unless the person has an approved I-129 (which they generally wouldn't have). So basically a good reason for admission, so on that basis, we're taking days prior not months prior.
Old Nov 30th 2016, 11:40 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

USCIS has just issued a rule clarification on this very subject to clarify their policy:

§ 214.1 Requirements for admission, extension, and maintenance of status.
(l) Period of stay. (1) An alien admissible in E–1, E–2, E–3, H–1B, L–1, or TN classification and his or her dependents may be admitted to the United States or otherwise provided such status for the validity period of the petition, or for a validity period otherwise authorized for the E–1, E–2, E–3, and TN classifications, plus an additional period of up to 10 days before the validity period begins and 10 days after the validity period ends. Unless authorized under 8 CFR 274a.12, the alien may not work except during the validity period.
(2) An alien admitted or otherwise provided status in E–1, E–2, E–3, H–1B, H–1B1, L–1, O–1 or TN classification and his or her dependents shall not be considered to have failed to maintain nonimmigrant status solely on the basis of a cessation of the employment on which the alien’s classification was based, for up to 60 consecutive days or until the end of the authorized validity period, whichever is shorter, once during each authorized validity period. DHS may eliminate or shorten this 60-day period as a matter of discretion. Unless otherwise authorized under 8 CFR 274a.12, the alien may not work during such a period.
(3) An alien in any authorized period described in paragraph (l) of this section may apply for and be granted an extension of stay under paragraph (c)(4) of this section or change of status under 8 CFR 248.1, if otherwise eligible.
So not only is it now an official regulation that it's ten days, not just a policy, but they've also put in a 60-day grace period for you to look for another job due to a "cessation" of employment.
Old Nov 30th 2016, 11:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
So not only is it now an official regulation that it's ten days, not just a policy, but they've also put in a 60-day grace period for you to look for another job due to a "cessation" of employment.
Good to know. Common sense prevails!