Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

To Houston or not to Houston, that is the question

To Houston or not to Houston, that is the question

Old Mar 19th 2009, 4:06 pm
Just Joined

asmo15 will become famous soon enough
Question To Houston or not to Houston, that is the question

Hello, newbie here

I am not strictly speaking a British Expat, as I am Danish/French BUT I have been living in the UK for the past 5 years and do not feel like an expat here :-)

My husband has just been offered a project in Houston for 1-2 years, which in these redundancy-prone times is quite alluring. However we are not sure if it would be best to negotiate a 1 week-3 week deal (1 week a month in Houston) or to relocate there for such a 'short period' of time. We have an 18 months old daughter, with doting grand-parents who are used to seeing her every 2 months. To continue that would mean expensive travel back and forth and LOOOONG flights alone with a toddler.

Also, we are quite urban, don't own a car (DH doesn't drive) and are used to living in Central London where we can walk everywhere. I am concerned we will have to choose between urban lifestyle and family-friendly surroundings in Houston. And I worry about crime rates too. And hurricanes.

If our daughter was older, I guess it would be more of an adventure for her, instead it might be an ordeal what with the heat, the flights, the move (we just moved into new flat 3 weeks ago!)

Anyone has any words of advice on my rambling questions?
Old Mar 19th 2009, 4:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

cranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To Houston or not to Houston, that is the question

I would suggest you already know the answer to your own question.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 4:19 pm
Just Joined

asmo15 will become famous soon enough

Thank you, Cranston, I can see why you would think that.

But I am drawing up pro and con lists, and just looking for 'fuel' for both sides. I have lived in 12-15 different countries, but somehow this move doesn't appeal, and I just want to know if it's a gut 'European' reaction to the idea of Big Oil Texas, or if there is great stuff there which I just don't know about.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 4:19 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Your right it would be a nightmare ..forget it ..
Old Mar 19th 2009, 5:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Don't even think about trying to get by in Houston with no car.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 5:41 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asmo15
Hello, newbie here........Anyone has any words of advice on my rambling questions?
If you are adventurous, and it is purely temporary, it'll be an experience.

18 months in Houston will make you appreciate just about anywhere else sooooooo much more!
Old Mar 19th 2009, 6:25 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

What visa you'll be getting? Presuming a L1 company transfer? That'll allow you to work after you get a EAD if that's something important to you.

Certainly worth a go when you don't have to worry about kids and school, if your able to wrangle a couple family flights home a year in the package, that and repatriation costs.
Old Mar 24th 2009, 7:14 pm
Forum Regular

topcat1972 is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=asmo15;7398200]Hello, newbie here

Also, we are quite urban, don't own a car (DH doesn't drive) and are used to living in Central London where we can walk everywhere. I am concerned we will have to choose between urban lifestyle and family-friendly surroundings in Houston. And I worry about crime rates too. And hurricanes.

You would definitely need a car to get around whether you are living in Houston or the surrounding area, you would struggle without one. So that as very important in making your decision IMHO
Old Mar 24th 2009, 7:36 pm
Forum Regular

sassy-cat is just really nicesassy-cat is just really nicesassy-cat is just really nicesassy-cat is just really nicesassy-cat is just really nicesassy-cat is just really nicesassy-cat is just really nicesassy-cat is just really nice

Doesn't sound like a good move to me. Two years would feel like an eternity in Texas and I'd avoid staying anything longer than an airport layover.
Old Mar 24th 2009, 8:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sassy-cat
Doesn't sound like a good move to me. Two years would feel like an eternity in Texas and I'd avoid staying anything longer than an airport layover.
Sassy-cat - Have you ever been to Texas? Since it is bigger than France, it's a bit like saying avoid France because you didn't like Paris! IMHO Houston is a dump and I'd move back to the UK before moving there, but to tar Austin, Dallas, San Antonio or Lubbuck(!) shows how little you have seen of TX.

To the OP - Getting anywhere in TX without a car is impossible, and be prepared to spend lots of time in that car if you move to Houston, the traffic is terrible. It is also very hot and humid in the summer, and hot and humid for the rest of the time; also it is polluted and downright ugly, with the lack of zoning leading to a sprawling mess.

- Tim
Old Mar 24th 2009, 9:07 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Have to agree with previous posts - getting around without a car would be nearly impossible unless you lived downtown and close to the amenities that you are used to - playgroups, shopping etc. There is a very limited bus service which only operates downtown and taxi's are not readily available other than at the airport. I could count on 1 hand how many taxi's & buses I see in a week..

Houston itself has it's good and bad sides. I for one would never in a million years want to live in London for example but am enjoying Houston very much (we have been here 10 months so far out of DH's three year contract). We survived perfectly well through the heat of last summer and Hurricane Ike .

We felt as though we weren't getting any younger and had to seize opportunities like this when they arose. Who knows if the chance would come up again. For now we feel that we would be happy to stay longer if DH and his work are up for it at the end of our first 3 years. Even our 10 year old son is quite happily settled at our local school.
Old Mar 24th 2009, 9:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

pejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond repute

I've never been so cant say first hand, but everyone I know that has been to Houston says its a complete shithole.
Old Mar 24th 2009, 9:48 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimFountain
Sassy-cat - Have you ever been to Texas? Since it is bigger than France, it's a bit like saying avoid France because you didn't like Paris! IMHO Houston is a dump and I'd move back to the UK before moving there, but to tar Austin, Dallas, San Antonio or Lubbuck(!) shows how little you have seen of TX.

To the OP - Getting anywhere in TX without a car is impossible, and be prepared to spend lots of time in that car if you move to Houston, the traffic is terrible. It is also very hot and humid in the summer, and hot and humid for the rest of the time; also it is polluted and downright ugly, with the lack of zoning leading to a sprawling mess.

- Tim

Houston is what it is...a big city and like any big city it has it good and bad points. There are a lot of good things about Houston, there are often very good concerts at the Cynthia Woods Pavillon, there is a wonderful Opera Society, Houston Ballet. As well as that we have the Astros, the Rockets and the best soccer team in the MLS.

There is also the annual Houston Rodeo, the choice of some wonderful restaurants. There is of course the whole Museum district that has some great exhibits every year and we are proud of our Medical Center...MD Anderson is one of the best cancer centers in the world.

Quit knocking Houston all the time. It may get hot and humid here in the summer and we may have a lot of mosquitoes and nasty fire ants but for it has some wonderful friendly people and I like it.

It just makes me mad that people diss somewhere they have never lived before and know nothing about it. It may not be as pretty as Austin, San Antonio etc but it has its own charm.....Houston is NOT the PITS
Old Mar 24th 2009, 10:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sassy-cat
I love the part of Texas I live in
Old Mar 24th 2009, 11:53 pm
Forum Regular

sassy-cat is just really nicesassy-cat is just really nicesassy-cat is just really nicesassy-cat is just really nicesassy-cat is just really nicesassy-cat is just really nicesassy-cat is just really nicesassy-cat is just really nice

Originally Posted by TimFountain

- Tim
I've been to Houston and Dallas. I have a friend in Austin and my OH regularly visits San Antonio (annual conference) for work. While I might consider a very short vacation to visit a friend or join my OH at the conference I'd really rather not move to Texas. Just my opinion.
As the OP mentioned Houston specifically maybe I should have just commented on that city ....

I Love Paris though (the city in France not TX!) and most of the rest of France too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.