Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Help...been to US before. For DS-156

Help...been to US before. For DS-156

Old Oct 16th 2002, 7:06 am
Just Joined

clearwater 2003 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help...been to US before. For DS-156

My fiance petitioned me for a K1 visa and it was approved here in Manila. I was filling out the DS 156 from packet 3 and on questions 27 & 28, it asks about being in the US before. I have back in the 1980s for a few years and even went to school there. I don't know what my family was doing at the time because I was only about 7 years old. I left when I was to go back to Manila when I was 13. Would this affect me because I was still a minor? I did overstay because it was a tourist visa for a year. I have lived in Manila ever since and have not been back. How should I answer these questions because I want to be honest and take accountability but I do want my visa approved.
Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks
Old Oct 16th 2002, 7:19 am
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help...been to US before. For DS-156

Originally posted by clearwater 2003:
My fiance petitioned me for a K1 visa and it was approved here in Manila. I was filling out the DS 156 from packet 3 and on questions 27 & 28, it asks about being in the US before. I have back in the 1980s for a few years and even went to school there. I don't know what my family was doing at the time because I was only about 7 years old. I left when I was to go back to Manila when I was 13. Would this affect me because I was still a minor? I did overstay because it was a tourist visa for a year. I have lived in Manila ever since and have not been back. How should I answer these questions because I want to be honest and take accountability but I do want my visa approved.
Hi,

Technically you didn't overstay. At 7 you have no culpability at all. You parents overstayed. I am not a lawyer but I don't think it can be held against you because you had no choice in the matter, you didn't stay and work whilst your parents went home.

Just put down the times you went and in the visa bit put parents visa (which is true if you did not have your own passport you must have been on your parents passport and visa)

Good Luck

Patrick
Old Oct 16th 2002, 3:29 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Help...been to US before. For DS-156

Originally posted by clearwater 2003:
The current law regarding bad things happening becuase of overstays applies ONLY to overstays AFTER April 1, 1997. Disclose the prior stays and leave it at that. It should have no effect.

Manila has a scary reputation -- however, I was on a panel at the 1996 AILA national conference on "Problem Consulates" [I spoke about Seoul]. The speaker on Manila started out with the biggest problem lawyers encounter in dealing with Manila was "Filipinos."

This is not meant as an insult, but the trick in dealing with Manila is to be excruciatingly honest. Dislose the prior stay -- it won't suprise them the least and it won't hurt you.

Good luck.