Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

How do I pay my filing fees from an offshore bank?!

How do I pay my filing fees from an offshore bank?!

Old Dec 15th 2016, 7:37 pm
Forum Regular

leah_aalin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How do I pay my filing fees from an offshore bank?!

Just wondering if there is anyone out there with experience of trying to pay filing fees from "offshore" (in my case, the Isle of Man)? I've been told today at the two banks I hold accounts with (Isle of Man bank and HSBC) that they can not issue international bankers drafts in USD, and so I'm a bit stuck as to how I'm supposed to pay. Any ideas? I don't have a US bank account so no USD cheques and the embassy in London no longer take credit card payments. And there I was thinking I'd actually get these in before the price hike...
Old Dec 15th 2016, 7:51 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do I pay my filing fees from an offshore bank?!

According to your post from September, you are a USC filing I-130's for your children, is that correct? http://britishexpats.com/forum/us-im...ildren-882740/

Is it the I-130 fee you are referring to?

I assumed you were living in the USA, but your post above sounds like you are not? Why don't you have a US bank account? Please clarify.

You might have to have someone in the USA write a check for you and send it to you.

Rene
Old Dec 15th 2016, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

Yes, I had hoped to finally get the I-130's submitted for my husband and children. We're all currently living on the Isle of Man, hence no US bank account. Apparently if we were actually in the UK, and not on the IOM I wouldn't have a problem getting a bankers draft. Because we're classed as offshore, we have different rules which seem to make everything that little bit more difficult!

Last edited by leah_aalin; Dec 15th 2016 at 8:06 pm. Reason: Spelling
Old Dec 15th 2016, 8:21 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leah_aalin
Just wondering if there is anyone out there with experience of trying to pay filing fees from "offshore" (in my case, the Isle of Man)?
Is there no one in the entire UK who you can write a cheque to who can then get a banker's draft, and forward that back to you?

Ian
Old Dec 15th 2016, 8:28 pm
Forum Regular

I just assumed (I checked the HSBC website) that I'd be able to get one from my bank here, so I hadn't thought beyond that at all Ian. It's a good suggestion, but I don't really have anyone I could ask. All family is either here, or in the states. I should have been quicker I guess and sorted this when I could still pay by credit card! I'm obviously not going to get them in before the 23rd now, so I'll have to figure out a way in the new year. 😕
Old Dec 15th 2016, 10:34 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leah_aalin
All family is either here, or in the states.
Okay, have someone in the states do it... and courier it to you overnight. It might not be convenient, but you can still make the Dec. 23 deadline.

I'll have to figure out a way in the new year.
Unless people are going to be moving, you're going to run into the same issue then as now, don't you think?

Ian
Old Dec 16th 2016, 12:31 am
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

When and why did they stop accepting credit cards?