Houston POE NIGHTMARE!!!

Old Jan 1st 2004, 10:05 pm
Overworked and exhausted

Hebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Houston POE NIGHTMARE!!!

Originally posted by Khadija
I'm not sure it's a political opinion. I agree, too, the least qualified person in this process to judge admissability is the POE "cop". It's the process which is flawed. Maybe because that what the law specifies it must be, I don't know. As I recall, though, laws generally state the "what" not the "how". It's up to the agencies to interpret how the law should be administered and then develop processes to do that. In this case, there hasn't been a process review (I bet they'd have a hard time flowcharting the whole mess if they had to) in ages, I'm sure. Stating that a process is flawed is not necessarily a statement of politically leanings. It's just stating the obvious.

Patty
The only thing I object to in terms of the powers of the POE officers is the power to exclude, and perhaps it is that degree of power which makes some of them act conceited and rude. There have to be rules on how to treat people and a prohibition against questions that have nothing to do with immigration. But it does make sense that they're given the power to interrogate instead of just being a rubber stamp because the consulates may have missed something. While the consulate interview is done to determine the authenticity of the alien's intentions, there are some high fraud consulates where staff members sell visas to people. So USCIS, the consulates, and the POE work together to catch anything that may have slipped the others' notice.
Old Jan 1st 2004, 10:15 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

I would like to see more consistency. If the interviews are going to be tough, I think they should be tough on everybody. Profiling works to a certain extent, but it doesn't make me feel very safe. Not all terrorists are Muslims. Not all Muslims are Arabic. Not all Arabic people are people of color. Not all Middle Eastern people are Muslim. Not all Muslims are from the Middle East. My husband happens to be fair skinned (whiter than me), blond (what little hair he has left), and fluent in English. He is also Muslim and of Arabic descent. When we travel in Morocco, people always think we're a couple of American tourists until he starts talking.

Originally posted by Hebapotamus42
The only thing I object to in terms of the powers of the POE officers is the power to exclude, and perhaps it is that degree of power which makes some of them act conceited and rude. There have to be rules on how to treat people and a prohibition against questions that have nothing to do with immigration. But it does make sense that they're given the power to interrogate instead of just being a rubber stamp because the consulates may have missed something. While the consulate interview is done to determine the authenticity of the alien's intentions, there are some high fraud consulates where staff members sell visas to people. So USCIS, the consulates, and the POE work together to catch anything that may have slipped the others' notice.
Old Jan 1st 2004, 10:51 pm
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Leslie66
I would like to see more consistency. If the interviews are going to be tough, I think they should be tough on everybody. Profiling works to a certain extent, but it doesn't make me feel very safe. Not all terrorists are Muslims. Not all Muslims are Arabic. Not all Arabic people are people of color. Not all Middle Eastern people are Muslim. Not all Muslims are from the Middle East. My husband happens to be fair skinned (whiter than me), blond (what little hair he has left), and fluent in English. He is also Muslim and of Arabic descent. When we travel in Morocco, people always think we're a couple of American tourists until he starts talking.
YOU GO GIRL!!!!
Old Jan 2nd 2004, 12:15 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Hebapotamus42

In some cases what might appear to be an non-immigrant related question could in fact be a question that will lead to an answer or further avenue of questioning that will weed out relationships that are not on the up and up for whatever reason, i.e. green card, terrorism, etc. As for rudeness, who is the one that will define rudeness? The American, the European, the Hispanic, the Middle Eastern? Rudeness from my viewpoint differs from culture to culture and region to region. So what would be the guideline on which you would base your definition of rudeness? New Yorkers are considered abrupt because of their quickness of speech and fast paced lives and yet they are not truly rude.

Most people object to the power anyone else has over their lives. It doesn't matter if it is the cop on the beat, the boss from hell, the landlord who borders on slum lord or the man and/or woman behind the DMV desk. There is and always will be someone in "power" when you are asking for a benefit. With the need to migrate your foreign loved one, you have asked for a benefit from the USCIS, the US Consulate and the guys at the POE.

While it was unfortunate that this young woman's fiancee and she were interrogated at the POE, I don't know if, although she said it took him four hours to get through the POE, if those four hours was solely for the interrogation or for the entire process, wait time, questioning, envelope opening, luggage claim, etc. The questions, with the exception of those that dealt with her engagement ring and conversion to Isalm, do not appear to be any different than others have reported to be asked over the years. While not always as lengthy, they have been asked, of others at US Consulates and at POEs. You just have to read posts from people who are dealing with the US Consulates in some Indian cities or in certain African nations. The question of religion and the conversion of the USC spouse to the religion of the foreign fiancee/spouse is often asked in Indian citizens interviews. As is whether the families approve and have been met in person.

We can only theorize why citizens from the Middle East are being so stringently investigated these days and I'm sure not all of it has to do with terrorism, especially if they have come away with a clean name search.

We can always wish for equality in treatment and we can even work to try and make it so. For now, these posters and their loved ones have to deal with this issue and have to decide on what course they will follow when the going gets rough.

Rete
Old Jan 2nd 2004, 6:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

lpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond repute

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We can always wish for equality in treatment and we can even work to try and make it so.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Noble thought but foreign citizens aren't afforded this "right". In fact the USCIS regularly discriminates based on sex, race, creed...etc. The only way they will ever treat everyone equally is to deny them all. Sad but true.
Old Jan 2nd 2004, 9:29 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by lpdiver
We can always wish for equality in treatment and we can even work to try and make it so.
Noble thought but foreign citizens aren't afforded this "right". In fact the USCIS regularly discriminates based on sex, race, creed...etc. The only way they will ever treat everyone equally is to deny them all. Sad but true.

Don't know where you get that idea but I don't see that to be true. I've been in USCIS' offices many times over the last five odd years and I see both sexes there and all nationalities and cultures. At Jim's interview for naturalization and at his subsequent swearing in ceremony there were representatives from every nation and the ages of people ranged from what appeared to be late 70's and early 80's to young 20 year olds. Some spoke English well and others hardly a word. Even at the interview if you are mentally impaired you can still become a US citizen. Sounds to be like you have a grudge for some reason and it has caused you to be overly negative.

In fact if you did your homework you would know that even illegal aliens have rights under the laws of the US and can obtain legal recourse for unfair employment, discrimination, injuries, etc.

Rete