Help - waiting and miserable

Old Jan 3rd 2004, 6:21 am
BE Forum Addict

lpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help - waiting and miserable

CV= curriculum vitae=resume

IN the states teachers like to use this term...don't ask me why.

Originally posted by Andrew Defaria
sibsie wrote:

> Any house renovations that need doing? How about reading up on
    > American history or local history? Or you could fine tune your CV into
    > the American Resume. Note... American Resumes put our English
    > CV's to shame. It's a competitive market out there.

Side question(s): What exactly is a CV? What does CV stand for? How is
it different than just a resume?

--
Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.
Old Jan 3rd 2004, 9:55 am
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by lpdiver
CV= curriculum vitae=resume

IN the states teachers like to use this term...don't ask me why.
I think orignally a CV was used by the scientific occupations. I've never heard "resume" being used in the UK. Maybe it's a more recent thing.

The American resumes/CV's I've seen have knocked the socks off anything I've seen in the UK.

Does anyone know the definative answer on doing voluntary work without the EAD?
Old Jan 3rd 2004, 10:22 am
Ray Quayle

Curriculum Vitae

"Andrew DeFaria" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
What does CV stand for?

Old Jan 3rd 2004, 12:33 pm
Forum Regular

rzack is an unknown quantity at this point

You still have less than 30 days to get your EAD. 30 days is the time where you can start buid your resume or CV. Get addresses of potential employers. Registered your name in the internet job search (coz' trust me, it took me about 2 months before I got my EAD to do that) and the result was great!!!! Just after 1 week I got my EAD and 3 days got my SS# I got a job. But let me tell you too that its not easy, I faxed, I mailed, I emailed more than 100 applications 3 weeks before I get my EAD and I know the employers need the time to read and make decision to call me for interview. Furthermore if more than 90 days, you just can walk in to you local USCIS and get the EAD on the same day.

I still remember that I sit infront of the computer and fax machine about 6 hours a day to email and fax my resume for almost 3 weeks.

What other posters said about volunteer jobs also good to gain your experience and expose yourself on how the American working culture is. There are lots in the internet of how you can involved in the volunteer organizations.

Do not listen to NEGATIVE input if you know that you're right. What I meant was the bad things that your mother in law said. Just ignore it and keep trying. Do not just sit and waiting for your EAD. I also agree that you can contribute to your family by helping your wife with the house chores. She will really appreciate it specially when she have to work 2 jobs to support both of you.

Once again, don't give up.....you almost there and good luck!
Old Jan 3rd 2004, 2:18 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

It most definitely a self-confidence basher not to be able to work and even more so to be able to work and not find employment in your field. As for your in-laws, unless your wife is in agreement with them, stay away from the ignorant naysayers. Most Americans have no concept of what is involved in the immigration process and don't know what they are talking about. If your wife agrees with them, then it is time to fix what appears to be broken in your marriage.

Seeking aid from your wife's congressional representative is pointless at this time. You filed for an EAD at the time you filed for AOS. If you were smart you used the services of the LACBA which has offices in the LA USCIS District Office Building for walk-in service to filers for a very reasonable fee. Their assistance in completing and filing the forms for you has proven to be beneficial to those that have used their services. It would appear that those people received their EAD's sooner than those that filed on their own. If you filed yourself, there is nothing you can do until day 91 after receipt of your AOS/EAD package at the district office. At that point you can take your receipt and/or your cancelled check and copies of your petitions and go there and "demand" the interim EAD. If you were a K-1 recipient, I do hope you have applied for your social security card so that you don't have an additional wait once you have your EAD.

As for driving, I'm assuming you don't have a license and/or don't have a second car available and that your wife takes it to work with her. Take a leaf from Mr. Udall's page and walk.

Good luck

Rete
Old Jan 3rd 2004, 4:12 pm
Andrew Defaria

lpdiver wrote:

> CV= curriculum vitae=resume
    > IN the states teachers like to use this term...don't ask me why.

Could it be because: curriculum means "All the courses of study offered
by an educational institution."?

Vitae means "A short account of a person's life".

Interesting. Seems that a a CV is only supposed to be a short account
of, apparently, a person's educational life whereas resume means "A
brief account of one's professional or work experience and
qualifications, often submitted with an employment application" No
wonder the statement was made that American style resumes are superior
to CVs given the obvious difference in definitions. My only wonder is
why other countries don't switch to using/calling them resumes?

--
Dumb Question Department: Been swimming. Smart Answer: No, I was out
walking my pet fish!

Old Jan 3rd 2004, 4:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

lpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Andrew Defaria
lpdiver wrote:

> CV= curriculum vitae=resume
    > IN the states teachers like to use this term...don't ask me why.

Could it be because: curriculum means "All the courses of study offered
by an educational institution."?

Vitae means "A short account of a person's life".
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

COULD BE!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Interesting. Seems that a a CV is only supposed to be a short account
of, apparently, a person's educational life whereas resume means "A
brief account of one's professional or work experience and
qualifications, often submitted with an employment application" No
wonder the statement was made that American style resumes are superior
to CVs given the obvious difference in definitions. My only wonder is
why other countries don't switch to using/calling them resumes?

--
Dumb Question Department: Been swimming. Smart Answer: No, I was out
walking my pet fish!
Old Jan 3rd 2004, 4:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Buendia is a jewel in the roughBuendia is a jewel in the roughBuendia is a jewel in the roughBuendia is a jewel in the rough

Hi Dant3,

I'm in a similar position - am here in Ireland with my husband while I wait for him to get his K3. I have my own business in the US, and am used to working like a maniac and overseeing lots of people. I am usually very busy, and was beginning to go a little stir crazy. Plus we don't have a car here (so we're basically stuck in a four mile radius around our house).

I know it's a lot harder to be without a driver's license in LA (I went to grad school there). Not sure where you are, but I was a big fan of the Santa Monica bus system (I lived on the west side...) I went everywhere on it, even though I had a car, to avoid having to pay the exorbitant parking fees!

Here's what I've been doing here (which certainly repeats some of what everyone else has been saying):
- wrote a book (still need to do edits) that will be published in the fall - never had time for it before
- teaching for free at a local gym (in exchange for being able to use the gym) - btw, it's a 40 min walk to the gym, which is my unwinding time and I've made lots of friends there
- doing all the stuff I need to do for work when I get back to the US
- doing some projects (some could be potentially money-making in the future, othes are just to learn something new) which I haven't had time for while working so intensively the past fifteen years
- getting immigration paperwork ready and logging on this website!

I try to go out for a walk (even just to our local store which is a 6 min. walk away) at least once a day. I say hi to all the old men and women in our neighborhood.

I've set up weekly rituals - a meal in town once a week, groceries on Monday, wake up at the same time every day, break for lunch at the same time - to try to establish a routine.

I just wanted to you know, I understand your frustration. Good luck and hoping you get your EAD and SS soon!
Old Jan 3rd 2004, 5:16 pm
Hector

"Victor" <[email protected]> wrote in

> "If employees are authorized to work, but are unable to present the
required
    > document(s) within three business days,

If he hasn't received an EAD, then he isn't authorized to work!
Correct me if I'm wrong, but merely mailing the EAD application form along
with AOS does not constitute full work authorization, even if they have
cashed your check?

If that's the case I'll be working tomorrow as I already have a SSN from a
previous visa!

Old Jan 3rd 2004, 8:10 pm
Victor

"Hector" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > "Victor" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > > "If employees are authorized to work, but are unable to present the
    > required
    > > document(s) within three business days,
    > If he hasn't received an EAD, then he isn't authorized to work!
    > Correct me if I'm wrong, but merely mailing the EAD application form along
    > with AOS does not constitute full work authorization, even if they have
    > cashed your check?
    > If that's the case I'll be working tomorrow as I already have a SSN from a
    > previous visa!

Old Jan 3rd 2004, 8:18 pm
Victor

Hector,

How many employers you have talked to?

Victor

"Hector" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > "Victor" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > > "If employees are authorized to work, but are unable to present the
    > required
    > > document(s) within three business days,
    > If he hasn't received an EAD, then he isn't authorized to work!
    > Correct me if I'm wrong, but merely mailing the EAD application form along
    > with AOS does not constitute full work authorization, even if they have
    > cashed your check?
    > If that's the case I'll be working tomorrow as I already have a SSN from a
    > previous visa!

Old Jan 3rd 2004, 8:43 pm
Hcj

sibsie wrote:
    > Does anyone know the definative answer on doing voluntary work
    > without the EAD?

You can do volunteer work if it's real volunteer work, but not if
you're "volunteering" as in working for free for corporation X. So
charitable work like serving soup at the homeless shelter, teaching
people to read, working with teenage runaways... that's OK.

The best barometer is whether the other volunteers are also unpaid. I
think we all know the difference between real volunteer work and
"volunteering" to get around the system, to work when you're not
authorized to work.

Old Jan 3rd 2004, 9:33 pm
Go RedSox!

MrsLondon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Buendia
Hi Dant3,

I'm in a similar position - am here in Ireland with my husband while I wait for him to get his K3. I have my own business in the US, and am used to working like a maniac and overseeing lots of people. I am usually very busy, and was beginning to go a little stir crazy. Plus we don't have a car here (so we're basically stuck in a four mile radius around our house).

I know it's a lot harder to be without a driver's license in LA (I went to grad school there). Not sure where you are, but I was a big fan of the Santa Monica bus system (I lived on the west side...) I went everywhere on it, even though I had a car, to avoid having to pay the exorbitant parking fees!

Here's what I've been doing here (which certainly repeats some of what everyone else has been saying):
- wrote a book (still need to do edits) that will be published in the fall - never had time for it before
- teaching for free at a local gym (in exchange for being able to use the gym) - btw, it's a 40 min walk to the gym, which is my unwinding time and I've made lots of friends there
- doing all the stuff I need to do for work when I get back to the US
- doing some projects (some could be potentially money-making in the future, othes are just to learn something new) which I haven't had time for while working so intensively the past fifteen years
- getting immigration paperwork ready and logging on this website!

I try to go out for a walk (even just to our local store which is a 6 min. walk away) at least once a day. I say hi to all the old men and women in our neighborhood.

I've set up weekly rituals - a meal in town once a week, groceries on Monday, wake up at the same time every day, break for lunch at the same time - to try to establish a routine.

I just wanted to you know, I understand your frustration. Good luck and hoping you get your EAD and SS soon!

Hi, just wondering. Can't you do DCF if you are in Ireland with your husband?
Old Jan 3rd 2004, 9:37 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Hcj
You can do volunteer work if it's real volunteer work, but not if
you're "volunteering" as in working for free for corporation X. So
charitable work like serving soup at the homeless shelter, teaching
people to read, working with teenage runaways... that's OK.

The best barometer is whether the other volunteers are also unpaid. I
think we all know the difference between real volunteer work and
"volunteering" to get around the system, to work when you're not
authorized to work.
That's excellent. Thanks Hcj. I'd been trying everywhere to find that info. I think a lot of people are under the impression that you can pitch up and work for free to get a foot in the door before you get EAD.

I'd wanted to do charity work and was worried I wouldn't be able to.
Old Jan 3rd 2004, 11:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Specifically what I had in mind when I suggested volunteering way back in the thread was teaching english as a second language. The Catholic church and the university do so here. you meet some of the neatest people and many who are much worse off than any of us here,probably. There are other volunteering opportunities however.

Originally posted by sibsie
That's excellent. Thanks Hcj. I'd been trying everywhere to find that info. I think a lot of people are under the impression that you can pitch up and work for free to get a foot in the door before you get EAD.

I'd wanted to do charity work and was worried I wouldn't be able to.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.