Hi there - L1B Question

Old Dec 19th 2008, 10:37 am
Just Joined

Irishmom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hi there - L1B Question

Hi everyone, I have been lurking here for a quite a long time now and the info I have gathered from this site has been absolutely fantastic, all of my questions have been answered through various threads
Well, as you can see from my username I am from Ireland and at the moment we are trying to relocate to Chicago in 2009. The L1B petition is being worked on as we speak and the immigration lawyer informed us yesterday that they will submit the petition just after christmas using premium processing.
I suppose my question to you is seeing as we probably won't find out until mid January if we are approved, are we cutting it a bit tight? We have our flight booked for Feb 21st and hubby starting work start of March. Is it possible for it all to be tied up and sorted by then? Just asking your opinion that's all.
Thanks a mill
Old Dec 19th 2008, 12:54 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi there - L1B Question

Originally Posted by Irishmom
... they will submit the petition just after christmas using premium processing.
Hello... welcome to BE. You should know that "premium processing" doesn't guarantee anything other than a response within 15 days - it does not guarantee approval within 15 days. That response might indicate that it will take a further 90 days to process your application.

I suppose my question to you is seeing as we probably won't find out until mid January if we are approved, are we cutting it a bit tight?
Maybe... hard to say!

We have our flight booked for Feb 21st and hubby starting work start of March.
Generally speaking, you should *never* book a flight before you actually have the visa. There may be myriad, unforeseen delays.

Is it possible for it all to be tied up and sorted by then?
Possible? Yes. Likely? No one can say for sure. Many people have no problems while others get stuck for ages for no apparent reason at all. I'm not deliberately trying to be either nasty or a doomsayer... but there really is no way to know.

Ian
Old Dec 19th 2008, 6:41 pm
US immigration lawyer.

JCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond repute

I will second Ian's comments. (A) I always warn clients that if they make travel plans before the visas are in hand, they do so at their own risk. (B) L-1s have recently been subject to additional scrutiny, so I would no be surprised if your attorney receives a Request for Evidence (RFE). Don't forget that an RFE re-sets the 15-day clock.

I would not throw my hands up in despair, either. At this point, you're really in a wait-and-see posture.

Best of luck.

--J Craig Fong
Los Angeles, CA
Old Dec 26th 2008, 6:26 pm
Boston Sep 15th

starky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud of

Hi everyone, I have been lurking here for a quite a long time now and the info I have gathered from this site has been absolutely fantastic, all of my questions have been answered through various threads
Well, as you can see from my username I am from Ireland and at the moment we are trying to relocate to Chicago in 2009. The L1B petition is being worked on as we speak and the immigration lawyer informed us yesterday that they will submit the petition just after christmas using premium processing.
I suppose my question to you is seeing as we probably won't find out until mid January if we are approved, are we cutting it a bit tight? We have our flight booked for Feb 21st and hubby starting work start of March. Is it possible for it all to be tied up and sorted by then? Just asking your opinion that's all.
Thanks a mill
Hey there, I am a fellow Irish poster. I moved to Boston recently. Anyway I am guessing that you have your paperwork filed at the Embassy in Ballsbridge? It may not make much of a difference, but it seems to me that each embassy deals with visa applications with there own specific processes. I found dealing with the US Embassy in Dublin to be a very professional, and respectful experience. I have not herd great reports about the US embassy in London. Anyway the embassy in Dublin always try to issue immigrant visas, including duel intent visas on the same day as the interview.
The only visas mailed back to the applicants are non-immigrant visas.

Hopefully as long as you are approved and all your paperwork is in order you should be fine. The general rule of thumb on visas for the US is that you don't have it until its in your passport, I waited till my visa was issued before I made any arrangements. Anyway this is just a general opinion, the other posters were correct in setting your expectations, you could be fine or you may have a delay. welcome to BE and let me know if you have any other questions on making the move from Ireland to the US. :-)
Old Jan 12th 2009, 5:03 pm
Just Joined

Irishmom is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Starky, that is funny because I was actually reading up on your whole journey on getting to the states Thanks for responding.
I reckon our paperwork will be filed with the embassy in Dublin. Petition has been submitted so now we are just playing the waiting game, it went by premium processing so here's hoping we will get some indication within 15 days.
Hope you are having a ball in Boston? Big change of scenery from Ireland eh
Old Jan 12th 2009, 5:14 pm
Boston Sep 15th

starky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud of

Hi Starky, that is funny because I was actually reading up on your whole journey on getting to the states Thanks for responding.
I reckon our paperwork will be filed with the embassy in Dublin. Petition has been submitted so now we are just playing the waiting game, it went by premium processing so here's hoping we will get some indication within 15 days.
Hope you are having a ball in Boston? Big change of scenery from Ireland eh
Yea, its been fun so far. Takes some getting use to, although there are plenty of Irish people around Boston. I over hear them the whole time when I am out and about. Also I can buy most Irish things that I would otherwise miss here. Getting home is dead handy too. Aer lingus are doing flights now for $400, up to march. I am thinking of squeezing in a quick trip home at the end of feb. I paid $450 for my flight to my friends place in the US for Christmas! From Boston its really possible to get home for a long weekend, as long as the flights are not too expensive. Summer time of course the flights are expensive.
best of luck with the visa! Hopefully you will get it organised.