Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

here in the US on visa waiver p can i change it to a work visa

here in the US on visa waiver p can i change it to a work visa

Old Feb 2nd 2005, 10:20 pm
Yeeehaahhh Cowboy

jonny140 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default here in the US on visa waiver p can i change it to a work visa

Im from australia , in the US on the visa waiver prog my circumstances have changed and i would like to work here how do i do this? jon
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 10:23 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: here in the US on visa waiver p can i change it to a work visa

You can't.
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 11:18 pm
Yeeehaahhh Cowboy

jonny140 is an unknown quantity at this point

damn!thanks for the prompt reply tho. dont they even have work holidays or something.
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 12:33 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jonny140
damn!thanks for the prompt reply tho. dont they even have work holidays or something.
nope.
Seasonal workers visa, an H somin'....but don't think you can get it while here on a vwp....could be wrong about that...but either way, ain't cheap.
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 3:07 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
nope.
Seasonal workers visa, an H somin'....but don't think you can get it while here on a vwp....could be wrong about that...but either way, ain't cheap.
Nope ..H2 all used up......
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 4:02 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Ray
Nope ..H2 all used up......
That's the one...and knew they were out to...any chance of being able to apply for one while here? or that like the H1B as in it's a major pain in the arse and the employer gets it for ya?
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 4:08 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
That's the one...and knew they were out to...any chance of being able to apply for one while here? or that like the H1B as in it's a major pain in the arse and the employer gets it for ya?
Not on a visa waiver... but you can look for a job... you just cant accept it or start it until visa sorted..
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 4:12 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
nope.
Bob's right. There's no way to change status to another nonimmigrant category like student or work while inside the United States. You'd have to leave the country and get a visa before returning.

I think the UK is known for the work/holiday visa but I don't know what the criteria are for getting one.
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 4:31 pm
Joe Feise

jonny140 wrote on 2/2/2005 16:18:
    >>You can't.
    >
    >
    > damn!thanks for the prompt reply tho. dont they even have work holidays
    > or something.
    >

There is a temporary visa for seasonal work (H2). But, a visa waiver
does not allow changing status.
And it takes a long time to get an H2 visa, anyway.

-Joe

Old Feb 4th 2005, 6:20 am
Just Joined

Michelle is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Jonny, the only benefit the VWP allows is that you don't need a visa to visit the US for a maximum of 90 days, you may just walk in and out using your passport. However, it doesn't allow you to change status or even extend your stay beyond 90 days. Those are the drawbacks. You get some, you lose some.

Originally Posted by crg14624
Bob's right. There's no way to change status to another nonimmigrant category like student or work while inside the United States. You'd have to leave the country and get a visa before returning.

I think the UK is known for the work/holiday visa but I don't know what the criteria are for getting one.
Old Feb 4th 2005, 6:51 pm
Chris Brunot

Yeah, that's true. Visa Waiver has its own advantages for visitors to
U.S. but the main disadvantage of the VWP is that you may not change or
extend your nonimmigrant status after entering the U.S.

And H-1B and H-2B is not available until Oct 1 (though you can file a
petition 6/3 months in advance, but can start work only from Oct 1).
Even if it were available, a person on Visa Waiver has to go back to
his/her own country to get the relevant visa stamped on the passport
before entering the US on that visa.