British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   Help and hints wanted for immigration to usa (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/help-hints-wanted-immigration-usa-512366/)

karlcowling Feb 6th 2008 8:55 pm

Help and hints wanted for immigration to usa

Hi, I am new to this forum and am totally baffled as to how myself and family can move to and live permenantly in the USA. Visited many times and love the whole set up and way of life. Everything appears very proffensionally run. I am a serving police officer and my wife is currently in year 2 of a 2 year pharmacists dispensers qualification course. Two sons aged 19 and 12. So whats the score.....? Do I have to suffer the UK forever or can any one give me some advice as to moving to the most organised country in the world?

English Muffin Feb 6th 2008 8:58 pm

Re: Help and hints wanted for immigration to usa

Originally Posted by karlcowling (Post 5896056)
Hi, I am new to this forum and am totally baffled as to how myself and family can move to and live permenantly in the USA. Visited many times and love the whole set up and way of life. Everything appears very proffensionally run. I am a serving police officer and my wife is currently in year 2 of a 2 year pharmacists dispensers qualification course. Two sons aged 19 and 12. So whats the score.....? Do I have to suffer the UK forever or can any one give me some advice as to moving to the most organised country in the world?

It's very difficult I'm afraid. You need to read this and see if you fit any of the criteria.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA

Good luck.

ian-mstm Feb 6th 2008 9:45 pm

Do I have to suffer the UK forever or can any one give me some advice as to moving to the most organised country in the world?

EM has given you a great link... look it over and see what fits. I must say though, the grass is always greener... and if you think the US is "the most organised country in the world" I'm afraid you're in for a let down! :)

Ian

Elvira Feb 6th 2008 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 5896281)
EM has given you a great link... look it over and see what fits. I must say though, the grass is always greener... and if you think the US is "the most organised country in the world" I'm afraid you're in for a let down! :)

Ian

I am biting my tongue... :lol:

ian-mstm Feb 6th 2008 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by Elvira (Post 5896290)

PM on the way shortly...

Ian

English Muffin Feb 6th 2008 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by Elvira (Post 5896290)

Me too... and I've only been here 2 weeks. :D

Noorah101 Feb 6th 2008 9:49 pm

"most organised" excludes USCIS, of course!!

Elvira Feb 6th 2008 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 5896294)
"most organised" excludes USCIS, of course!!

a cross and a head of garlic............ quick!!! :rofl:

JEM3110 Feb 6th 2008 10:40 pm

Can I just say, I don't blame you for wanting out of UK, I think the way Gordon Clown is treating the British Police force is disgusting. It IS difficult to get into US but not impossible. Oh and I think the grass IS greener (and I'm from Wales - "Green, green grass of home"....? oh never mind!) Good luck with it all. Have you looked into Australia or Canada, I mean, if you're that fed up with old Blighty? Just a thought...

Ray Feb 6th 2008 11:34 pm

Hi, I.....? Do I have to suffer the UK forever or can any one give me some advice as to moving to the most organised country in the world?

Just out of interest where did you visit to get this most organized view

Elvira Feb 6th 2008 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by JEM3110 (Post 5896485)
Can I just say, I don't blame you for wanting out of UK, I think the way Gordon Clown is treating the British Police force is disgusting. It IS difficult to get into US but not impossible. Oh and I think the grass IS greener (and I'm from Wales - "Green, green grass of home"....? oh never mind!) Good luck with it all. Have you looked into Australia or Canada, I mean, if you're that fed up with old Blighty? Just a thought...

Be sure to relinquish your British passport - clearly you won't be needing it anymore...

scrubbedexpat099 Feb 7th 2008 1:22 am

Six of one, half a dozen of the other, I just go for different.

However on the basis of what has been posted, best to look elsewhere.

Sally Redux Feb 7th 2008 1:27 am

moving to the most organised country in the world?

Wasn't that Nazi Germany?

AdobePinon Feb 7th 2008 1:33 am

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 5897007)
Six of one, half a dozen of the other, I just go for different.

However on the basis of what has been posted, best to look elsewhere.

Not to mention that it's hard to be a cop here without US citizenship.

chicagojlo Feb 7th 2008 2:47 am

OK I love living here but organised? Hmm. I used to live in Holland which was badly organised but even in a foreign language I could figure my way. I was ready to use my return ticket 3 weeks into being here after the frustration of dealing with how many circles you have to run around in to get anything done here. You get used to it over time, but wow.