Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Holidaying in the USA and Canada with a driving conviction.. please help!

Holidaying in the USA and Canada with a driving conviction.. please help!

Old May 20th 2008, 2:18 am
Just Joined

aussie_gal86 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Holidaying in the USA and Canada with a driving conviction.. please help!

I am looking to travel within the U.S.A and Canada around the June-August part of 2009. My partner and I are looking to return within three months, and therefore do not require a Visa through the Visa Waiver Program.

I however, was convicted of Driving While Disqualified in July of 2007,
(i was caught speeding in july 06)

and other than that it was my first offence and as it was found to be for a justified reason,
(to stop a friend from drink driving)
I was given a fine, and put back on my probationary license with no other sentence or disciplinary action.

I am an intelligent, kind-hearted, confident person with a good character and this was a once off situation.

I am inquiring as to whether i would have to apply for a Visa due to this conviction, or whether I will be denied access to the U.S.A or Canada??

Thank-you so much for your time.

Also, if it matters, I am 21 years old.
I know it won't count as a juvenile conviction.
The incident occurred in November 2006.

Last edited by aussie_gal86; May 20th 2008 at 3:37 am.
Old May 20th 2008, 2:21 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Holidaying in the USA and Canada with a driving conviction.. please help!

Originally Posted by aussie_gal86
I however, was convicted of Driving While Disqualified in July of 2007, it was my first offence
So how did you manage to be disqualified from driving in the first place if this was your first offense?
Old May 20th 2008, 2:49 am
Just Joined

aussie_gal86 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Holidaying in the USA and Canada with a driving conviction.. please help!

oh! I was caught speeding, I always forget about that. It was my first conviction where I was knowingly breaking the law. The first time I actually had to go to court.
Old May 20th 2008, 5:14 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

oh! I was caught speeding, I always forget about that. It was my first conviction where I was knowingly breaking the law. The first time I actually had to go to court.
You lost your licence for one speedinhg ticket ..

anything else you forgot ...
Old May 20th 2008, 12:30 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

My partner and I are looking to return within three months, and therefore do not require a Visa through the Visa Waiver Program.
Well... that'll depend on whether or not your conviction is a CIMT. It probably isn't... but it could be.

Ian
Old May 20th 2008, 3:40 pm
LAL
Mad Geordie Spaniard

LAL has much to be proud ofLAL has much to be proud ofLAL has much to be proud ofLAL has much to be proud ofLAL has much to be proud ofLAL has much to be proud ofLAL has much to be proud ofLAL has much to be proud ofLAL has much to be proud ofLAL has much to be proud ofLAL has much to be proud of

Newly passed driver's in uk have to keep their noses clean for 2 years... if they get 6 points or more on their license they automatically lose their license and have to resit the test again
So if OP was caught speeding she would have gotten 3 points...or maybe more depends how fast she was going..... so that could be why she was "disqualified" for one offence.
LAL
Old May 20th 2008, 3:43 pm
LAL
Mad Geordie Spaniard

LAL has much to be proud ofLAL has much to be proud ofLAL has much to be proud ofLAL has much to be proud ofLAL has much to be proud ofLAL has much to be proud ofLAL has much to be proud ofLAL has much to be proud ofLAL has much to be proud ofLAL has much to be proud ofLAL has much to be proud of
Smile Re: Holidaying in the USA and Canada with a driving conviction.. please help!

After reading the post again, I should have said if OP has a UK License because I now notice her name is Aussie girl
Honestly nightshift and a hyperactive 5 year-old are not good for the health......especially when mixed!!!
Old May 21st 2008, 1:10 am
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

Similarly, if you speed fast enough on a probationary license in Australia, you lose your license.
Old May 21st 2008, 1:20 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by augigi
Similarly, if you speed fast enough on a probationary license in Australia, you lose your license.
If you speed fast enough on some of the back roads in this neck of the woods, you get hired as a NASCAR driver!

Ian
Old May 21st 2008, 1:39 am
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

Hah.. I'll have to remember that when I take a road trip this weekend.