Help - waiting and miserable

Old Jan 2nd 2004, 5:55 pm
Forum Regular

Dant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud of
Default Help - waiting and miserable

So I've been in LA for over three months now and I'm just a few short steps away from insanity. I have no driving license, no access to a car anyway, no means of escaping the house and nowhere to go if I had. My wife is working 2 jobs to support me and her family are complaining on a daily basis about my laziness, calling me a liar whenever I lay any blame at the door of Immigration.
The local INS office has sent no receipt for my EAD application, tells me there is no way of tracking it's progress and to just wait. They've even said that there's no guarantee that I'll be able to get an interim EAD after 90 days (it was filed first week of November) and that the current processing time is 102 days. To cap it all, somebody left a cryptic message on my wife's office answering machine saying that everything was being held up by my not having submitted fingerprimts at the local office (nobody asked!).
As somebody who has spent my whole adult life working and actively supporting myself, it's killing me. I don't know which is worse, the fact that I can't work, or that everyone around me presumes that I don't want to. And with every office I call telling me there's nothing they can do to help, I don't know how much longer it's going to last.

Any advice from those who've survived the boredom of house arrest or inlaws from hell would be much appreciated. Also, what's the deal with the fingerprinting? Should I wait for a written request or just go get in line with everyone else at the downtown office?

Cheers... sorry for the rant

James
Old Jan 2nd 2004, 6:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

lpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help - waiting and miserable

You aren't confined to your house. You simply cannot work. Use this time to your advantage. Attend classes in something. Learn to cook, drive, or clean the house. Exercise, lose weight, coupon, take a tremendous load off of your spouse. Have the house spotless, have the groceries bought, meals cooked, laundry and dishes done. buy a bicycle, volunteer (might help you get a job when it's legal). I could probably list a thousand usefull things for you to do that would contribute to your marriage, society, and well being.

Originally posted by Dant3
So I've been in LA for over three months now and I'm just a few short steps away from insanity. I have no driving license, no access to a car anyway, no means of escaping the house and nowhere to go if I had. My wife is working 2 jobs to support me and her family are complaining on a daily basis about my laziness, calling me a liar whenever I lay any blame at the door of Immigration.
The local INS office has sent no receipt for my EAD application, tells me there is no way of tracking it's progress and to just wait. They've even said that there's no guarantee that I'll be able to get an interim EAD after 90 days (it was filed first week of November) and that the current processing time is 102 days. To cap it all, somebody left a cryptic message on my wife's office answering machine saying that everything was being held up by my not having submitted fingerprimts at the local office (nobody asked!).
As somebody who has spent my whole adult life working and actively supporting myself, it's killing me. I don't know which is worse, the fact that I can't work, or that everyone around me presumes that I don't want to. And with every office I call telling me there's nothing they can do to help, I don't know how much longer it's going to last.

Any advice from those who've survived the boredom of house arrest or inlaws from hell would be much appreciated. Also, what's the deal with the fingerprinting? Should I wait for a written request or just go get in line with everyone else at the downtown office?

Cheers... sorry for the rant

James
Old Jan 2nd 2004, 6:33 pm
won't be long now!

SidAngelika is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by lpdiver
You aren't confined to your house. You simply cannot work. Use this time to your advantage. Attend classes in something. Learn to cook, drive, or clean the house. Exercise, lose weight, coupon, take a tremendous load off of your spouse. Have the house spotless, have the groceries bought, meals cooked, laundry and dishes done. buy a bicycle, volunteer (might help you get a job when it's legal). I could probably list a thousand usefull things for you to do that would contribute to your marriage, society, and well being.
I especially like the mentioning of the bicycle in the previous post.
If you are from Europe you most likely are used to make your way around town even though you don't have a car. I know the lack of public transportation sucks, but get on that bike, ride to near by grocery stores or just work out on it.
It will get you over the waiting period to drive your own car.
Remember, it's all temporary......
Good luck.....wish I already could be at your stage of process.....lol
Old Jan 2nd 2004, 6:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

MarDae will become famous soon enough

My wife is working 2 jobs to support me and her family are complaining on a daily basis about my laziness, calling me a liar whenever I lay any blame at the door of Immigration.

If your wife doesn't believe you maybe you should have her post a question on this site. I'm sure she'd get plenty of anecdotal evidence from people who are experiencing or have experienced similar situations. Hopefully you'll be able to get an interim EAD. Ask your wife to make a call to your local state rep on your behalf, couldn't hurt. At least then she'll know that your willing to do anything you can to get the ball rolling. It's pretty easy to get the contact info for reps on the web. Some even let you e-mail them.

You're not alone in your waiting. I hope everything works out for you and your wife. I know what it's like to not have a car. My fiance will be lucky because we only live about a 15min walk from the grocery store. Where I lived before with my parents if you didn't have a car you were pretty much SOL unless you wanted to devote the next few hours to going for a stroll to get somewhere. There were a few things around but none conveniently close...some of my friends are a good two plus miles away from anything so I understand your frustration. At least you know that this too will pass, probably just not as quickly as you'd like.

Best of Luck!
MarDae
Old Jan 2nd 2004, 10:38 pm
Forum Regular

trasmus will become famous soon enoughtrasmus will become famous soon enough

Sorry you are having such a difficult time adjusting, but while my husband was in the "waiting" phase, he took the opportunity to learn the local bus system and get out of the house. He didn't always have a place to go but he'd go to the main library downtown and check out books to read, he also signed up for some computer courses. He found ways to keep himself busy. Now he knows how to get around Dallas almost better than I do and he definitely knows the bus system better than I. Volunteering is also an option, just to give you something to do and get you out of the house for a while. Hopefully, you won't have to wait much longer and things will come through for you, Good Luck this New Year!
Old Jan 2nd 2004, 10:52 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

I feel your pain. I moved to Spain 18 months ago thinking I would enjoy not working and I ended up being bored out of my mind. Not being fluent in Spain it's impossible to get a job. In fact in my area for the most basic jobs in bars they want Spanish, English and another, ideally German or Swedish. Hell I could work at the UN for what they want here for a €4 an hour job.

I've found it hard to fill my time, going from an incredibly hectic, pressured job into nothingness. I took up exercise in a big way which was great til I slipped a disc! My only suggestions are those that have already been covered.

I know you don't have access to a car but is there any reason why you can't at least apply for your driving licence, so that when the situ changes you'll be ready to go?

About voluntary work. I'm sure I'm wrong, or at least I hope I'm wrong but I did read that you're not even allowed to do that while you're awaiting EAD. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong as that's something I very much want to do.

Are there any other expats in the area you could get in touch with?

Any house renovations that need doing? How about reading up on American history or local history? Or you could fine tune your CV into the American Resume. Note... American Resumes put our English CV's to shame. It's a competitive market out there. Though you don't actually have your EAD you could always start compiling lists of potential employers and maybe even send off your resume to see what sort of feedback you get. I've already contacted a few people in my industry who want to see me when I finally get there and I'm literally months off.

Don't let yourself get stuck in the rut. I've done it myself and know how tough it is.

And remember that you're married to your wife and not her parents. Maybe have a chat with her and or them about that.
Old Jan 2nd 2004, 11:03 pm
Forum Regular

Dad of 3 is an unknown quantity at this point

James
James:

Actually my wife and I have thought of what she will do during the time that she has between application for EAD and getting a job.

My wife has decided to spend some extra time in our children's school and she will also be working as a "volunteer" somewhere so that when her authorization does come through, she will have her foot in the door somewhere.

A little O/T, but when I first started out in my profession, I had two separate periods of prolonged unemployment. I know it is very hard to be used to working all your life and then despite wanting to work, earn a salary and hold your own....you just cant. I am also sure that the comments from others just make it all the worse.

I hope it comes through quickly.
Dad of 3
Old Jan 2nd 2004, 11:52 pm
Victor

Go ahead and talk to employers. Bring your marriage certificate and proof
that your wife is USC.
Have an Immigration Lawyer ready to answer the call from employer. You have
the right to work in US.
Just try and you'll be working in no time.
Your wait is over.
Good luck.

"MarDae" <member15547@british_expats.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > My wife is working 2 jobs to support me and her family are complaining
    > on a daily basis about my laziness, calling me a liar whenever I lay any
    > blame at the door of Immigration.
    > If your wife doesn't believe you maybe you should have her post a
    > question on this site. I'm sure she'd get plenty of anecdotal evidence
    > from people who are experiencing or have experienced similar situations.
    > Hopefully you'll be able to get an interim EAD. Ask your wife to make a
    > call to your local state rep on your behalf, couldn't hurt. At least
    > then she'll know that your willing to do anything you can to get the
    > ball rolling. It's pretty easy to get the contact info for reps on the
    > web. Some even let you e-mail them.
    > You're not alone in your waiting. I hope everything works out for you
    > and your wife. I know what it's like to not have a car. My fiance will
    > be lucky because we only live about a 15min walk from the grocery store.
    > Where I lived before with my parents if you didn't have a car you were
    > pretty much SOL unless you wanted to devote the next few hours to going
    > for a stroll to get somewhere. There were a few things around but none
    > conveniently close...some of my friends are a good two plus miles away
    > from anything so I understand your frustration. At least you know that
    > this too will pass, probably just not as quickly as you'd like.
    > Best of Luck!
    > MarDae
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Jan 2nd 2004, 11:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

lpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond repute

Highly illegal.

Originally posted by elviswasmydad
If you will go look, there are jobs that don't involve anything illegal and pay cash with no questions asked. There is a huge amount of labor and money that exchanges hands in the USA for "under the table work"

Go to the Day Labor businesses in your areas. Ask the men standing around whats up.

Dont be afraid to tell business owners the spot you are in. Can you wash dishes and bus tables for a couple of weeks for cash? You donate your labor and the can make a "donation" to you.

You can unload/load trucks, clean buildings, mow lawns.

You can paint rooms, or a whole house. You can pass out flyers for a business that wants to advertize.

you can stand outside a business with a big sign and wave at traffic for cash money.

Go check out cash for labor It goes on everyday.

There are many people for whatever reason do part time or temporary work for cash and no paper trail.
Old Jan 3rd 2004, 12:00 am
Danny Davis

My wife's interview came about 3 months after her fingerprint notice. That
was about 6 months after we filed the AOS paperwork.

That is our experience. From that I would say it will come sooner rather
than later.

Good Luck
Dan Davis

"Dant3" <member19432@british_expats.com> wrote in message
"...To cap it all, somebody left a
    > cryptic message on my wife's office answering machine saying that
    > everything was being held up by my not having submitted fingerprimts at
    > the local office (nobody asked!).

Old Jan 3rd 2004, 12:17 am
Mrraveltay

Victor wrote:
    > Go ahead and talk to employers. Bring your marriage certificate and proof
    > that your wife is USC.
    > Have an Immigration Lawyer ready to answer the call from employer. You have
    > the right to work in US.
    > Just try and you'll be working in no time.
    > Your wait is over.
    > Good luck.
    >

What are you talking about? Until he gets the EAD he is NOT permitted to
work. It's the law. The employer should know this and will not care what
his immigration lawyer says. When he is hired, he will have to file an
I-9 with his employer. Without an EAD, he will not be able to file it
and will not be permitted to work.

Old Jan 3rd 2004, 1:24 am
Victor

I-9

Section 2 - Employer.

"If employees are authorized to work, but are unable to present the required
document(s) within three business days, they must present a receipt for the
application of the document(s) within three business days and the actual
document(s) within ninety (90)
days."

As he doesn't have a receipt from USCIS yet, he can use mail receipt (
assuming he's got one) and a copy of I-765.
If employer need help, they will figure something out.
It's all absolutely legal because he is authorized to work, just don't have
a document yet.
I-9 instruction even anticipate such a case by giving (90) days to present
actual document.

I'm not saying that every employer will go for it, but trying is much better
then staying home and doing nothing.

Victor

"mrraveltay" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Victor wrote:
    > > Go ahead and talk to employers. Bring your marriage certificate and
proof
    > > that your wife is USC.
    > > Have an Immigration Lawyer ready to answer the call from employer. You
have
    > > the right to work in US.
    > > Just try and you'll be working in no time.
    > > Your wait is over.
    > > Good luck.
    > >
    > What are you talking about? Until he gets the EAD he is NOT permitted to
    > work. It's the law. The employer should know this and will not care what
    > his immigration lawyer says. When he is hired, he will have to file an
    > I-9 with his employer. Without an EAD, he will not be able to file it
    > and will not be permitted to work.

Old Jan 3rd 2004, 3:34 am
Andrew Defaria

sibsie wrote:

> Any house renovations that need doing? How about reading up on
    > American history or local history? Or you could fine tune your CV into
    > the American Resume. Note... American Resumes put our English
    > CV's to shame. It's a competitive market out there.

Side question(s): What exactly is a CV? What does CV stand for? How is
it different than just a resume?

--
Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Old Jan 3rd 2004, 3:58 am
Professional Mover

Location: Derry, NH Via Salem, NH via Ma, NC, ex Manchester, UK.
RoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by Andrew Defaria
sibsie wrote:

> Any house renovations that need doing? How about reading up on
    > American history or local history? Or you could fine tune your CV into
    > the American Resume. Note... American Resumes put our English
    > CV's to shame. It's a competitive market out there.

Side question(s): What exactly is a CV? What does CV stand for? How is
it different than just a resume?

--
Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.
A CV is similar to a resume except it usually contains more detail. A resume , apparently ideally should be a single page whereas a CV can be 2-3 pages and includes more detail of work history and additional personal details.l
Old Jan 3rd 2004, 6:18 am
BE Enthusiast

supernav will become famous soon enoughsupernav will become famous soon enough

if you have nothing to do -- you should be down at the district office every morning finding out what's going on. That's wher eyour file is.

If u can afford it -- get a lawyer.

Plus your'e in la. It's a huge city. Explore. Visit. Tour. enjoy yor time off and spend time with your new wife and make the best out of it. Get ready for the job world once your receipt or ead comes in (u can still work once you have receipt of applying, as long as u get something in 90 days).

-= nav =-

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.