Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Help! - I don't want to have to hurt someone..

Help! - I don't want to have to hurt someone..

Old Nov 18th 2008, 8:12 pm
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help! - I don't want to have to hurt someone..

Samba, I used to have a woman working for me who'd sabotage me wherever possible.

I practiced stock-phrases and had them to hand whenever she misbehaved - usually at big meetings where she could undermine me infront of the most people.

Some handyones we're "Why do you need to know?" or "I don't think that's part of your remit" or "this isn't an appropriate forum to discuss this"

Anyway, those would shut her down.

I suggest that you get a few of your own like "I'm sorry, being a PE teacher isn't such a deal in the UK, you'll have to excuse me when I don't treat it as such"

"In England, we're not obsessed with this sort of thing, so if you want me to do something, just ask nicely"

"is it my accent that makes you uncomfortable? or something about me personally? I can slow down if that will help you talk to me with more manners"
Old Nov 18th 2008, 8:12 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

A heart warming family tale.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wanda_Holloway

"Wanda Holloway is a woman from Texas, known for hiring a hit man to kill the mother of her daughter's cheerleading rival."
Old Nov 18th 2008, 8:14 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
I've coached and co-coached my kid's soccer team for three years.
All the kids on the team are great. Some have the killer instinct and are naturals. We also "carry" a couple of floaters who just drift around following the game. They are either too timid, unsure, or soccer is just not their thing.

It's never been a problem. It's the bell-curve of life, right? Well, I was rather saddened to hear that during the end-of-season party/retrospective, some of the parents say their kids wont be back. They want to position their kids in "more competitive" teams (we're 6-1-1 this season, 7-0-1 last season...).

They don't want to have any "floaters" on the team any more and are literally horse trading their kids with leagues and coaches. "Yeah, we have a slot lined up for little Johnny.)

I think that's kind of sad when the kid is seven years of age. Let them enjoy it.
I was surprised how calculating some parents are regarding their children's education. Some have it all planned out down to the slightest detail before the kids are born. One set of parents at my daughter's school had it all figured out...they wanted her to go to a particular Ivy...and had even picked out her dorm room before she was in high school. Guess what...they got her into a particular sport...sucked up to the coach...she didn't even apply to the uni because they offered her a place first.
Old Nov 18th 2008, 8:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

sambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
Nah, this is someone's life, no matter how repugnant and undeserving that person is. Best advice, take the high road. Best revenge is to live well.
It'll drive her batty...

Mudkip.
((sighhhhh)).. okay.. i'll try that... (so, not even a little slap then? )
Old Nov 18th 2008, 8:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

sambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trixie_b
Samba, I used to have a woman working for me who'd sabotage me wherever possible.

I practiced stock-phrases and had them to hand whenever she misbehaved - usually at big meetings where she could undermine me infront of the most people.

Some handyones we're "Why do you need to know?" or "I don't think that's part of your remit" or "this isn't an appropriate forum to discuss this"

I suggest that you get a few of your own like "I'm sorry, being a PE teacher isn't such a deal in the UK, you'll have to excuse me when I don't treat it as such"

"In England, we're not obsessed with this sort of thing, so if you want me to do something, just ask nicely"

"is it my accent that makes you uncomfortable? or something about me personally? I can slow down if that will help you talk to me with more manners"

Trixie.. those are fantastic.. I'm especially liking the last one.. thank you!!!!
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

It's only middle school? I'd assumed it was at least juniors and seniors in high school.
All the cheer moms (bar one my best friend here) that I've met are stunted at the grand old age of 17. So deal with them on that level. Insecure, clicky, jealous, all want to tbe the most popular girl, and will back stab their way to the top of the pile. The only way I've seen to shut up the b*tches is to answer back and don't stand for any cr*p. Good luck, I'll be thinking of you
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sambapink
So, theres this woman.. Shes the cheerleading coach for my daughters team.. She seems to not like me at all.. hmmm, Not even had a proper conversation with the woman.

I'm the kind of mum that gets my kids to practice on time, will make sure they always have what they need.. contribute when needed and always there for games etc.. However, I am not and never wish to be in the 'click' .. I mind my own.. don't get the 'in' jokes.. don't sit and chitter chatter with the mums. Now thats not to say i'm not friendly and smile and chat if someone comes up to me (not that anyone does).. to be honest most of the time I haven't a clue what there going on about!

Well, this coach has taken a dislike of me.. A few times she has commented on my accent and mocking certain expressions I use.. and if I say something to her, she just looks at me with a weird expression as if to say 'i have NO idea what your saying'.. Ignorant Bitch! - Last week we had a 'moms meeting' about this bloody Florida trip.. I sat and listened, put my name down for volunteering and contributed items for baskets to be raffled. Anyway, in front of everyone she says all sarcastically "your not saying much, have you got anything to contribute' :curse:

None of the mums had volunteered for 'security duty' at cheer competition on Sunday.. and i could have bet my mortgage that she would email me personally to ask me to do it.. and she did.. I have no problem doing it, but I'm pissed off thats she has singled me out.

This is what gets my goat most.. A few weeks back at a match the football players chose a cheerleader to wear their shirt.. My daughter got the star players shirt.. whoopdy doooo.. who gives a toss.. well apperantely quite a few of the mums.. because there little angel didn't get it!!! - and especially this coach it would appear.. I haven't the time or energy to be dealing with the ridiculousness of it all

And I have to spend a week with these people.. I swear to god someone will get hurt!!

How do I deal with this woman.. I want to say something to her to put her in her place.. whilst being cool and collected!! - (NOT my best attributes!)

I feel for you. I've been here 21 years and just can't manage to do that whole. "How are you?" Fake compliments and hateful cliqueness that many Americans seem to excel at in the corporate and private world.
I've had numerous comments over the years from 'only joking' snide remarks to confrontations.
I remember in 1991 we were at a huge company meeting at the Grand Ole Oprey house in Nashville when the Gulf war broke out and we saw the first pictures on TV via CNN. You could see the Americans in the confernce room getting all patriotic as is to be expected. One of my American colleagues, who I could not stand, announced to our group that if the war escalated Tom would not have to go as he was not American. I calmly put him in his place by informing him that I had registered with selective services which was a pre-requisite of my legal residence. I would be drafted before him due to me falling in the draught age 18 -26 and he would be called after me as he was to old for the immediate draught. That shut him right up, although I actually felt like punching him in the face for singling me out and trying to embarress me :curse: I'm afraid it's just par for the course and part of the price for being an immigrant. I've had many examples over the years.
I guess you either brush it off or make a stance with some good old British sarcasm and piss-takes. They usually have little comeback if you really get stuck into them in British fashion and are usually slow with quips Problem is you may alienate yourself and your daughter or it could make her STFU. It's your choice.

I say get pissed, take the piss and start a big cat fight at the next meeting before being hauled off by security screaming drunken profanities. You know you want to
Old Nov 18th 2008, 8:18 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trixie_b

I am standing here at my desk giving a standing ovation. Bravo! Bravo!
Old Nov 18th 2008, 8:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Leslie66
A heart warming family tale.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wanda_Holloway

"Wanda Holloway is a woman from Texas, known for hiring a hit man to kill the mother of her daughter's cheerleading rival."
The scariest thing about that is... I absolutely wouldn't put it past some of these mums.. I know I am not the most complimentary person when it somes to cheerleading - and i'm trying my hardest to appreciate the 'art' of it.. but truely, truely.. it just ain't that important!!
Old Nov 18th 2008, 8:23 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

The scariest thing about that is... I absolutely wouldn't put it past some of these mums.. I know I am not the most complimentary person when it somes to cheerleading - and i'm trying my hardest to appreciate the 'art' of it.. but truely, truely.. it just ain't that important!!
It may not be important to you and I but it's the be all and end all to some of the parents and kids.
Old Nov 18th 2008, 8:31 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

if you want to avoid security duty the next time just make sure you volunteer for something that would clash with it beforehand. OR make out like its the best thing ever and you MUST do it - so the old cow will try and give the priviledge to someone else! (ie double bluff!).

I must admit - this kind of thing is something i so dont look forward to. Its many years away (eldest is 4!) but it still fills me with dread! Im never going to be a yummy mummy in a million years and can only begin to imagine how much they will dis me behind my back!
Old Nov 18th 2008, 8:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
It's only middle school? I'd assumed it was at least juniors and seniors in high school.
All the cheer moms (bar one my best friend here) that I've met are stunted at the grand old age of 17. So deal with them on that level. Insecure, clicky, jealous, all want to tbe the most popular girl, and will back stab their way to the top of the pile. The only way I've seen to shut up the b*tches is to answer back and don't stand for any cr*p. Good luck, I'll be thinking of you
The girls are between 11 and 14 years old.. and heres the thing.. the girls themselves are fine.. they have welcomed my daughter and all been quite lovely.. Its the mothers!!!... My only saving grace is my daughters best friend is on the team, and her mum is semi-normal.. (she was able to tell me what to do when it was my turn to do snack - I genuinely didn't know WHAT to do).. She too takes a back seat. Her daughter is her 3rd child, after 2 boys. And infact her OH said something interesting to me a few weeks back..

Their 2 boys have gone off to college now.. both played football in high school... they did the whole training every night of the week.. hired personal trainers for their boys, so they would be the 'best' and always get picked and not be sat on the bench.. He said it became their life.. it consumed everything. With their daughter they had begun the merry-go-round again, this time with softball.. Their daughter begged them to let her give it up.. but they made her continue.. and then they just decided "whats it all about"... she wanted to do Cheer.. and they let her.. she loves it and they are happy to go along with it.. It was quite refreshing to see that they had realised that they had gone completely over board on their boys... they had been those 'pushy parents' and weren't going to do the same to their daughter..
Old Nov 18th 2008, 8:37 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Truthfully, I hate the entire thing. Cheerleading is right up there with beauty pageants, IMO.

I don't know how long you've been in the states but for the sake of argument - just try to remember how hard it is for kids to make new friends in new environments. Actually it is a hellish existence to be an outsider in high school in America. If your daughter likes cheerleading and is good at it - maybe you could just overlook all of the BS for her sake? Cheerleading will make her popular and can help her academically as well (scholarships, athletics, connections etc). I definitely wouldn't go to the extreme of feeding the beast by becoming a "cheerleader mom" .... but just remember that anything you do could be used against her. It's an evil and vindictive bitch-faced environment but as long as you are going to let her do it - you really have to play nice with the other mom's/coaches/etc. Sorry. I know it would be much more fun to stab the woman in the face but she'd just come back stronger and meaner.
Old Nov 18th 2008, 8:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

I absolutely dread the day that I would have to take my child to a cheerleading practice. Actually, I may outright ban my future daughter(s) from anything related to cheerleading. Dance maybe, but never cheerleading.

Samba, my smart-ass mouth would probably spout off something like: Grow the f&ck up biatches, and get some godd@amn perspective.
Old Nov 18th 2008, 8:42 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

So, theres this woman.. Shes the cheerleading coach for my daughters team.. She seems to not like me at all.. hmmm, Not even had a proper conversation with the woman.

I'm the kind of mum that gets my kids to practice on time, will make sure they always have what they need.. contribute when needed and always there for games etc.. However, I am not and never wish to be in the 'click' .. I mind my own.. don't get the 'in' jokes.. don't sit and chitter chatter with the mums. Now thats not to say i'm not friendly and smile and chat if someone comes up to me (not that anyone does).. to be honest most of the time I haven't a clue what there going on about!

Well, this coach has taken a dislike of me.. A few times she has commented on my accent and mocking certain expressions I use.. and if I say something to her, she just looks at me with a weird expression as if to say 'i have NO idea what your saying'.. Ignorant Bitch! - Last week we had a 'moms meeting' about this bloody Florida trip.. I sat and listened, put my name down for volunteering and contributed items for baskets to be raffled. Anyway, in front of everyone she says all sarcastically "your not saying much, have you got anything to contribute' :curse:

None of the mums had volunteered for 'security duty' at cheer competition on Sunday.. and i could have bet my mortgage that she would email me personally to ask me to do it.. and she did.. I have no problem doing it, but I'm pissed off thats she has singled me out.

This is what gets my goat most.. A few weeks back at a match the football players chose a cheerleader to wear their shirt.. My daughter got the star players shirt.. whoopdy doooo.. who gives a toss.. well apperantely quite a few of the mums.. because there little angel didn't get it!!! - and especially this coach it would appear.. I haven't the time or energy to be dealing with the ridiculousness of it all

And I have to spend a week with these people.. I swear to god someone will get hurt!!

How do I deal with this woman.. I want to say something to her to put her in her place.. whilst being cool and collected!! - (NOT my best attributes!)
You've entered Dante's Eighth Circle of Hell (the ninth and final Circle being the DMV.) You may have stumbled upon the single most conniving, evil subculture within American society that exists outside of the US government. Stepford with a nasty streak.

Perhaps your daughter needs a new hobby. The chess club, marching band, stamp collecting club and urban prostitution would be safer, more dignified choices.

Best of luck to you, you're going to need it. If you come to hate the United States as a result of this experience, don't blame me, I tried to warn you...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.