Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

How do I correct a small error in DS 156

How do I correct a small error in DS 156

Old May 10th 2009, 5:22 pm
Just Joined

bumbledore is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How do I correct a small error in DS 156

I have filled in and printed off form DS156.

I have just noticed that I did not fill in my wife's maiden name. How do I correct this?

Do I fill in a new form online and print it off again, or do I just write in the missing maiden name.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old May 10th 2009, 5:52 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do I correct a small error in DS 156

Originally Posted by bumbledore
I have filled in and printed off form DS156.

I have just noticed that I did not fill in my wife's maiden name. How do I correct this?

Do I fill in a new form online and print it off again, or do I just write in the missing maiden name.

Thanks in advance for any help.
A "pen" works just fine.
Old May 10th 2009, 5:56 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by meauxna
A "pen" works just fine.
Thanks, but the following is why I posted. I just want to make sure everything is OK before going to the scary interview.

Do not complete blank or unprocessed data input forms by hand. Unprocessed data input pages or data input pages completed by hand will not be accepted.
So are you saying that it is fine for me just to add the maiden name in pen on the printed form. ?
Old May 10th 2009, 5:59 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, but the following is why I posted. I just want to make sure everything is OK before going to the scary interview.

So are you saying that it is fine for me just to add the maiden name in pen on the printed form. ?
ooooh, I was pre-electronic days, sorry about that!

Now, I dont' want to give a wrong answer. Hang tight and see what transpires.
Hopefully one of the employment dudes will drop by here later.

I certainly appears from what you quote that writing on the form is not OK.
Old May 10th 2009, 6:42 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by meauxna
ooooh, I was pre-electronic days, sorry about that!

Now, I dont' want to give a wrong answer. Hang tight and see what transpires.
Hopefully one of the employment dudes will drop by here later.

I certainly appears from what you quote that writing on the form is not OK.
No problem. Thanks for your input.

I'll hang tight.
Old May 10th 2009, 8:44 pm
Just Joined

khai is an unknown quantity at this point

Based on my understanding, you should fill out a new form online correctly and take a printed copy of that one to the interview. That way when (if) they scan the barcode of new form at the embassy, it will match what's been submitted to their system and that's the one that will be 'active' from that point on.

When an online application is filled, but a hard copy of the same is not physically scanned during the day of the interview, that application (that was also submitted online) simply never surfaces, which is good right, instead of there being two applications in the system. You'll have "wasted" one of their confirmation numbers, but the embassy doesn't seem to care. A correct and complete info submission would be preferable, rather than an incorrect one.
Old May 10th 2009, 11:06 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Is there a reason that you are unable to simply complete the form again and reprint it? I mean... it's not rocket science.

Ian
Old May 11th 2009, 1:20 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Is there a reason that you are unable to simply complete the form again and reprint it? I mean... it's not rocket science.

Ian
I think the OP is concerned because DS156, once completed is then electronically filed.
Old May 11th 2009, 2:24 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisa67
I think the OP is concerned because DS156, once completed is then electronically filed.
Ah... in that case, bumbledore should do nothing, as counter-intuitive as that may seem. It can be corrected at the interview. Her maiden name isn't critical.

Ian
Old May 11th 2009, 11:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

henryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond repute

DS156 is *not* electronically filed. When you fill the form in on the website, it generates a unique 2D barcode based on the typed information, and gives you a PDF of the form with that barcode to print. But nothing is sent to the embassy, nor stored on a computer.

So there is no harm in filling out a second form with the correct maiden name and "submitting" it to get a printout with a new bar code.
Old May 11th 2009, 11:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by henryh
DS156 is *not* electronically filed. When you fill the form in on the website, it generates a unique 2D barcode based on the typed information, and gives you a PDF of the form with that barcode to print. But nothing is sent to the embassy, nor stored on a computer.

So there is no harm in filling out a second form with the correct maiden name and "submitting" it to get a printout with a new bar code.
I stand corrected
Old May 12th 2009, 12:59 am
Just Joined

khai is an unknown quantity at this point

I stand corrected
I guess me as well.

I'm curious to know how you can say the below for sure. Not doubting you, just really curious.

But nothing is sent to the embassy, nor stored on a computer.
Old May 12th 2009, 1:02 am
BE Enthusiast

henryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond repute

The website says so somewhere (can't be bothered to go searching now).
Old May 12th 2009, 3:24 am
BE Forum Addict

here's the link :

http://www.consular.canada.usembassy...orm_ds_156.asp
Old May 12th 2009, 12:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new...lectronic.html

" The information that you submit is not stored anywhere. It is also not submitted to the Embassy electronically. It is only used to generate a barcode. "

This doesn't look quite the same as the Canadian one, so YMMV.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.