Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Help with Returning Resident Visa (SB-1)

Help with Returning Resident Visa (SB-1)

Old Nov 1st 2016, 2:59 pm
Just Joined

soysale is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help with Returning Resident Visa (SB-1)

Hello,

I got my greencard in November 2009 and had lived in USA since then to June 2011. I went back to my country, Turkey, in June 2011. After 10 months, April 2012, I visited USA for a week to keep my greencard. But after that I could not go there again. Finally I pulled myself together and flight to LAX last week. CBP officer asked me how long I stayed abroad, I told the truth which is 4.5 years. Then they gave me two option. First; abandoning the greencard right there immediately, Second; refering to immigration judge. But for the second option they told me I had to stay in the US till the hearings occur, otherwise I would be deported. Then I choose the first option. I abandoned my greencard right there. They gave me a waiver to stay inside. They told me I could apply for the returning resident visa once I am ready to go back to the US for good.
My question;
1- Is it possible to get the SB-1 visa for my case?
2- Am I going to try to convince consulate that I did not abandon my residency intentionally in 10-20 mins?
3- Even if I get the SB-1 visa, does SB-1 visa give me the right to work in the US?
4- Does SB-1 visa give me the chance to get citizenship after 5 years?
Old Nov 1st 2016, 3:05 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Help with Returning Resident Visa (SB-1)

1. No

2. How?

3. Yes

4. Yes
Old Nov 1st 2016, 3:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute

If you've signed the form to abandon your permanent residence status then I don't see how you could possibly qualify for an SB-1 visa?

Realistically you've not lived in the USA since 2011, you can't just pop in for a week to keep your green card alive.
Old Nov 1st 2016, 3:24 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Did you sign any forms in order to give up your green card? Or did you just hand it over to them without signing anything?

I think you would have a hard time getting a returning resident visa now, since you voluntarily gave up your resident status, on top of having lived outside the USA for about 7 years!

How did you obtain the green card, and is that path open to you again?

Rene
Old Nov 1st 2016, 4:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute

Just noticed your previous thread - http://britishexpats.com/forum/us-im...encard-842210/

Hmm...
Old Nov 1st 2016, 5:30 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by soysale
But for the second option they told me I had to stay in the US till the hearings occur, otherwise I would be deported
How does that work?
Old Nov 1st 2016, 5:45 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Wintersong
How does that work?
You end up in front of an IJ and they decide.
Old Nov 1st 2016, 5:48 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wintersong
How does that work?
I was wondering the same. How can they deport someone who isn't in the country?
Old Nov 1st 2016, 5:51 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by celticgrid
I was wondering the same. How can they deport someone who isn't in the country?
If he had been allowed into them country holding his GC, then he either (i) would be required to appear in court, or (ii) (if he hadn't shown up in court), he would be subject to deportation.
Old Nov 1st 2016, 10:41 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

They told me I could apply for the returning resident visa once I am ready to go back to the US for good.
Umm... they lied to you! You have abandoned your status; you are no longer eligible for a returning resident visa.

1- Is it possible to get the SB-1 visa for my case?
2- Am I going to try to convince consulate that I did not abandon my residency intentionally in 10-20 mins?
3- Even if I get the SB-1 visa, does SB-1 visa give me the right to work in the US?
4- Does SB-1 visa give me the chance to get citizenship after 5 years?
1: No.
2: No. You chose to abandon your status. That was your choice. It was a stupid choice.
3: Yes, but since you can't get an SB-1 visa, it doesn't matter.
4: Yes, but since you can't get an SB-1 visa, it doesn't matter.

Ian
Old Nov 2nd 2016, 7:55 am
Just Joined

Thank you all for your replies.
I was not aware of any returning resident visa till the CBP officer told me.
I had to make sure if I can resume my residency in the US before I turn my life here upside down. So I went there for a week. That's why second option was not an option for me. I did what I can possibly do in that situation.
Old Nov 2nd 2016, 2:08 pm
Account Closed

You can not suspend residency so you can not resume. Best bet is to reapply.
Old Nov 2nd 2016, 2:10 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all for your replies.
I was not aware of any returning resident visa till the CBP officer told me.
I had to make sure if I can resume my residency in the US before I turn my life here upside down. So I went there for a week. That's why second option was not an option for me. I did what I can possibly do in that situation.
How did you get your green card in the first place?
Old Nov 2nd 2016, 2:20 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
How did you get your green card in the first place?
By lottery.
Old Nov 2nd 2016, 2:23 pm

By lottery.
Oh dear.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.