Help! Pregnancy and Immigration

Old May 5th 2007, 8:29 pm
Just Joined

SRuiz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help! Pregnancy and Immigration

Hi,

I'm hoping someone might have had experience with this before and can reassure me (or confirm our fears :S)

I'm British, my fiancee is a USC. We had planned to get married this summer, with me returning to the UK after the wedding and then filing the necessary papers to allow me to legally move over to the states.

However, things have been slightly complicated by developments after a recent visit. My fiancee is now pregnant with my child. Obviously we are delighted with this news, despite not planning for it to happen just yet! The only problem is, will the usual waiting periods still apply for the immigration process? The idea of her being out there without me during the pregnancy is unthinkable and is really worrying us both.

Can anyone shed some light on the situation?

Many thanks,
Stefan
Old May 5th 2007, 8:38 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help! Pregnancy and Immigration

Of course ..there is no dispensation for your rumpy pumpy ...
She better get filing the necessary forms straight away ...
Old May 5th 2007, 10:32 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SRuiz
The only problem is, will the usual waiting periods still apply for the immigration process?
Yes... it will still take as long as it takes. Pregnancy will neither help nor hurt you. If you want to be in the US for the birth, I suggest a fiancee visa rather than a spousal visa... you'll still get married in the US but you won't have to leave the US once you get there!

Ian
Old May 5th 2007, 10:53 pm

On May 5, 4:29 pm, SRuiz <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm hoping someone might have had experience with this before and can
> reassure me (or confirm our fears :S)
>
> I'm British, my fiancee is a USC. We had planned to get married this
> summer, with me returning to the UK after the wedding and then filing
> the necessary papers to allow me to legally move over to the states.
>
> However, things have been slightly complicated by developments after a
> recent visit. My fiancee is now pregnant with my child. Obviously we are
> delighted with this news, despite not planning for it to happen just
> yet! The only problem is, will the usual waiting periods still apply for
> the immigration process? The idea of her being out there without me
> during the pregnancy is unthinkable and is really worrying us both.
>
> Can anyone shed some light on the situation?
>
> Many thanks,
> Stefan
>
> --
> Posted viahttp://britishexpats.com

Maybe she could sponsor you ASAP for the K-1.

Over the summer, you could do all the fancy stuff related with the
marriage, without getting legally married.

Once you have the K-1 is issued, you can come back to the US and go to
city hall to get legally married.

Old May 5th 2007, 10:55 pm

> Hi,
>
>
>
>
>
> Many thanks,
> Stefan
>
> --

Not to mention that if you come with a visa waiver intending to marry
the girl, you may find out that an important person of the ceremony
may be missing: yourself, as per the border officer's decision.

Being in plane back to the UK isn't the best place to be during your
wedding ceremony

Old May 5th 2007, 10:56 pm

> Hi,
>
>
>
>
>
> Many thanks,
> Stefan
>
> --

More info on the K-1 : http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigra...94.html#Filing

Old May 6th 2007, 12:21 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

If she is diligent she can apply for the first part of the K-1 Fiancee Visa by the end of the week for you. She needs to file I-129F and all the accompaying documentation needed with it. You can get ahead start on your end of the K-1 by applying for your documentation in the UK. With luck you will be here in about 6 months or so.

She can make a notation on the I-129F some place that she is pregnant and would like to expediate the petition but frankly, USCIS doesn't care that your birth control method didn't work. But you should be here by the time of the birth and can assume parenting immediately.

Good luck to you.

Originally Posted by SRuiz
Hi,

I'm hoping someone might have had experience with this before and can reassure me (or confirm our fears :S)

I'm British, my fiancee is a USC. We had planned to get married this summer, with me returning to the UK after the wedding and then filing the necessary papers to allow me to legally move over to the states.

However, things have been slightly complicated by developments after a recent visit. My fiancee is now pregnant with my child. Obviously we are delighted with this news, despite not planning for it to happen just yet! The only problem is, will the usual waiting periods still apply for the immigration process? The idea of her being out there without me during the pregnancy is unthinkable and is really worrying us both.

Can anyone shed some light on the situation?

Many thanks,
Stefan
Old May 6th 2007, 1:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by [email protected]
Not to mention that if you come with a visa waiver intending to marry
the girl, you may find out that an important person of the ceremony
may be missing: yourself, as per the border officer's decision.

Being in plane back to the UK isn't the best place to be during your
wedding ceremony
I got married in the States two years ago on a Visa Waiver without any trouble. I simply told the immigration officer that I was "visiting friends", which was true. I didn't tell him I was going to marry a US citizen, since it was none of his business. I was after all planning to fly back to London ten days after the ceremony and had a job to go back to.
Old May 6th 2007, 3:35 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Marocco
I got married in the States two years ago on a Visa Waiver without any trouble. I simply told the immigration officer that I was "visiting friends", which was true. I didn't tell him I was going to marry a US citizen, since it was none of his business. I was after all planning to fly back to London ten days after the ceremony and had a job to go back to.

Even if you told him you were going to get married that trip, you would not have had a problem since you were not intending to say to adjust status.

Therein is the issue .... fraudulent intent if you planned to marry and remain
Old May 8th 2007, 6:56 pm
Forum Regular

switiksangel is an unknown quantity at this point

I came in with a tourist visa, stated that I was going to get married here, had tickets to show that he was flying back to my then country of residence and told all this to an immigration officer who said " aw that's so nice, can I come with you to Spain too?" Wished me good luck and I got stamped, welcomed, we got married and we left together.

Make sure you have documentation stating you are on vacation from your job and that YOU DO have a job to get back to, things to attend to that you can only do back in your home country. You should not have any problems unless you get someone who's in a foul mood. But hey, give the lady a lovely love story.