Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Have stamp, can travel! (stolen expired greencard)

Have stamp, can travel! (stolen expired greencard)

Old Feb 5th 2013, 3:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

slummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to all
Default Have stamp, can travel! (stolen expired greencard)

I posted a couple of weeks ago about my expired greencard being stolen from our car. I was planning on using that together with the one year extension letter, to travel this summer. (I applied for removal of conditions and am expecting my 10 year GC to arrive at the end of this year.)

First I thought I would have to get a replacement GC for $450 but then realised that's not even possible, you can't replace an expired GC... Then I found out through here and google that there is something called Infopass appointments and I-551 stamps... I booked my Infopass appointment for today.

Got there early, and got called to the counter as soon as I walked in! My bum didn't even touch a seat... Was nervous, started talking too fast. The very nice lady told me to calm down and tell her what happened. I told her that I applied for removal of conditions already, my expired gc got stolen and I'm concerned that I won't be able to get a drivers license or travel this summer. I gave her my passport and the one year extension letter (I-751 receipt / I-797). She started looking on her computer. Then she said she would give me a stamp. I didn't dare to ask how long it's valid for but she said to herself something about 2014 so then I thought, oh a year, great! She gave me my passport back with the stamp and she also gave me study material for the civic test if I want to naturalize at the end of this year. I said thank you very much, I feel much better now!

So, in my case I did not need any proof of travel booked or need to travel. I just said that I want to travel. I didn't show the police report either but I had it with me.

The whole experience was pleasant and I'm very happy and relieved!

Old Feb 5th 2013, 3:36 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Have stamp, can travel! (stolen expired greencard)

Excellent! Congratulations.

Rene
Old Feb 5th 2013, 4:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

slummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to all
Default Re: Have stamp, can travel! (stolen expired greencard)

Thanks Rene!

Now I'm thinking there's no way they could have not given me a stamp. I have permanent residency for a year, I just needed proof of it. But hey you never know with immigration!

Next thing to research is naturalization... Let's hope I don't need to start a thread about that! lol

Last edited by slummymummy; Feb 5th 2013 at 4:22 pm. Reason: added