Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Holidaying in the USA with a criminal conviction

Holidaying in the USA with a criminal conviction

Old Apr 24th 2009, 2:40 pm
Just Joined

riley83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Holidaying in the USA with a criminal conviction

All,

Thank you very much for your replies.

I am not sure whether my conviction is considered as a 'petty offense excpetion'? And does this apply in my case?

I am a happy to apply for a visa providing I have some sort of idea if I was actually be allowed to enter the US.

I have checked my options for changing my flights and unfortunately I can change my flight but the route is still the same, meaning I still need to do a stopover in the US (1.5 hours)... do you need to go through immigration if you just do stopovers???

If i was to book another flight to completely re route and avoid the US then it's going to cost an arm and leg to do...

My other concern is that, my employer has US offices - does that mean that my chances of getting a working visa is even slimmer?

Thanks again.
Old Apr 24th 2009, 2:53 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowguy
Doesn't that differ from

http://ortega-medina.com/criminal_in...ense_exception

"if one satisfies the requirements of the "petty offense exception", one may enter the United States without first visiting the embassy or enduring the lengthy and onerous burden of applying for a waiver."
I can't speak to the accuracy of unknown web sites but it goes on to say:

"Ultimately, the decision to admit or not to admit in such a case lies entirely in the hands of the inspecting officer at the U.S. port of entry. This officer is the person that must be convinced whether or not one is admissible under section 212 of the Act. Thus, to properly claim the "petty offense exception" it is essential that one be armed with the evidence and (preferably) the applicable legal authority."

It is unlikely they will be easily convinced by someone who either lied on the ESTA form, or ignored the ESTA instructions to seek a B-2 visa. They can VWP refuse someone for any little reason and there is no review.
Old Apr 24th 2009, 3:02 pm
Forum Regular

snowguy is a name known to allsnowguy is a name known to allsnowguy is a name known to allsnowguy is a name known to allsnowguy is a name known to allsnowguy is a name known to allsnowguy is a name known to allsnowguy is a name known to allsnowguy is a name known to allsnowguy is a name known to allsnowguy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by crg14624
I can't speak to the accuracy of unknown web sites
Seemingly hes a contributor here.

He wrote this http://britishexpats.com/articles/us...ic-travel-usa/

So maybe he can expand on this discussion.

Last edited by snowguy; Apr 24th 2009 at 3:13 pm.
Old Apr 24th 2009, 3:03 pm
Just Joined

Just wondering , if I can't change my route and need to do a 1.5 hours stopover in the US - do i still need a visa for that??
Old Apr 24th 2009, 3:11 pm
Forum Regular

snowguy is a name known to allsnowguy is a name known to allsnowguy is a name known to allsnowguy is a name known to allsnowguy is a name known to allsnowguy is a name known to allsnowguy is a name known to allsnowguy is a name known to allsnowguy is a name known to allsnowguy is a name known to allsnowguy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by riley83
Just wondering , if I can't change my route and need to do a 1.5 hours stopover in the US - do i still need a visa for that??
Yes

On the Petty Offenses Exception

Originally Posted by bjohn
You need to apply for a police certificate from here. http://www.acpo.police.uk/certificates.asp

This will tell you if it is one or multiple crimes.

Last edited by snowguy; Apr 24th 2009 at 3:15 pm.
Old Apr 24th 2009, 3:25 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. The Transit Without Visa Program (TWOV) ended years ago.
Old Apr 24th 2009, 6:32 pm
Just Joined

I have been trying to look for alternative routes but unfortunately to change my ticket is costing me about ~£1000. Not a sum of money I want to pay.

Out of curiosity... If i was to do a stopover in US for just 1.5 hours... if they find that I don't have a visa will they just send me on the next flight home or what would happen??? I am worried that I won't even be allowed a visa.

Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 24th 2009, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

Out of curiosity... If i was to do a stopover in US for just 1.5 hours... if they find that I don't have a visa will they just send me on the next flight home or what would happen??? I am worried that I won't even be allowed a visa.

Thanks in advance.
You need to apply for a police certificate from here. http://www.acpo.police.uk/certificates.asp

This will tell you if it is one or multiple crimes.

If it is one crime, then you should be able to use the petty offenses clause. No-one here knows if you have commited one or more crimes.

If you try and enter when you are inadmissable, they may send you straight back to the UK, or worse, lock you up till they can send you back.
Old Apr 24th 2009, 6:52 pm
Just Joined

I think it is classifed as 3 convictions but I am going to get a Police Certificate to double check.

If I have 3 convictions then that doesn't fall under petty offense... what do you think my chances of getting a visa is at all??

Thanks again
Old Apr 24th 2009, 7:13 pm
Junior Showtime

Kate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond repute

I think it is classifed as 3 convictions but I am going to get a Police Certificate to double check.

If I have 3 convictions then that doesn't fall under petty offense... what do you think my chances of getting a visa is at all??

Thanks again
See post #7, 14 and 23. No one here has a crystal ball. Get the certificate, apply for the visitors visa and post the outcome here.