HELP: question about drug use

Old Feb 21st 2001, 12:24 am
Kathy

Hello, Could anyone tell me what exactly a "drug-related offense" would include? If
someone is applying for adjustment of status, has used drugs in the past, but never sold
or had any trouble with the law-- Would it be incorrect to answer no to the question about
committing a drug-related offense? What are the consequences of answering yes or no to
this question? Thank you!

p.s. it is pretty ironic if using drugs disqualifies you from living in the US when it
doesn't disqualify you from becoming president!!

Old Feb 21st 2001, 1:04 am
Rete

If you have never been arrested for the possession or use of drugs, or been in a drug
related rehab program for which there is a record or which it is noted on your medical,
then answer no. Sometimes honesty is not the best policy.

Rita

> Hello, Could anyone tell me what exactly a "drug-related offense" would include? If
> someone is applying for adjustment of status, has used drugs in the
past,
> but never sold or had any trouble with the law-- Would it be incorrect to answer no to
> the question about committing a drug-related offense? What are the consequences of
> answering yes or no to this question? Thank you!
>
> p.s. it is pretty ironic if using drugs disqualifies you from living in
the
> US when it doesn't disqualify you from becoming president!!

Old Feb 21st 2001, 2:08 am
Onigiri

> Hello, Could anyone tell me what exactly a "drug-related offense" would include?
Exactly !! Read the instructions to the form I-485. It does not say that you are supposed
to know ALL answers when you answer these questions to the best of YOUR knowledge.

> If someone is applying for adjustment of status, has used drugs in the
past,
> but never sold or had any trouble with the law--
In all petitions and interviews answer the questions that are asked. Do not extrapolate,
imagine and then volunteer unnecessary information. When face to face, smile and be
friendly when you give prescise answers to the questions asked. I think you are thinking
of form I-485 question 3-1-a. Read the question carefully and answer.
> Would it be incorrect to answer no to the question about committing a drug-related
> offense?
The question is not about an offence for which the person was arrested. A "committed
offence" has a record in the courts of conviction and with the police for the arrest. You
are being asked to guess whether you could have been arrested for some behavior that you
may as well imagine to have happened in the past. If you had smoked cigarette during the
muslim sabbath or had "played with yourself" under the influence of alcohol -- these are
strong drug related offences in a certain country for which you could have been "arrested"
and punished with caning.

> What are the consequences of answering yes or no to this question?
You live with either.

> Thank you!

Old Feb 21st 2001, 2:23 am
Onigiri

> Hello,
> p.s. it is pretty ironic if using drugs disqualifies you from living in
the
> US when it doesn't disqualify you from becoming president!!
Do not spit on the MAN unnecessarily. Like it or not, we have those born unto the pursuit
of happiness. Those who want membership in this club have to answer some questions.
Several questions on I-485 are asked to see how feeble minded the new immigrants (and
their USC helpmates) are.

Old Feb 21st 2001, 2:40 am
Toni B

>Date: 2/20/01 9:04 PM Eastern Standard Time

>f you have never been arrested for the possession or use of drugs, or been in a drug
>related rehab program for which there is a record or which it is noted on your medical,
>then answer no. Sometimes honesty is not the best policy.
>
>Rita
>

I wonder if you might have a list of these times when honesty is not the best policy.
See, the way I see it, drug use is a criminal activity,(not to mention a character
issue) whether or not you get caught and, gee, wouldn't the alien chance being denied
entry to the US if he was honest? I mean, wouldn't that be like playing some kind of
game with the INS?

Old Feb 21st 2001, 6:51 am
Evan and Sheila

huh??

Plain and simple.. if he has been convicted.. yes.. if no convictions or arrests.. no.
Let's not get all crazy here.

Cheers, Evan

> >Date: 2/20/01 9:04 PM Eastern Standard Time
>
> >f you have never been arrested for the possession or use of drugs, or
been
> >in a drug related rehab program for which there is a record or which it
is
> >noted on your medical, then answer no. Sometimes honesty is not the best policy.
> >
> >Rita
> >
>
> I wonder if you might have a list of these times when honesty is not the
best
> policy. See, the way I see it, drug use is a criminal activity,(not to
mention
> a character issue) whether or not you get caught and, gee, wouldn't the
alien
> chance being denied entry to the US if he was honest? I mean, wouldn't
that be
> like playing some kind of game with the INS?

Old Feb 21st 2001, 12:01 pm
Andy Platt

Yeah - that polygamy question gets me every time

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

>

> > Hello,
> > p.s. it is pretty ironic if using drugs disqualifies you from living in
> the
> > US when it doesn't disqualify you from becoming president!!
> Do not spit on the MAN unnecessarily. Like it or not, we have those born unto the
> pursuit of happiness. Those who want membership in this club
have
> to answer some questions. Several questions on I-485 are asked to see how feeble minded
> the new immigrants (and their USC helpmates) are.
>

Old Feb 21st 2001, 12:22 pm
Chris Moorehead

in message

>> > Hello,
>> > p.s. it is pretty ironic if using drugs disqualifies you from living in
>> the
>> > US when it doesn't disqualify you from becoming president!!
>> Do not spit on the MAN unnecessarily. Like it or not, we have those born unto the
>> pursuit of happiness. Those who want membership in this club
>have
>> to answer some questions. Several questions on I-485 are asked to see how feeble minded
>> the new immigrants (and their USC helpmates) are.
>>
>>
>>
>
>

--
CHRISTOPHER J. MOOREHEAD Durham, NC [email protected]

"Many people would sooner die than think. In fact, they do."

-- Bertrand Russell

Old Feb 21st 2001, 4:03 pm
nospam

Some people never inhale. That's the point.

Rete wrote:

> If you have never been arrested for the possession or use of drugs, or been in a drug
> related rehab program for which there is a record or which it is noted on your medical,
> then answer no. Sometimes honesty is not the best policy.
>
> Rita
>

> > Hello, Could anyone tell me what exactly a "drug-related offense" would include? If
> > someone is applying for adjustment of status, has used drugs in the
> past,
> > but never sold or had any trouble with the law-- Would it be incorrect to answer no to
> > the question about committing a drug-related offense? What are the consequences of
> > answering yes or no to this question? Thank you!
> >
> > p.s. it is pretty ironic if using drugs disqualifies you from living in
> the
> > US when it doesn't disqualify you from becoming president!!
> >

Old Feb 21st 2001, 5:44 pm
Rita

I mean, wouldn't
> that be
> > like playing some kind of game with the INS?
>
>

No game here. No record, no knowledge, no problem. You ever take a prescription drug from
someone, such an antibotic, which was not given to you from a doctor? Well that is illegal
use of a drug. You going to go to England and confess to to useage? Do it I'm sure they
would love a good laugh.

As for examples, not stating that you and your USC have talked about getting married
when you are being examined at the POE. No telling INS that you once agrued the
benefits of communism in the social and economic scheme of things while you were a
sophomore in college.

You are equating this with you hubby's case. The differences are so big they are evident
for all to see. As for the game playing, let it go already. It was a descriptive phrase
which I felt and feel is appropo to your husband's misuse of the tourist visa. You don't
agree and that is your right.

Rita

----------
This message was composed at http://www.editnews.com

Old Feb 22nd 2001, 1:14 am
Betastar

>Yeah - that polygamy question gets me every time

Reinhard just complained and suspected that I was in collusion with the INS, making him
sign something saying he wouldn't take more than one wife.

=)

Betastar "home alone" - he's visiting his Mom =(

Old Feb 22nd 2001, 12:10 pm
mike muncy

I would keep my mouth shut about any drug use ! If it makes you feel better just think of
it as a question based on a misconception. If they were to ask if you had any drinking
offences along with drugs it would be more appropriate. But sense they except the use of
drugs in the form of beer, and wine - - - in my mind it is a hypocritical question, and
not worthy of the truth.

mike