Hobbes timeline to full greencard

Old Jul 17th 2008, 2:23 am
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hobbes timeline to full greencard

Here goes (partly at meauxna's request ).

I'll put personal notes in italics. Time lines are slight estimates on occasion.

July 2001 Wish to move to US to be with girlfriend

As will come as no surprise to most, marriage is looking like the only option, so begin fiance visa paperwork, though feel rather young to do so. At same time am applying for jobs.

August 2001 Get job offer! Stop filling out fiance paperwork.
September 2001 Move to US on J-1 visa
August 2002 Same company gets me H-1B visa (no lottery back then)
June 2004 Marry USC (girlfriend I came for in first place)
May 2005 Apply for marriage based greencard (I know, should have done earlier ) through the Dallas DORA pilot scheme
August 2005 Greencard approved (yes, really that quick)

'06, laid off.

September 2006 Apply for re-entry permit

Return to UK after receiving good job offer - wife in tow.

Have baby June 2007. Ensure his USC through report of consular report of birth abroad at London US embassy.

August 2007 Apply for removal of conditions whilst still in UK. Actually filed a couple of days late, but was forgiven.
September 2007 Informed re-entry permit was destroyed (long story). Ignored that minor issue

Fly over for family visit during November '07 trip. Also interview for job in Boston and get it.

November 2007 Biometrics taken in Portland, ME.

Return to UK

Return to US January 2008 to start job.

July 16th 2008 Card production of 10-year card ordered.

Wow, that's my not so indirect journey to permanent residency. "Only" took about 7-years
Old Jul 17th 2008, 1:05 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hobbes timeline to full greencard

Congratulations ... at least you made it to the finish line.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 1:17 pm
Forum Regular

californian is an unknown quantity at this point

That is a heck of story. Congrats.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 4:09 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Hobbes; it's certainly quite a story!

All the best to you & the fam, and I imagine we'll be seeing you around for N-400 fun soon.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 4:19 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, what a long journey! Thanks for sharing your whole story. Congratulations on the new card!

Rene
Old Jul 17th 2008, 4:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, sure would have been a lot quicker if I'd have just bitten the bullet and gotten married at the age of 21 in 2001!

But for the sake of my sanity (and that of the future wife) it was the right thing for us. Meant we could eventually do it without the pressure of immigration. Which was nice and a luxury not many people wanting to join a partner in the US get to have.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 4:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by meauxna
All the best to you & the fam, and I imagine we'll be seeing you around for N-400 fun soon.
Thanks! The prolonged absence outside the US has dragged that out a little longer, though I'll be eligible towards the end of next year
Old Jul 25th 2008, 11:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

One final entry:

July 25 2008 Card arrives in the mail

Just a quick note... I actually moved 3-times during the I-751 process and simply changed my case address on-line while also taking care of my AR-11 requirements. It's 2 separate on-line forms that you fill in one after the other.

The card arrived fine at my new address. I was nervous, but nothing to worry about so it seems