Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

How do we file I-751 if "real" green card never arrived??

How do we file I-751 if "real" green card never arrived??

Old Oct 13th 2001, 12:43 am
Sharon L. Clipsham

I had another thought about not doing an I-90 and paying an extra $110 to "replace"
the green card that we did not lose because it has never arrived in the first place.

If we get another stamp in Bill's passport as temp evidence that will carry him
through next year. Then it would be time to file the I-751 anyway. Don't they send
him a different green card anyway after the conditions are removed?? I thought this
plan might work but then I noticed on the I-751 that you are supposed to attach a
copy of your grenn card. What if it never arrived? Can we just attach a copy of the
stamp in his passport???

Please anyone who has been through this situation-we would really appreciate
your advice.

Thank you-Sharon

-----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

Old Oct 13th 2001, 3:08 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

There are two other people in the same situation you are ... my husband Jim and a poster named Riri

Both of them never got their cards and both of them now have another I-551 stamp in their passport.

When Jim went to get the stamp after our Congresswoman's liaison intervened for him, Jim asked the special interest unit what to do if the card never comes and he has to remove conditions. He was told to complete the I-751 and to file with a copy of the I-551 stamps ... plural ... and go from there.

BTW both Jim and Riri found out when getting the extension that neither of their green card I-89's were sent to the service center originally. Jim's was sent in July 2001 instead of August 2000 and we are hopeful that the card will come within the next month or so. Riri was not so lucky and is still trying to get someone to help her with this problem.

My suggestion ... go to your local INS office and ask what the problem is .. you should not have to pay for something you did not receive.

Rita
Old Oct 13th 2001, 4:35 am
Sharon L. Clipsham

Thanks for the reply. At least we are not alone.

We're going to the INS on Mon. I'll update after we return on what the staff in our
region have to say. Our congressman's office gave me a letter to take with us but
said that it is really up to the INS staff as to what to do, that the congressman nor
his staff can have any real authority over them. The letter states that Bill should
not be charged for a replacement card since he never received his original card. The
congressman's rep said though that it depends on the decision of the staff at the INS
office. They can totally disregard the congressman's letter if they want to. I just
hope they won't. We'll hope for the best. We'll let you know what happens. Sharon

-----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

Old Oct 13th 2001, 12:07 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Well I can tell you this from experience.

The Congresswoman's liaison went in person (because the phone lines are not all operational yet) and got a letter from the "Congressional Interest" unit. And yes they have the power to intervene and yes they can give the stamp. At least here in NYC they are separate INS unit and to see them you need a letter from them which you get after the CP's liaison talks with them.

Crossing fingers that your trip is successful.

Rita
Old Oct 13th 2001, 2:16 pm
Jonathan_atc

Attach a copy of your I-551 Stamp?

>
Steen's Visa Pages http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm
Newsgroup FAQ http://www.k1faq.com Immigration and Naturalization Service
http://www.ins.usdoj.gov {I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice. For
reliable legal advice, please consult with a professional immigration attorney.}

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

>

Old Oct 13th 2001, 2:17 pm
Jonathan_atc

Start your own post. Piggybacking on other threads makes it so you = won't get your
question answered.

>
Steen's Visa Pages http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm
Newsgroup FAQ http://www.k1faq.com Immigration and Naturalization Service
http://www.ins.usdoj.gov {I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice. For
reliable legal advice, please consult with a professional immigration attorney.}

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

>

Old Oct 13th 2001, 2:58 pm
Betastar

>
    >
    >
    >
    >

Every time I read this I am SO HAPPY that we went in to Charlotte to double-check why
our acceptance letter said an I-89 needed to be filled out still, despite the fact
that one was filled out at the interview. Hopefully at least one will make it to the
service center. (Hopefully Reinhard won't end up with 2 green-cards, but if he does,
I guess we put one in a safe place )

I recommend those who have to return after the interview for the stamp double-check
that the I-89 was sent.

Old Oct 13th 2001, 3:32 pm
Onigiri

>
    >
[usenetquote2]> >BTW both Jim and Riri found out when getting the extension that neither of their[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >green card I-89's were sent to the service center originally.[/usenetquote2]

>

When I read this, I wonder why INS has this 2 year card at all. It is an unnecessary
expense for the INS to create one for the two years - when they could simply eat the
dough and have the adjusted people have a stamp worth 2 years. Then have them come
back to cough up more and fill in a I-751 for the only card. This way the people who
not care to receive a card - because adjudication of I-751takes a year and it is
time to file N4-- anyway can say so and get on with their lives. And those who do
not plan to file the N-400 will have a 10 year hassle with the INS - which they can
handle in leisure.

Old Oct 13th 2001, 4:02 pm
Jacky Jamieson

Hi...

I would continue to persue getting the green card...most green cards are issued
within 6 months of getting the I551 Stamp. I just sent a copy (not original of green
card) with my I751 application even tho they said to include original. I didnt sent
any "original" documents with my application. but I brought all of them to the
interview. They had no problem with that. At my interview they took my original green
card which will be replaced by my new permanent one ( I have another stamp in
passport now good for a year). After your conditions are removed you do get a new
card good for 10 years (but usually one gets their citizenship before then). So you
will need new photos and fingerprints. They took both of those at my interview.

Hope this helps

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >