Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Help!! U.K. Citizen, boyfriend American, pregnant, wanting to have baby in US

Help!! U.K. Citizen, boyfriend American, pregnant, wanting to have baby in US

Old Jun 7th 2017, 11:41 pm
Just Joined

dem0210 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Help!! U.K. Citizen, boyfriend American, pregnant, wanting to have baby in US

I may be wrong, but I don't think the OP has said that she's intending to enter the US with the intention of adjusting status? She has merely said that she wants to be there for the birth - she hasn't mentioned staying permanently? She asked does she have to be married to get health insurance - I don't think she said she wants to or plans to get married? Surely, in that case, technically she could travel over on her existing visa (or under the ESTA visa waiver) as long as she didn't stay any longer than it permits, have the baby, and return to the UK? My interpretation was that she wants to have the baby in the US because she will have the support of her boyfriend and his family who were very keen to help?
Old Jun 7th 2017, 11:49 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help!! U.K. Citizen, boyfriend American, pregnant, wanting to have baby in US

And no health insurance.... start off by incurring $20k in debt

Last edited by civilservant; Jun 7th 2017 at 11:52 pm.
Old Jun 7th 2017, 11:49 pm
Just Joined

As the daughter of a midwife, I can also say that the NHS recommendations are that not harmful to mother or baby (unless there are complications in the pregnancy). Up to 28 weeks you can fly without even informing the airline. After this, the airline may ask for a doctors letter to say you are fit to fly. The only time its not really recommended is from 37 weeks onwards (earlier of you're expecting twins). I flew long haul during all of my pregnancies with no problems. There is THE COST of the birth to consider though. Without health insurance I definitely wouldn't recommend it.
Old Jun 7th 2017, 11:51 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dem0210
As the daughter of a midwife, I can also say that the NHS recommendations are that not harmful to mother or baby (unless there are complications in the pregnancy). Up to 28 weeks you can fly without even informing the airline. After this, the airline may ask for a doctors letter to say you are fit to fly. The only time its not really recommended is from 37 weeks onwards (earlier of you're expecting twins). I flew long haul during all of my pregnancies with no problems. There is THE COST of the birth to consider though. Without health insurance I definitely wouldn't recommend it.
And you don't think the CBP Office might ask when she's due - and then ask who she's visiting - and then bounce her back to the UK?

Because I do!
Old Jun 7th 2017, 11:54 pm
Just Joined

One of my friends gave birth in the US and was covered by her travel insurance.
The baby was early of course ...

Another friend was working there when her baby arrived early, she was covered under her health insurance through her employer?

Its hard to know when we're missing some important details.

Maybe the OP's boyfriend and/or parents are completely rolling in it ;0)
Old Jun 7th 2017, 11:57 pm
Just Joined

That friend I mentioned earlier (the travel insurance one) was visiting her (then) boyfriend (now husband) in the US when she was 7 months pregnant and somehow managed it.
Don't know if it makes a difference, but it was almost 10 years ago?
Old Jun 8th 2017, 12:00 am
Often not so civil...

Well the reality is she might be allowed entry.... or she might not. However if she is refused entry then she is not going to be seeing the baby's father in the US before she gets a visa. Depends on how much risk one is prepared to accept.
Old Jun 8th 2017, 12:02 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by civilservant
Well the reality is she might be allowed entry.... or she might not. However if she is refused entry then she is not going to be seeing the baby's father in the US before she gets a visa. Depends on how much risk one is prepared to accept.
True.
Old Jun 8th 2017, 12:39 am
BE Enthusiast

DebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond repute

No need to worry about cost of delivery. Just show up, deliver and request Emergency Medicaid. The hospital will be glad to comply. When I was a women's health director Emergency Medicaid was used this all the time (daily sometimes) for undocumented immigrants with an emergency healthcare diagnosis (Labor and Delivery). Labor and delivery is considered an emergency under the EMTALA Federal statute. The hospital has an obligation to stabilize what may be an emergency medical condition. The law states the only way to stabilize a laboring women is delivery. After delivery, the dad can sign an affidavit of paternity, and then be placed on the birth certificate as the father. Over the years I have seen this scenario hundreds of times.
Old Jun 8th 2017, 12:45 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DebzinUS
No need to worry about cost of delivery. Just show up, deliver and request Emergency Medicaid. The hospital will be glad to comply. When I was a women's health director Emergency Medicaid was used this all the time (daily sometimes) for undocumented immigrants with an emergency healthcare diagnosis (Labor and Delivery). Labor and delivery is considered an emergency under the EMTALA Federal statute. The hospital has an obligation to stabilize what may be an emergency medical condition. The law states the only way to stabilize a laboring women is delivery. After delivery, the dad can sign an affidavit of paternity, and then be placed on the birth certificate as the father. Over the years I have seen this scenario hundreds of times.
I wouldnt want to be in hospital by choice under those circumstances. Fine if no alternatives, but I would not want to be so easily kicked out of hospital.
Old Jun 8th 2017, 12:48 am
BE Enthusiast

DebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
I wouldnt want to be in hospital by choice under those circumstances. Fine if no alternatives, but I would not want to be so easily kicked out of hospital.
We cant kick anyone out. It's against the law. These patients get the same care as any other patient admitted to any of units I managed. Its just not that well known.
Old Jun 8th 2017, 1:06 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

The hospital will be glad to comply.
While the hospital will comply with the law - I doubt they do it gladly! They'd much rather get reimbursed for their costs rather than claim it as a charitable donation on their taxes!

Ian
Old Jun 8th 2017, 1:13 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

We cant kick anyone out. It's against the law. These patients get the same care as any other patient admitted to any of units I managed. Its just not that well known.
Same care like for like, but it is my understanding that the cost structures for Medicaid make for interesting decisions at times. Costs being fixed and refusal to pay for readmittance within specific timelines being outlined in a very different way to regular insurance. My concern would be for less serious complications that may facilitate discharge but preclude readmittance.
Old Jun 8th 2017, 1:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
While the hospital will comply with the law - I doubt they do it gladly! They'd much rather get reimbursed for their costs rather than claim it as a charitable donation on their taxes!

Ian
Sorry getting off post here..but yes, Generally a patient who is admitted without any insurance is classed as self pay. The problem is that self pay is also known as "no pay" One of my jobs was to check each patients insurance status each morning and make sure that any self pay patients were referred for emergency medicaid. Any reimbursement from any source is better than having to write off the entire bill as indigent care.
Old Jun 8th 2017, 1:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Same care like for like, but it is my understanding that the cost structures for Medicaid make for interesting decisions at times. Costs being fixed and refusal to pay for readmittance within specific timelines being outlined in a very different way to regular insurance. My concern would be for less serious complications that may facilitate discharge but preclude readmittance.
Medicaid pays poorly. However, I can honestly say in 30 odd years in the US baby business I have never seen the concerns you describe. I cant say it wouldn't or hasn't happened, I just haven't had that experience.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.