Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Health Insurance for new immigrants

Health Insurance for new immigrants

Old Feb 22nd 2001, 7:35 am
BHarris101

When a new immigrant arrives what is the proceedure for health insurance? and are there
any problems or pitfalls to watch out for?

Old Feb 22nd 2001, 8:09 am
Joachim Feise

BHarris101 wrote:
>
> When a new immigrant arrives what is the proceedure for health insurance? and are there
> any problems or pitfalls to watch out for?

There is no mandatory health insurance in the US, unlike in most Western European
countries. A lot of employers have group agreements with health care providers, and they
enroll you in there, usually after 90 days. If your employer doesn't, you should get
health insurance on your own.

-Joe

Old Feb 23rd 2001, 2:04 am
pmohazzabi

>When a new immigrant arrives what is the proceedure for health insurance?
and
>are there any problems or pitfalls to watch out for?

Welcome to America, in US about 40million people have no health insurance either due to
high cost or Insurance companies do not want insure them.

Only two groups enjoying affordable health care, Poors and Very rich peoples. Poor peoples
can get goverment help ( Ie NEDICAID). Rich people have enough money an do not need health
insurance.

If you fall into two groups you are lucky, if not goog lucks.

US is the only country in the world which odes not have a National Health Insurance.

----- Posted via NewsOne.Net: Free (anonymous) Usenet News via the Web -----
http://newsone.net/ -- Free reading and anonymous posting to 60,000+ groups NewsOne.Net
prohibits users from posting spam. If this or other posts made through NewsOne.Net
violate posting guidelines, email [email protected]

Old Feb 23rd 2001, 2:20 am
Carlos Antunes

> Welcome to America, in US about 40million people have no health insurance either due to
> high cost or Insurance companies do not want insure them.
>

Funny how you know exactly the reasons. Do you have any reliable sources or just
made this up?

>
> Only two groups enjoying affordable health care, Poors and Very rich peoples.
>

I am not poor and definitely not rich and I do have and I do afford the best health
insurance available. It's just a question of having your priorities right, that is,
money for food, housing and health. The rest is descritionary. But I bet you don't see
it that way.

>
> US is the only country in the world which odes not have a National Health Insurance.
>

Please, give me one good reason I should be forced to pay for YOUR care.

Thank you!

Regards, Carlos Antunes.

--
"I swear by my life and by my love of it - that I will never live for the sake of another
man, nor ask another man to live for mine."
-- John Galt, hero of Atlas Shrugged

Old Feb 23rd 2001, 2:21 am
Carlos Antunes

> Welcome to America, in US about 40million people have no health insurance either due to
> high cost or Insurance companies do not want insure them.
>

Funny how you know exactly the reasons. Do you have any reliable sources or just
made this up?

>
> Only two groups enjoying affordable health care, Poors and Very rich peoples.
>

I am not poor and definitely not rich and I do have and I do afford the best health
insurance available. It's just a question of having your priorities right, that is,
money for food, housing and health. The rest is discretionary. But I bet you don't see
it that way.

>
> US is the only country in the world which odes not have a National Health Insurance.
>

Please, give me one good reason I should be forced to pay for YOUR care.

Thank you!

Regards, Carlos Antunes.

--
"I swear by my life and by my love of it - that I will never live for the sake of another

Old Feb 23rd 2001, 12:45 pm
Chris Moorehead

>>
>> Welcome to America, in US about 40million people have no health insurance either due to
>> high cost or Insurance companies do not want insure them.
>>
>
>Funny how you know exactly the reasons. Do you have any reliable sources or just
>made this up?

What other reasons would there be? I guess these people just don't WANT health care?

>
>>
>> Only two groups enjoying affordable health care, Poors and Very rich peoples.
>>
>
>I am not poor and definitely not rich and I do have and I do afford the best health
>insurance available. It's just a question of having your priorities right, that is,
>money for food, housing and health. The rest is discretionary. But I bet you don't see
>it that way.
>
>>
>> US is the only country in the world which odes not have a National Health Insurance.
>>
>
>Please, give me one good reason I should be forced to pay for YOUR care.

How about -- because it's more efficient & ultimately cheaper for everyone, including you?
The US has by far the highest per-person cost for health care in the world.

>Thank you!
>
>Regards, Carlos Antunes.
>
>--
>"I swear by my life and by my love of it - that I will never live for the sake of another
> man, nor ask another man to live for mine."
> -- John Galt, hero of Atlas Shrugged

Uh, oh -- we're dealing with a Randoid. I can see I'm wasting my time with this
discussion.

Chris
--
CHRISTOPHER J. MOOREHEAD Durham, NC [email protected]

"Many people would sooner die than think. In fact, they do."

-- Bertrand Russell

Old Feb 24th 2001, 2:19 am
Carlos Antunes

Chris Moorehead wrote:
>
> What other reasons would there be? I guess these people just don't WANT health care?
>

Maybe they think they are healthy and accept the risk of living without insurance. Or
maybe they spend all their money on the latest gizmos/cars/whatever and forget to save
some for insurance. I don't know for sure but, then again, I am not saying I do either.

>
> >Please, give me one good reason I should be forced to pay for YOUR care.
>
> How about -- because it's more efficient & ultimately cheaper for everyone, including
> you? The US has by far the highest per-person cost for health care in the world.
>

It's irrelevant because I am being stripped of my ability to choose. And I am not willing
to let go the "right to life, liberty and pursuit of happiness" this country was founded
on. Anyway, my experience with socialized medicine has never been as rosy as you describe
it here. Basically, with socialized medicine you have one big HMO run by the Government
for which you are forced to contribute, no matter whether you like the services or not.
And because it's an HMO, cost contention is an important priority. Personally, I believe
HMOs stink, private or Government run.

The reason for high cost health in the US is most likely related to the fact that people
don't usually pay for their care directly. This means that people don't shop around for
the best deals. Which means, again, that healthcare companies don't have the economic
incentive to increase productivity and lower costs. A good solution, in my opinion, would
be the introduction of generalized access to Medical Savings Accounts. These accounts
work pretty much like 401k accounts but their purpose is to allow people to use tax-free
money to pay for health-related expenses. In this case, patients would certainly shop
around for the best deal, eventually driving the costs down. Insurance would only be used
in catastrophic situations (above $5,000 or whatever amount each individual was
comfortable with).

>
> Uh, oh -- we're dealing with a Randoid. I can see I'm wasting my time with this
> discussion.
>

Well, I did not force you to discuss. Remember, I value freedom.

Regards, Carlos Antunes.

--
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...76/andresworld