How to cancel AOS process

Old Feb 6th 2008, 12:39 am
Just Joined

Capitol is an unknown quantity at this point
Question How to cancel AOS process

I am a European married to a USC. We just got the invitation for the AOS interview, but:
- Unfortunately, we have separated and he has moved out.
- I accepted a job back in Europe.
- I will leave the U.S. "for good" on March 27.
- But: Our interview is scheduled for March 20.

When and how should I cancel the AOS process and the interview?
How much time will I have to leave the country after ending the AOS process?
Will I actually have to book an earlier flight?
Will this have any implications for future travels to or attempts to get an H1B or a Green Card in the United States?

Thank you, your help is much appreciated!
Old Feb 6th 2008, 12:54 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to cancel AOS process

Originally Posted by Capitol
You can write to USCIS and tell them you will not be at the interview. You don't need to go into detail as to why. Alternately, you can simply not show up at your interview and, after a while, your petition will be deemed to be abandoned anyway.

This I don't know... but since you are *in* status until your AOS is denied I don't suppose the time between now and March 27 will matter.

I seriously doubt it.

Will this have any implications for future travels to or attempts to get an H1B or a Green Card in the United States?
It will likely have little impact, although you will need to disclose that you were the beneficiary of a non- or immigrant petition.

Ian
Old Feb 6th 2008, 12:04 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
You can write to USCIS and tell them you will not be at the interview. You don't need to go into detail as to why. Alternately, you can simply not show up at your interview and, after a while, your petition will be deemed to be abandoned anyway.

This I don't know... but since you are *in* status until your AOS is denied I don't suppose the time between now and March 27 will matter.

I seriously doubt it.

It will likely have little impact, although you will need to disclose that you were the beneficiary of a non- or immigrant petition.

Ian
Agree with your points.

Just also wondered whether the easiest way of closing this whole AOS business would be to show up at the interview alone and explain.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 12:35 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Agree with your points.

Just also wondered whether the easiest way of closing this whole AOS business would be to show up at the interview alone and explain.

That action would be the best way to ensure that USCIS knows of your plans and properly closes your file without any "marks" against you if you wish to attempt immigration in the future.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 2:24 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Elvira
Hi:

That was my thought.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 11:22 pm
Just Joined

Thank you very much for your replies! So you think that just leaving the United States and sending some official form in wouldn´t work as well?
I heard that there is an official form for cases like this.

Thanks!
Old Feb 8th 2008, 11:43 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you very much for your replies! So you think that just leaving the United States and sending some official form in wouldn´t work as well?
I heard that there is an official form for cases like this.

Thanks!
There is no form for this.

Are you thinking of a form for officially giving up your Green Card? You have to get the PR status first.
Old Feb 9th 2008, 5:43 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

I am a European married to a USC. We just got the invitation for the AOS interview, but:
- Unfortunately, we have separated and he has moved out.
- I accepted a job back in Europe.
- I will leave the U.S. "for good" on March 27.
- But: Our interview is scheduled for March 20.

Thank you, your help is much appreciated!
What was your visa status when you filed for AOS?
Old Feb 9th 2008, 2:24 pm
Just Joined

I was on a J1 when I got married to an USC and filed for AOS.
Thank you.