Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

How does marriage in Moscow change the dynamic?

How does marriage in Moscow change the dynamic?

Old Feb 16th 2001, 4:35 am
Stranger in a Strange Land

I am an American citizen and have been corresponding with my fiancé, a lovely. kind
Russian woman, for the better part of a year. We plan to finally meet on my visit to
Moscow this spring.

My question: If we were to get married in Moscow, how would this change the immigration
process, if at all? Would this expedite the process?

Thanks in advance,

W & O

Old Feb 16th 2001, 11:45 am
Alvena Ferreira

Stranger in a Strange Land wrote:
> I am an American citizen and have been corresponding with my fiancé, a lovely. kind
> Russian woman, for the better part of a year. We plan to finally meet on my visit to
> Moscow this spring. My question: If we were to get married in Moscow, how would this
> change the immigration process, if at all? Would this expedite the process?
>
Yes, marriage there would allow you to file directly with the consulate at Moscow for a
spousal visa for her and she would likely have it in 3 months or less...HOWEVER, unless
you can stay in Moscow for over a month, you may not be able to marry, because ZAGS has a
32-day wait for the marriage license.

And I have one small piece of advice...don't marry on the first meeting. give this some
more time and be sure that your head agrees with what your loins are telling you.

alvena russia pages at: http://www2.apex.net/users/thehydes/russiaframes.html

main marriage visa page: http://www2.apex.net/users/thehydes

Old Feb 17th 2001, 2:40 am
MoonRose13

Dear W & O,

<< My question: If we were to get married in Moscow, how would this change the immigration
process, if at all? Would this expedite the process? >>

I cannot say anything about getting married in Moscow. But it took two-and-a-half years
for my husband to get his PR Visa. We married in Singapore. Immigration wouldn't even let
him come to the United States for a visit until the process was complete. At that time,
Singaporeans had to have a visa to enter this country. Now they can visit for up to ninety
days without a visa. Anyway, most of the couples we know who were in the same situation we
were told us it took them two years. And the non-American spouses came from various
countries. Hopefully, the K3 visa will soon be implemented and change all that.

Love and Blessed Be, Theresa