Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

How do you appeal a B2 visa rejection?

How do you appeal a B2 visa rejection?

Old Mar 12th 2001, 4:15 am
Jiggy

My sister who lives in India, was recently denied a simple B2 visa (travel to the US for
pleasure). She is working in India and has a decent bank balance. But the visa official
did not even bother to look at any of the documents she had carried with her to convince
them that she intended to stay in the US for a limited time only. I feel this is unfair
and rather whimsical. How and where can I appeal against this rejection?

Thank you, JS

Old Mar 12th 2001, 3:53 pm
Ed MacNeil

Hi Jiggy,

THIS SHOULD NOT BE CONSTRUED TO BE LEGAL ADVICE. I AM NOT A LAWYER. I DON'T EVEN PLAY
ONE ON TV!

Technically, you can't appeal it as an alien has few if any rights in these matters. You
could either write the American Consul complaining that your sister didn't get a fair
hearing. Alternatively, you could pay a visit to the local office of your Representative
or one of your Senators and ask a member of the staff to write a letter on your behalf.

You should be aware that young single women are often rejected unless they have the
strongest evidence of ties to their native country. The reason is that the overstay rate
among them is very high. Many come here on B-2 visas seeking husbands and never leave.

Ed MacNeil Ancient Aviator North Hampton, NH, USA

Jiggy wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >