British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   H4 visa and being a Non-Exec Director (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/h4-visa-being-non-exec-director-842649/)

Noorah101 Sep 11th 2014 7:08 am

Re: H4 visa and being a Non-Exec Director

Originally Posted by tht (Post 11401529)
I am on the board of the condo I own along with 4 other owners, none are paid, the bylaws specifically state that no one is paid, and this is not a charity, that said it is also not a for profit business.

Correct. In the above scenario, that is a volunteer position because no one ever gets paid to do it.

Rene

tht Sep 11th 2014 7:08 am

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 11401366)
I agree. But in that example, you could possibly pay a nanny.

Rene

On a more serious note, I think the reason this example comes up is more in relation to peoples parents who do not have a legal right to work coming to the US for long visits and looking after grandchildren while the child's parents go back to work, which would be depriving a nanny of work.

luckily for me, my mother in law is a USC so at least she can change some dippers.... i'm sure my parents will be fine with not being able to do that...

Pulaski Sep 11th 2014 8:28 am

Originally Posted by tht (Post 11401567)
On a more serious note, I think the reason this example comes up is more in relation to peoples parents who do not have a legal right to work coming to the US for long visits and looking after grandchildren while the child's parents go back to work, which would be depriving a nanny of work. ....

I suspect that this is more of (or entirely) an issue for debate on internet forums than one that impacts real world visits by grand parents from overseas. :rolleyes:

sherbert Sep 11th 2014 11:08 am

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 11401510)

Take the word volunteer out of your sentence, because I don't think a position titled "Board Member"would ever be a true volunteer position. Most people would normally get paid for that.

Passive investment is easy. You put up the money and perhaps reap some benefit such as dividends, but you don't actually do any physical work for the business.

Um no. I have just recently been contacted about and have considered applying for a *volunteer* board position at a not-for-profit start up. No financial donation expected from my side; just strategic advice. And no compensation offered either.

crg Sep 11th 2014 11:03 pm

It's not easy to make these determinations. Grandparents vs. Teenage cousin helping with the baby.... is it temporary.... is there a quid pro quo.... is there a foreign residence being maintained......

Is the volunteer activity for a recognized charitable/Nonprofit benefiting the community at large?

As for the people coming to do construction work for free after a hurricane... The trade unions would likely go nuts if that was allowed. However, power companies from Canada routinely send trucks and teams to the US to help restore power after major storms when lines are down. The government allows that.

BunnyGirl Sep 11th 2014 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11401674)
I suspect that this is more of (or entirely) an issue for debate on internet forums than one that impacts real world visits by grand parents from overseas. :rolleyes:

Agreed. I know, at the very first contraction, my mum would be on the next plane over. I'm sure CBP aren't going to be interested in stopping her...

Steve_ Sep 12th 2014 11:54 am

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 11401510)
Passive investment is easy. You put up the money and perhaps reap some benefit such as dividends, but you don't actually do any physical work for the business.

Apparently there was a case (back when it was possible for Canadians to appeal on B-2) where a Canadian couple bought a condo block and rented it out and lived in it. And they were denied entry or removed, can't remember which. The question is how "passive" is it.

As for the relatives coming over to babysit, I guess it boils down to whether it is incidental to a wider visit, as with studying. I.e. if you visit the US and take a cooking course for a week, that's okay, but if you're studying to be a chef then you need F-1 or M-1. So if you enter expressly to look after the children, that's not permitted as a visitor.

Bearing in mind of course H-4 can do anything B-1 can, but given that a "visitor for business" is in the context of a "visit" and H-4 is not a visitor, not much help.

The one situation that comes up a lot is people working for a company that is abroad remotely. Which appears to be legal provided the person gets their remuneration from abroad, which effectively means they can't be in the US long enough to become resident for tax purposes (i.e. 183 days). Because it's de minimus.

Steve_ Sep 12th 2014 11:55 am

Originally Posted by crg (Post 11402221)
However, power companies from Canada routinely send trucks and teams to the US to help restore power after major storms when lines are down. The government allows that.

But that's a formal agreement between the power companies I'm assuming, B-1? Fulfilling a contract by making an installation?

crg Sep 12th 2014 12:45 pm

I would not assume an H4 can do whatever a B1 can do. In fact, there are several things I know they can't do. So I'd like to see something official, such as the section of the CFR or INA, that supports such a broad claim.

sherbert Jan 28th 2015 11:08 am

Originally Posted by sherbert (Post 11401808)
Um no. I have just recently been contacted about and have considered applying for a *volunteer* board position at a not-for-profit start up. No financial donation expected from my side; just strategic advice. And no compensation offered either.

An update on this. This above did not work out. But I'm in talks with another not-for-profit company based here in the USA about serving on their board. No compensation whatsoever is offered and the board/organisation is fully staffed by volunteers. But I am expected to make a small financial contribution to the organisation (which I find nuts but seems standard for almost all board positions on small not-for-profits the world over).

Is there anything in the H4-visa-from-hell rules that may prevent such a financial contribution?

Noorah101 Jan 28th 2015 11:47 am

You can give money to them, no problem. You just can't take money (or anything else) from them.

Rene

sherbert Jan 28th 2015 12:47 pm

Wouldn't it be considered an 'investment' of the non passive variety?

Pulaski Jan 28th 2015 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by sherbert (Post 11548549)

No, assuming that you're not getting any "benefit" (financial, tangible, or intangible) from making the contribution.

Noorah101 Jan 28th 2015 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by sherbert (Post 11548549)

No, but even if it were an investment, you are allowed to make investments. You are not allowed to work for any compensation.

Rene

Pulaski Jan 28th 2015 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 11548566)
No, but even if it were an investment, you are allowed to make investments. ....

Agreed, but Sherbert's concern is that it is an "investment" in a business of which he is a director. We agree there is no problem, as he is a volunteer, but he was comparing it to an H-4 holder investing in, say, a burger restaurant (which an H-4 can do), but then engaging in the management of said restaurant, which would not be permissible.