Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Help Im a newbie and Im confused reImmigration

Wikiposts

Help Im a newbie and Im confused reImmigration

Old Jul 3rd 2008, 12:02 am
Just Joined

jancox is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help Im a newbie and Im confused reImmigration

Hi, some help here please. Myself and my partner (we are not married) and our son, and my other son from my first marriage and my two dogs. (phew), would like to immigrate to Florida. I own my house worth 200K GBP, from the little research I have done Im now confused. Any ideas please on what visa I should apply for because their doesnt appear to be one for ME ??? i.e. Im not a degree holder, I dont have a million dollars to invest, blah blah......Could sell my house and buy in florida now, and not work and live off the interest ! but want to be legal and work and be part of the community. So. in your hands I leave my case, any questions shout ... any and all help appreciated. Now that I have scratched the surface of Immigration Im even more confused... any one who can explain things in simple english I would so love to hear from you. regards and thanks Jan x Oh and just a thought, did think of renting out my house and renting one in florida for a year and seeing how it goes i.e. green card and job etc, but lots of info I have obtained says dont do that as it takes longer when in USA to obtain all legalities that I need ??

Last edited by jancox; Jul 3rd 2008 at 12:03 am. Reason: addition
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 12:20 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help Im a newbie and Im confused reImmigration

Originally Posted by jancox
Any ideas please on what visa I should apply for because their doesnt appear to be one for ME ?
There are only so many paths to a visa. Check out this link and see if anything fits. If nothing fits, then I'm afraid there's no way it's going to happen. http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA.

... any one who can explain things in simple english I would so love to hear from you
There are many of us who can explain the process in simple terms... but unless you qualify for a visa, the information you receive will have no basis for further action.

Ian
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 1:51 am
Just Joined

OK, the other side to the coin is, my other half was dual national usa uk as he lived in the us for 10 years, he has let his green card lapse, but having spoken to the embassy this morning, apparently he can re-apply, and they have told him he can... and he can get a letter of transport because he lost his usa passport, so, I think we are done now. phewwww
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 1:52 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

OK, the other side to the coin is, my other half was dual national usa uk as he lived in the us for 10 years, he has let his green card lapse, but having spoken to the embassy this morning, apparently he can re-apply, and they have told him he can... and he can get a letter of transport because he lost his usa passport, so, I think we are done now. phewwww
that makes no sense whatsoever
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 1:53 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

what visa I should apply for because their doesnt appear to be one for ME ???
that's because there isn't one.
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 2:00 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Green Card holders don't get US passports. You're totally confused. Find out his actual status (is he a US Citizen or not?) and then post your questions.

From what you've told us so far, you don't have a hope in hell of getting a visa or Permanent Residency (aka a "Green Card") on your own merits. Your only real hope is your husband's "Dual Nationality", but you need to tell us if he's actually a US Citizen (either by birth or by Naturalization) or just a former Permanent Resident (Green Card holder) who's let his residency lapse (in which case you're probably out of luck too).

Last edited by dbj1000; Jul 3rd 2008 at 2:03 am.
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 2:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Dual national? US passport? You mean he is a US citizen? His citizenship cannot "lapse". Green card lapsed? So he isn't a US citizen? Or is he?

It's moot, anyway, because he is your EX. He can't help you now, even if he wanted to. Unless YOU have a green card or American passport you are out of luck. Unfortunately, I think your chances are slim to none, and slim just left town.
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 2:48 am
Resident Sillycow

mellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bill_S

Dual national? US passport? You mean he is a US citizen? His citizenship cannot "lapse". Green card lapsed? So he isn't a US citizen? Or is he?

It's moot, anyway, because he is your EX. He can't help you now, even if he wanted to. Unless YOU have a green card or American passport you are out of luck. Unfortunately, I think your chances are slim to none, and slim just left town.
I dont think he is the EX...shes not married to him from what I can gather.......Im sorry to say I think you have a really slim chance tho
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 3:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mellybrown
I dont think he is the EX...shes not married to him from what I can gather.......Im sorry to say I think you have a really slim chance tho
Oops, you are right. She was talking about the current partner, not the ex. I misread the post. It's still extremely confusing. Unless he's a citizen, and they get married, and she gets permission to remove the first son from the UK, she has little chance.
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 4:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute

As others have mentioned, you should find out if your other half is a US citizen or just a permanent resident (green card holder). If the former, you should have no problems moving to the US after you get married (assuming you are a woman, of course).
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

Bladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of light

One option is to apply for a B2 visa and "retire" to Florida. You would only be able to stay there for six months in a year though, but that may be enough time to think things through and decide if you actually want to live there.

Otherwise, your best bet may be through a work visa. It's not easy, but if you or your spouse get a job with a company willing to transfer you to the US, you can live in the US while you work for the company.

There is no easy route unless you are highly qualified, very rich or have close family ties to the US. Good luck!
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 5:15 pm
Just Joined

OK how about a B2 Visa, read loads on this last night, however tired now, so the info I have gleened is as follows, 100K USD will probably get me a business that will allow me entry and work the business. I am looking for a landscape gardening business with the relevant mowers etc, and staff, found one ! 3 staff and 82,000 USD... myself and other half will work business, he will do manual as he is a gardener here in UK, I will do books and Invoicing as can do that myself and have done so in the past. that leaves me 320K usd to buy a house and a couple of cars and Invest the rest and earn some interest at the same time. Expand the business obviously, employ more people in the local area. Then on some sites I read that 200KUSD is preferable, anyone got any ideas on what the REAL figure is. EWW THATS A E2 VISA, SORRY ITS 5 AM COULDNT SLEEP... E2

Last edited by jancox; Jul 3rd 2008 at 5:16 pm. Reason: mistake
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 11:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute

Did you find out if your husband is a US citizen or a green card holder? I would advise you to consider the potential problems connected to an E2 visa. Your sons wouldn't be able to stay after the age of 21 unless they qualified on their own merits. Also, I don't think it's a very good idea to set up a business right at the beginning of a major recession. If your business goes under you may lose all your savings and have to leave the US.
Old Jul 4th 2008, 12:09 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

OK how about a B2 Visa, read loads on this last night, however tired now, so the info I have gleened is as follows, 100K USD will probably get me a business that will allow me entry and work the business. I am looking for a landscape gardening business with the relevant mowers etc, and staff, found one ! 3 staff and 82,000 USD... myself and other half will work business, he will do manual as he is a gardener here in UK, I will do books and Invoicing as can do that myself and have done so in the past. that leaves me 320K usd to buy a house and a couple of cars and Invest the rest and earn some interest at the same time. Expand the business obviously, employ more people in the local area. Then on some sites I read that 200KUSD is preferable, anyone got any ideas on what the REAL figure is. EWW THATS A E2 VISA, SORRY ITS 5 AM COULDNT SLEEP... E2

For 82K you will get a couple of mowers and a trailer and a couple of Mexican laborers..not even on the books ..in the current job situation here..evey man and his unemployed dog are becoming lawn men...never mind the heat which would kill you off anyway...And with your 82k the current owner would buy himself a nice new truck and trailer and take all his customers back ...

The consulate would never go for that anyway ..$200K is about the current minimum..you would need to have commercial space as well ...i.e ..a proper business
Old Jul 4th 2008, 2:45 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Marocco
Did you find out if your husband is a US citizen or a green card holder? I would advise you to consider the potential problems connected to an E2 visa. Your sons wouldn't be able to stay after the age of 21 unless they qualified on their own merits. Also, I don't think it's a very good idea to set up a business right at the beginning of a major recession. If your business goes under you may lose all your savings and have to leave the US.
Green card holder with the right to live and work in the USA. This expired 01, however the us embassy have told him to get a flight out - come back, say he has lost his docs, they will give him a letter of transportation and he can replace his documents. He has his social security number and he did renew his drivers licence last year whilst we were in florida.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.