How can I correct my name!

Old Apr 23rd 2002, 5:40 am
Geminiboy7

Default How can I correct my name!

Hi Friends! I am in trouble! I need to change my name on my AOS papers. It is in
process but 2 days ago I got an interview letter call from the INS (Los Angeles) and
it is scheduled in July 2002. Do you guys know what shall I do or where shall I go to
change my name. My passport and birth certificate has my real name but other papers
like form I-94 and employment Authorization has different name. I want this to be
fixed before they issue me a green card. Can I go to the local INS office, which I
think is Pomona for me to fix it, or do I need to go to a court! Any help will be
highly appreciated.

Cheers Amit

Old Apr 23rd 2002, 6:10 am
Mrtravel

Default Re: How can I correct my name!

You could do it at the interview or try to do it now. Why is the name different?

geminiboy7 wrote:

> Hi Friends! I am in trouble! I need to change my name on my AOS papers. It is in
    > process but 2 days ago I got an interview letter call from the INS (Los Angeles)
    > and it is scheduled in July 2002. Do you guys know what shall I do or where shall I
    > go to change my name. My passport and birth certificate has my real name but other
    > papers like form I-94 and employment Authorization has different name. I want this
    > to be fixed before they issue me a green card. Can I go to the local INS office,
    > which I think is Pomona for me to fix it, or do I need to go to a court! Any help
    > will be highly appreciated.
    >
    > Cheers Amit

Old Apr 23rd 2002, 7:10 pm
Michael Voight

Paul wrote:
    >
    > "geminiboy7" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>.. .
    > > Hi Friends! I am in trouble! I need to change my name on my AOS papers. It is in
    > > process but 2 days ago I got an interview letter call from the INS (Los Angeles)
    > > and it is scheduled in July 2002. Do you guys know what shall I do or where shall
    > > I go to change my name. My passport and birth certificate has my real name but
    > > other papers like form I-94 and employment Authorization has different name. I
    > > want this to be fixed before they issue me a green card. Can I go to the local
    > > INS office, which I think is Pomona for me to fix it, or do I need to go to a
    > > court! Any help will be highly appreciated.
    > >
    > >
    > > Cheers Amit
    >
    > Is the name totally different or is it the case that your native language employs
    > an alphabet that different people transliterate differently? If it is the latter
    > case, I don't think you have anything to worry about. If you're worried just point
    > it out yourself at the interview so that there is no reason to believe you were
    > trying to hide anything.
    >
    > From our experience, the INS isn't very reliable itself when it comes to names. My
    > wife has a long Russian name. Although I was careful to spell everything correctly
    > on her forms, her name was misspelled on several letters we received from them.
    > When she went for fingerprinting, the technician told her to check the spelling on
    > the computer before he submitted the prints, because this is how it would look on
    > her green card. Nonetheless, it was still misspelled on her green card.

Was it "misspelled" or transliterated differently? The name in her passport would
have been transliterated using the french pronunciation since the Russian passport is
in French and Russian. The transliterazation used by INS is an English one.

Old Apr 23rd 2002, 9:40 pm
Geminiboy7

Hi! Thank you so much. My last name has to be removed from the papers. I do not have
a last name and they have put my father's last name on mine. since my passport and
birth certificate has the correct name, I want it to be on my green cars as well. The
first name and middle name are same but the last name has to go away. Thanks a lot, I
hope it will work out. So I assume I wont need to go in the court for that.

Cheers Amit

"Michael Voight" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Paul wrote:
    > >
    > > "geminiboy7" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>.. .
    > > > Hi Friends! I am in trouble! I need to change my name on my AOS papers. It is
    > > > in process but 2 days ago I got an interview letter call
from
    > > > the INS (Los Angeles) and it is scheduled in July 2002. Do you guys
know
    > > > what shall I do or where shall I go to change my name. My passport and
birth
    > > > certificate has my real name but other papers like form I-94 and
employment
    > > > Authorization has different name. I want this to be fixed before they
issue
    > > > me a green card. Can I go to the local INS office, which I think is
Pomona
    > > > for me to fix it, or do I need to go to a court! Any help will be
highly
    > > > appreciated.
    > > >
    > > >
    > > > Cheers Amit
    > >
    > > Is the name totally different or is it the case that your native language employs
    > > an alphabet that different people transliterate differently? If it is the latter
    > > case, I don't think you have anything to worry about. If you're worried just
    > > point it out yourself at the interview so that there is no reason to believe you
    > > were trying to hide anything.
    > >
    > > From our experience, the INS isn't very reliable itself when it comes to names.
    > > My wife has a long Russian name. Although I was careful to spell everything
    > > correctly on her forms, her name was misspelled on several letters we received
    > > from them. When she went for fingerprinting, the technician told her to check
    > > the spelling on the computer before he submitted the prints, because this is how
    > > it would look on her green card. Nonetheless, it was still misspelled on her
    > > green card.
    >
    > Was it "misspelled" or transliterated differently? The name in her passport would
    > have been transliterated using the french pronunciation since the Russian passport
    > is in French and Russian. The transliterazation used by INS is an English one.

Old Apr 23rd 2002, 10:40 pm
Paul

Michael Voight <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > Paul wrote:
    > >
    > > "geminiboy7" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:<[email protected]>.. .
    > > > Hi Friends! I am in trouble! I need to change my name on my AOS papers. It is
    > > > in process but 2 days ago I got an interview letter call from the INS (Los
    > > > Angeles) and it is scheduled in July 2002. Do you guys know what shall I do or
    > > > where shall I go to change my name. My passport and birth certificate has my
    > > > real name but other papers like form I-94 and employment Authorization has
    > > > different name. I want this to be fixed before they issue me a green card. Can
    > > > I go to the local INS office, which I think is Pomona for me to fix it, or do I
    > > > need to go to a court! Any help will be highly appreciated.
    > > >
    > > >
    > > > Cheers Amit
    > >
    > > Is the name totally different or is it the case that your native language employs
    > > an alphabet that different people transliterate differently? If it is the latter
    > > case, I don't think you have anything to worry about. If you're worried just
    > > point it out yourself at the interview so that there is no reason to believe you
    > > were trying to hide anything.
    > >
    > > From our experience, the INS isn't very reliable itself when it comes to names.
    > > My wife has a long Russian name. Although I was careful to spell everything
    > > correctly on her forms, her name was misspelled on several letters we received
    > > from them. When she went for fingerprinting, the technician told her to check
    > > the spelling on the computer before he submitted the prints, because this is how
    > > it would look on her green card. Nonetheless, it was still misspelled on her
    > > green card.
    >
    > Was it "misspelled" or transliterated differently? The name in her passport would
    > have been transliterated using the french pronunciation since the Russian passport
    > is in French and Russian. The transliterazation used by INS is an English one.

We've been through this before. It was MISSPELLED! Her name should end "-skaia" (or
"-skaya," depending on your preference) and it was spelled "-skalia." I'm pretty
familiar with all the different patterns for transliterating Russian Cyrillic into
Latin script, and I know of no instances where you throw in a random L.

Old Apr 23rd 2002, 10:40 pm
Michael Voight

geminiboy7 wrote:
    >
    > Hi! Thank you so much. My last name has to be removed from the papers. I do not
    > have a last name and they have put my father's last name on mine. since my passport
    > and birth certificate has the correct name, I want it to be on my green cars as
    > well. The first name and middle name are same but the last name has to go away.
    > Thanks a lot, I hope it will work out. So I assume I wont need to go in the court
    > for that.

Are you saying there is no last name on your birth certificate, but your father does?
I am confused.

Old Apr 30th 2002, 8:10 pm
Paul

"geminiboy7" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>.. .
    > Hi Friends! I am in trouble! I need to change my name on my AOS papers. It is in
    > process but 2 days ago I got an interview letter call from the INS (Los Angeles)
    > and it is scheduled in July 2002. Do you guys know what shall I do or where shall I
    > go to change my name. My passport and birth certificate has my real name but other
    > papers like form I-94 and employment Authorization has different name. I want this
    > to be fixed before they issue me a green card. Can I go to the local INS office,
    > which I think is Pomona for me to fix it, or do I need to go to a court! Any help
    > will be highly appreciated.
    >
    >
    > Cheers Amit

Is the name totally different or is it the case that your native language employs an
alphabet that different people transliterate differently? If it is the latter case, I
don't think you have anything to worry about. If you're worried just point it out
yourself at the interview so that there is no reason to believe you were trying to
hide anything.

From our experience, the INS isn't very reliable itself when it comes to names. My
wife has a long Russian name. Although I was careful to spell everything correctly on
her forms, her name was misspelled on several letters we received from them. When she
went for fingerprinting, the technician told her to check the spelling on the
computer before he submitted the prints, because this is how it would look on her
green card. Nonetheless, it was still misspelled on her green card.