Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Horrible citizenship interview experience in NY

Horrible citizenship interview experience in NY

Old Feb 6th 2010, 5:21 pm
Forum Regular

jujubar has a spectacular aura aboutjujubar has a spectacular aura aboutjujubar has a spectacular aura about
Angry Horrible citizenship interview experience in NY

Well it started ok got through the questions fine. Obviously the writing, and speaking went ok too. My application review was fine too. She did question my gap in employment when I was stay at home mom. Thought this was a little strange.

Then she asked for the proof of my marriage validity & tax returns.
this is where the fun started.
I had brought the copies of my tax returns that my lawyer had provided. she wanted a copy of these. strike out one for me.

Then she asks for
Three years of bank statements.
Three years of credits card statements.
Three years of car insurance proof.
Three years of Utilities.

None of which I had with me.
I had recent bank statements, car insurance documents & closing statement from house purchase in feb 2008 as the document list I had receieved only
asked for proof of marital union as well as proof of residence .

So now I have to go back before the 19th feb, with three of each of the above from 2007,08,09.

Does any know what the difference between tax transcripts & the copies that i have from the attorney are they not the same thing. IRS are telling me at least 2 weeks for transcripts?

I should add to this that I am very visibly 5 months pregnant & we already have a three year old. Not enough proof of my valid marriage I guess.

I spoke with the lawyer we used from my green card app in 03. We was surprised my this his hunch is that the interviewer is brand new & this is why she was looking for so much info.

To top this off the baby I'm carrying is very ill with severe heart defect & possible stomach defect. It took all of me not become an emotional pregnant women on this interviewer but i know better.
Old Feb 6th 2010, 5:55 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Horrible citizenship interview experience in NY

Each DOA is different. Just wondering how long you were married when you AOS'd. Were you a CPR or an LPR when you were adjudicated? That might account for the scrutiny.

Anyway, how in heaven's name will you get three years of utility bills?

Tax transcipts are one page only and isn't even on IRS letterhead as we would think. They say ten days but it is usually less.
Old Feb 6th 2010, 6:17 pm
Forum Regular

jujubar has a spectacular aura aboutjujubar has a spectacular aura aboutjujubar has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Rete
Each DOA is different. Just wondering how long you were married when you AOS'd. Were you a CPR or an LPR when you were adjudicated? That might account for the scrutiny.

Anyway, how in heaven's name will you get three years of utility bills?

Tax transcipts are one page only and isn't even on IRS letterhead as we would think. They say ten days but it is usually less.
We were married april of 2003 applied in may, did not get called for interview till august of 2005. So almost two and a half years.
I'm a LPR card does no expire till september 2015.

I actually keep all our bills and could have accessed this info easily if i had known i needed to bring them.

Its the transcipts I more concerned about. Why aren't the copies good enough.

Thanks for the reply.
Old Feb 6th 2010, 6:56 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Transcripts are PROOF of what the IRS has on file.
Copies can be made up & discarded or never filed.
Old Feb 6th 2010, 7:02 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Mexauna thats the answer i was looking for hope i can make their 2/17 deadline.

Why not put the full doc request in the notice pack. I would have been perfectly ready. Why do you get told this at the interview. Its definitley a waste of government resourses having an applicant come back multiple times.
Old Feb 6th 2010, 8:15 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jujubar
Why not put the full doc request in the notice pack.
You've been a forum member for a long time... did you not read any of the recent N-400 interview posts? Before going to your interview, did you ask anyone here whether or not the documents you had were sufficient? Your questions and concerns could have been answered before your interview... and you would have been better prepared.

Its definitley a waste of government resourses having an applicant come back multiple times.
Yes... I feel the same way!

Ian
Old Feb 6th 2010, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

Talking Re: Horrible citizenship interview experience in NY

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
You've been a forum member for a long time... did you not read any of the recent N-400 interview posts? Before going to your interview, did you ask anyone here whether or not the documents you had were sufficient? Your questions and concerns could have been answered before your interview... and you would have been better prepared.

Yes... I feel the same way!

Ian
you are still as crabby you were 5 yrs. ago.

also if you can show one post showing 3 yrs of info request i would appreciate.
I can't find any that mention it.
Old Feb 6th 2010, 9:22 pm
Guttural Brumerican

Titchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond repute

When I ha dmy interview last year, I only had 3 years of tax returns with me - that I was not asked to produce. However, I did apply for citizenship based on 5 years of residency, rather than after 3 years residency based on marriage. Dunno if that would make a difference.
Old Feb 7th 2010, 12:10 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Titchski
When I ha dmy interview last year, I only had 3 years of tax returns with me - that I was not asked to produce. However, I did apply for citizenship based on 5 years of residency, rather than after 3 years residency based on marriage. Dunno if that would make a difference.
My spouse had his N-400 interview last year, and was not asked to provide any of the items jujubar mentioned. Of course everyone's mileage varies.

Rene
Old Feb 7th 2010, 1:13 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

The reason I asked about your initial status - CPR or LPR is because it sounds like she is treating your naturalization as a means of verifying the continuity of your marriage much the same as the removal of conditions does.

Glad you have everything in your files and you will get the transcripts in time.
Old Feb 7th 2010, 1:20 am
Forum Regular

Red face Re: Horrible citizenship interview experience in NY

Originally Posted by Rete
The reason I asked about your initial status - CPR or LPR is because it sounds like she is treating your naturalization as a means of verifying the continuity of your marriage much the same as the removal of conditions does.

Glad you have everything in your files and you will get the transcripts in time.
Our attorney who we did not use for this part of the process (has become more of friend we sent many referrals) thinks its because the adjudicator was possibly new and just crossing her T's & dotting her I's.

Just spent the last hour pulling all the Bank Statements etc. Just need the trancripts now. will bring everything to the office tomorrow to make copies.

Thanks for all the insight promise to update later
Old Feb 7th 2010, 12:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Zonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Titchski
For the 5 year non marriage application I thought you just needed your green card and any traffic citation paperwork. Am I correct?
Old Feb 7th 2010, 12:36 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Zonie
For the 5 year non marriage application I thought you just needed your green card and any traffic citation paperwork. Am I correct?
No, you're not. You need the tax returns as well since they show proof that you are of good moral character and have filed and paid taxes.
Old Feb 7th 2010, 2:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

discoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
My spouse had his N-400 interview last year, and was not asked to provide any of the items jujubar mentioned. Of course everyone's mileage varies.

Rene
A former co-worker of mine had his N-400 interview in New York City, and was asked to produce the last 3 years of tax returns, utility bills etc. He immigrated with his parents as a child, and was applying based on 5+ years as an LPR. He was grilled on a number of minute details, but had all the paperwork being requested with him, and was approved at the end of his interview.

So when it came time for my naturalization interview in Newark, NJ (also based on 5+ years as an LPR) i brought a briefcase full of every scrap of documentation i could get my hands on, just to be prepared. Of course my interviewer did not ask for any of it. The only old piece of documentation that came in handy was my expired passport with my K1 visa in it, when we checked the entry stamp to see which date i entered on the K1 in 84, so the interviewer could update the computer files with that date. For some reason the date did not show in the computer.

I think the moral of the story is to overprepare for any interview. It seems to be at the discretion of the individual adjudicator to decide which piece of evidence they want to see, but it's better to bring too much evidence and not need it than not being able to produce something and have to come back again later. I think we have seen evidence of that in more than one thread here.
Old Feb 7th 2010, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

nolimits is an unknown quantity at this point

jujbar, you sound as if you have lot of wories with your little one, you did not need all this hassle. Just to say hope all goes well for you and all will be well with your baby.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.