Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Help. Vwp not registered when I entered USA

Help. Vwp not registered when I entered USA

Old Feb 11th 2011, 10:12 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help. Vwp not registered when I entered USA

Originally Posted by meauxna
IMO you are confusing the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) with ESTA.
You need an approved ESTA to use the VWP. There is nothing in that email to suggest that your VWP entry was not 'logged'.

Again: DO NOT overstay. You were admitted for 90 days.

I agree that this person is horribly confused about the VWP and the ESTA. Just because it was approved does not mean you have a visa nor does it have an expiration that expires if you don't use it. It is a limited time period regardless of when or if you use it. You can apply for it January 2011 and not use it until February 2012 if your ESTA is for a period of two years.

When you enter the US after getting an ESTA and the agent at the POE allowing you to enter the US, I don't believe the information is logged into the ESTA system unless the scan of your passport automatically does that.

Last edited by Rete; Feb 11th 2011 at 11:03 am. Reason: took out inane sentence
Old Feb 11th 2011, 11:25 am
Just Joined

Adah is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Help. Vwp not registered when I entered USA

Thank you all for the clarification and advice.
Old Feb 12th 2011, 5:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help. Vwp not registered when I entered USA

Are you sure you didn't apply for an ESTA approximately two years ago, and another (new) one in December, just before this visit?

The reminder to get a new ESTA seems to be an automated one working off the information given on the application (my mum recently got one for hers) so it's most likely they just don't check to see if you have already reapplied. The email could be regarding an old application and not this new one.