Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Hi All - boyfriend transferring to the US, visa for me?

Hi All - boyfriend transferring to the US, visa for me?

Old Sep 24th 2016, 2:25 pm
Just Joined

Hlove is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: ESTA/common law marriage

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Hi, if you're asking about a B2 Cohab visa, then you can never work on that anyway. Can I suggest you stick to your previous thread (not sure if you saw the responses you had to it?), and if you can give more info there as requested i.e. do you currently live together, what you do etc, then people will be able to help you out with visa options.

I'll move this post to it now to keep all the info together and so you can respond to those that asked for more info in your previous thread.

HTH, good luck.
Oh!! I did not get notified of those responses at all - and thank you everyone that's all very helpful. I have a business degree and good work experience in sales and recruitment. I currently freelance at a university so that could be an option. I could try for the B2 but worried incase I get rejected (as we have not been together long - 3 months!!) but have joint account and both names on bills etc. We want to get married but not in such a rush and my boyfriends new contract starts in December! Most people have said they built a good case with evidence and it was not looked at though...
Old Sep 24th 2016, 2:28 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hlove
Oh!! I did not get notified of those responses at all - and thank you everyone that's all very helpful. I have a business degree and good work experience in sales and recruitment. I currently freelance at a university so that could be an option. I could try for the B2 but worried incase I get rejected (as we have not been together long - 3 months!!) but have joint account and both names on bills etc. We want to get married but not in such a rush and my boyfriends new contract starts in December! Most people have said they built a good case with evidence and it was not looked at though...
Usual comment obout gdtting a B2 cohabiting visa is that you should have some 12 months of record, and please note that with a B2 you can't work AT ALL.
Old Sep 24th 2016, 2:30 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I have a business degree and good work experience in sales and recruitment.
The business degree might be helpful in getting you a work visa. The experience in sales and recruitment, not so much.

I currently freelance at a university so that could be an option.
How so?

I could try for the B2 but worried incase I get rejected (as we have not been together long - 3 months!!) but have joint account and both names on bills etc.
It's 3 months now, by the time you go to the interview it will be another couple of months. As long as you have proof that you are cohabitating, you should be OK. Joint account and both names on bills don't necessarily prove you live together, but it helps.

Rene
Old Sep 24th 2016, 3:23 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I could try for the B2 but worried incase I get rejected...
And this is a good reason why you should get married sooner rather than later.

We want to get married but not in such a rush...
So, after 3 months with this guy you're ready to up sticks and move to a different continent to play house together... but you can't be arsed to marry the guy in order to make it easy for both of you?

Ian
Old Oct 3rd 2016, 12:16 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Hi All - boyfriend transferring to the US, visa for me?

Hi there,

Just on the B2 cohabiting partners visa - you mentioned I would not be able to work ever... is that even if i get a common law marriage certificate when we get there?

How soon after common law marriage can I apply for the employment authorisation card and work legally?

thank you very much!
Old Oct 3rd 2016, 12:19 pm
Just Joined

i will marry him but we don't have enough time to plan the wedding we would like.

If my visa is rejected however, I understand we will need to marry in order to be able to live together in US.
Old Oct 3rd 2016, 12:22 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Just on the B2 cohabiting partners visa - you mentioned I would not be able to work ever... is that even if i get a common law marriage certificate when we get there?
Yes. The marriage is irrelevant... it's the B-2 visa that determines whether or not you can work. If he's getting an L-1 visa, the only way you'll be able to work is if you marry - and not a common law marriage... an actual marriage!

Ian
Old Oct 3rd 2016, 12:24 pm
Account Closed

i will marry him but we don't have enough time to plan the wedding we would like.
US immigration doesn't care about what you want. If you want to work and he's getting an L-1 visa, get married. That is your only viable choice whether you like it or not.

If my visa is rejected however, I understand we will need to marry in order to be able to live together in US.
You must also declare the visa denial on any subsequent visa.

Ian
Old Oct 3rd 2016, 12:27 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, because even if you were properly married you wouldn't be able to work on a B2, nobody can, it's just a temporary visitor visa essentially. But out of interest, what's a 'common law marriage certificate'?

If you really want to go with him and be able to work, you'll have to get married. No need for the wedding you'd like, just as a simple ceremony will do it, and then you can plan the 'proper' wedding for another time - guests don't even have to know that it's not the real wedding!
Old Oct 3rd 2016, 2:31 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,

How soon after common law marriage can I apply for the employment authorisation card and work legally?

thank you very much!
I agree with what Ian and Christmasoompa said (it would be hard to disagree, they stated the facts), but to further clarify, the US doesn't really have the concept of "common law marriage", and certainly not as it would relate to getting a visa.

Another thing, a bit of history as to how the B-2 "Cohabitating Domestic Partner" visa came to exist, which might help you understand why the restrictions exist. It was the result of a Presidential "executive order", which was a fudge to enable same-sex partners to enter the US at a time when same-sex marriage was not recognized by the US. Given the documentary requirements for a spouse of an H-1B or L-1A/B, not least a marriage certificate, the only thing the President could do was to stretch the rules around a B-2 visitor's visa to allow a B-2 to be used for an extended period by a same sex partner. The rules however also work for opposite sex partners, but that doesn't alter the fact that a B-2 domestic partner visa is a very unattractive option when a trailing spouse visa is a possibility.