hello - Question about ESTA

Old Feb 10th 2013, 10:39 am
Just Joined

jojo1961 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question hello - Question about ESTA

I am in a minefield here, can someone help me, I am looking to go to LA for a 3week holiday and would like to travel under the ESTA, I have a criminal conviction for theft dating back to 2006, I pleaded guilty and received 100hrs community service, and was made to repay back what I stole...I am 51 yrs old and this has been my one and only conviction, do I declare it under the moral turptitude question as I wasn't imprisoned, I really don't understand all the jargon that is posted on sites while looking for information.
Old Feb 10th 2013, 11:02 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: hello

Originally Posted by jojo1961
I am looking to go to LA for a 3week holiday and would like to travel under the ESTA, I have a criminal conviction for theft dating back to 2006...
You have a conviction for theft. Theft is a CIMT. You are not eligible for ESTA. You'll need a B-2 visa.

... do I declare it under the moral turptitude question as I wasn't imprisoned...
The quesiton doesn't ask whether or not you were imprisoned. It asks whether or not you were arrested or convicted of a CIMT. You were, ergo, you aren't eligible for ESTA.

Ian
Old Feb 10th 2013, 11:07 am
Just Joined

ok thank you, will make enquires
Old Feb 10th 2013, 11:26 am
Just Joined

it also mentions about spending time in prison which I didn't do
Old Feb 10th 2013, 12:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

The questions are all "or" based, not "and" based. If one is no you still have to apply the answers to the others. If you really want to find out what your best option is, get with an immigration lawyer and have them go over all the paperwork regarding your crime.
Old Feb 10th 2013, 2:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Awesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond repute

...and then, of course, you could do what most people in your situation do - and say nothing, don't mention it in the ESTA and breeze-in to the US without a care.
I'm not advocating dishonesty, you understand - just stating the reality.
Old Feb 10th 2013, 2:57 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Respectfully, you can't pick and choose which parts of the question apply and which don't! They all apply.

Ian
Old Feb 10th 2013, 4:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Awesome Welles
...and then, of course, you could do what most people in your situation do - and say nothing, don't mention it in the ESTA and breeze-in to the US without a care.
The OP would really be in a minefield if they did that...
Old Feb 10th 2013, 6:52 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Awesome Welles
When I worked at Heathrow part of my job was meeting people who had been deported from, or refused entry to, other countries.

The breeze-in to the US without a care part was not 100% successful.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 7:27 am
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

I am in a minefield here, can someone help me, I am looking to go to LA for a 3week holiday and would like to travel under the ESTA, I have a criminal conviction for theft dating back to 2006, I pleaded guilty and received 100hrs community service, and was made to repay back what I stole...I am 51 yrs old and this has been my one and only conviction, do I declare it under the moral turptitude question as I wasn't imprisoned, I really don't understand all the jargon that is posted on sites while looking for information.
Let's say this clearly before we go any further. Forget about ESTA for the rest of your life. It is illegal under US immigration law for you not to declare the CIMT; but if you do declare it, any ESTA will be denied. Therefore you're not going to the USA (legally at any rate) using the VWP.

First step for you is to apply for an ACPO certificate. Then collect together any other supporting documentation you may need (such as court records detailing your conviction and evidence of your work/home/financial situation in your country of residence).

You will need to apply for a B2 visa through the US embassy. It will almost certainly also be denied beacuse of the CIMT and you will need to be recommended for a waiver of ineligibility.

The process is slow and expensive. Based on recent experiences documented on this forum, I'd estimate that if you start your application right now, today, you might have permission to travel to the USA by August or September.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 7:30 am
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
The questions are all "or" based, not "and" based. If one is no you still have to apply the answers to the others. If you really want to find out what your best option is, get with an immigration lawyer and have them go over all the paperwork regarding your crime.
An immigration lawyer would be a total waste of time and money in this case. Theft is a CIMT. The OP needs to apply for a visa. End of story.
Old Feb 13th 2013, 5:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Awesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
When I worked at Heathrow part of my job was meeting people who had been deported from, or refused entry to, other countries.

The breeze-in to the US without a care part was not 100% successful.
I didn't say it was 100% successful. I didn't recommend it either. I merely stated a fact (and it is most definitely a fact). Most people with mild to moderate CIMT's don't mention them and never have issues when utilizing ESTA. Personally I'd far prefer that we could screen out every single degenerate scumball and refuse them access to this land of milk and honey, but it is neither practical or logistically achievable.